Buzz: Salary Cap is not working

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
The NRL’s salary cap is not working — and here is the proof.

You select the top 50 players across the competition and four clubs totally dominate the list with 33 inclusions – Melbourne Storm, the Roosters, the Rabbitohs and the Panthers.

The Storm top the list with 10 players, even allowing for the loss of skipper Cameron Smith.

They have three in the top 10 — Cameron Munster, Ryan Papenhuyzen and Harry Grant.

All clubs might spend the same amount of money but the class difference is huge.

At the opposite end of the ladder are seven clubs with only four Top 50 players between them.

Actually, just seems to be a list of the top 50 players.

This is why the NRL needs to look at having another attempt at introducing a rookie draft

I mean it means the ARLC & NRL would need to directly fund juniors rather than clubs introducing it.

But the excitement around it would be great, plus Imagine a struggling team picking up a Suali or Sam Walker rather than the Roosters

This is why the NRL needs to look at having another attempt at introducing a rookie draft

I mean it means the ARLC & NRL would need to directly fund juniors rather than clubs introducing it.

But the excitement around it would be great, plus Imagine a struggling team picking up a Suali or Sam Walker rather than the Roosters
Ideally yeah, but the RLPA won't agree to it.

So Rothfield has written an opinionated story based on his opinion on who’s the Top 50 in the game.Someone else could do their top 50 and have a more even spread of talent across the teams.And for arguments sake,Munster maybe in the 50 now but may have a shocker this year and won’t make Rothfields 50 next year but that doesn’t make a difference to the cap situation because he’s still got the same contract

I don’t have the exact formula but I still believe the way to fix things is , no monetary cap, pay them whatever you like but a points cap with the elite players worth the most points and the rookies the least.

The NRL “ grant” remains the same though.

Oh sure there’s some difficulties with it but at least sides like the Roosters won’t be able to stack their side with million dollars players.

But of course with the power firmly resting with Politis and his mate VLandy’s none of that will change anytime soon.

It would be great if the NRL published a list of every NRL player & their market & contract values.

It would be easy to then total up each club's players' market & contract values, thereby identifying which clubs have exceeded the cap in market value & also highlighting the large variance between market & contract values.

The latter would then be prime audit targets surely?

This is why we need a wealthier benefactor. You need coin to work around the cap, and the NRL
Even before the penns its clear manly fans would love manly to death.
Big money , somewhere else than brookvale to be a powerhouse

The club needs to rid itself of the hate, invest in new fans and income streams and get professional off field.

While i love brookie and understand the fascination i never see us being a superpower based there. At some point new teams with more money, clout and potential fans will come knocking and we are on the bottom rung

Change is hard to accept, extinction harder

This is why we need a wealthier benefactor. You need coin to work around the cap, and the NRL
Even before the penns its clear manly fans would love manly to death.
Big money , somewhere else than brookvale to be a powerhouse

The club needs to rid itself of the hate, invest in new fans and income streams and get professional off field.

While i love brookie and understand the fascination i never see us being a superpower based there. At some point new teams with more money, clout and potential fans will come knocking and we are on the bottom rung

Change is hard to accept, extinction harder

Until all this happens I firmly believe we’ll just remain as cannon fodder.

I see no way clear for any of the sides that are say 6-16 on the ladder to become powerhouses like the top 4 or 5.

The main anomaly are the Bronco’s but I feel this has been more about bad choices made by them in regards to coaching and rosters.

They’ll be back , and soon.

Storm
Bunnies
Roosters
Bronco’s
Panthers

That’s where your winners will come from for a long time.

Raiders just below them purely based on their current roster.

The rest , no chance !!

TPA's are obviously an issue but the whole Inglis/Burgess/Cronk scenario of sign an old player on big $$$ then either get him medically retired or give him a job as club ambassador or quasi assistant coach post footy is another good one.

People with money will always find loopholes - we don't have it anymore so we're always going to cop it. Nothing we can do about it why worry about it. Nothing will ever change.

Imagine a team struggling to find a hooker had a choice of Smith or Harry from Melb to play for us while Fainu is in jail.

That would be fair - they both play first grade in the position they like.

Imagine a team struggling to find a hooker had a choice of Smith or Harry from Melb to play for us while Fainu is in jail.

That would be fair - they both play first grade in the position they like.
How about having a pool of players we'll call 'The Consultants'. They are players unsigned because they can't agree on a contract with a club, or simply prefer to play as 'guns for hire'. Adam Reynolds could be one next season, for instance, if he wants to keep playing for as long as his body holds out but Souffs are only prepared to offer him a one-year term.
Reynolds lists his price at, say, $50,000 per match. Any club can then hire him on a per match basis (provided that it doesn't put them over the cap).
I can't see why players can't become 'consultants' offering their services to any club willing to pay their price, especially when coaching staff can? I give you Cooper Cronk as an example.
Thoughts?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10