Buying 'stars"

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Apart from Lowe when has the club ever splashed on a coach from outside the ranks?

Sharp maybe???

mickqld said:
The reason we have such talented youngsters and established home grown stars is because of the recruiting/coaching team we had. This is my biggest worry now we have lost that very successful team.
Dont worry Mick blind freddy could spot an up and coming talented youngster, and which up and coming talended footballer would not want to play with Super Stars like DCE, Foran, Snake , T-Rex, Lyon , etc and coached by the toughest and most inspirational Player like 2V . Des was good 2v will be better !!!

BOZO said:
Dont worry Mick blind freddy could spot an up and coming talented youngster, and which up and coming talended footballer would not want to play with Super Stars like DCE, Foran, Snake , T-Rex, Lyon , etc and coached by the toughest and most inspirational Player like 2V . Des was good 2v will be better !!!

I admire your optimism BOZO but I can't say I agree with the first part of your post above.

Watching the GF the other day reminded me just how important Des and Crusher were to our success. In terms of recruitment, we became accustomed to future superstars coming through our ranks every year, but this didn't just happen. It took a lot of hard work from a lot of people, and Des and Crusher were obviously two of the key ingredients to that success. Having lost Crusher, I expect we will see a decrease in the number of talented youngsters coming through the ranks. The key will be to minimise that decrease and hopefully we will be able to do that by retaining Dave Warwick.

In terms of coaching, I have high hopes for Tooves as well. He may very well turn out to be better than Des in the long term, but I suspect it will take him some time to settle in to being a first grade coach.

It took Des a while. For example, I remember when Des first started he went off about the refs about every second game. This had the effect of getting us offside with the refs (even more than usual) and it gave the players an excuse for their own poor performances. In more recent years he had learnt to use his blasts more sparingly and directed his frustrations more at the players, whose poor performances had also contributed to a loss. I think this was far more effective as it motivated the players to perform better next week. This is an obvious example of how Des matured as a coach over the years (I'm sure there are many more).

Tooves now needs to go through the same process. I expect to see some teething problems, expecially early on in the year. I would rather have Tooves as our coach than anyone else and I think in the long term it will prove to be a good decision. I just hope people give him time to get used to his new role.

I reckon i could coach the Qld Origin side to victory. The quality of cattle almost runs the station.

MadMarcus said:
BOZO said:

I admire your optimism BOZO but I can't say I agree with the first part of your post above.

Watching the GF the other day reminded me just how important Des and Crusher were to our success. In terms of recruitment, we became accustomed to future superstars coming through our ranks every year, but this didn't just happen. It took a lot of hard work from a lot of people, and Des and Crusher were obviously two of the key ingredients to that success. Having lost Crusher, I expect we will see a decrease in the number of talented youngsters coming through the ranks. The key will be to minimise that decrease and hopefully we will be able to do that by retaining Dave Warwick.

In terms of coaching, I have high hopes for Tooves as well. He may very well turn out to be better than Des in the long term, but I suspect it will take him some time to settle in to being a first grade coach.

It took Des a while. For example, I remember when Des first started he went off about the refs about every second game. This had the effect of getting us offside with the refs (even more than usual) and it gave the players an excuse for their own poor performances. In more recent years he had learnt to use his blasts more sparingly and directed his frustrations more at the players, whose poor performances had also contributed to a loss. I think this was far more effective as it motivated the players to perform better next week. This is an obvious example of how Des matured as a coach over the years (I'm sure there are many more).

Tooves now needs to go through the same process. I expect to see some teething problems, expecially early on in the year. I would rather have Tooves as our coach than anyone else and I think in the long term it will prove to be a good decision. I just hope people give him time to get used to his new role.
Feathered friend 2V has been with Des long enough to learn from his mistakes and also learn from his success. Ricky Stuart won a premiership in his first year and the great 2V is more than capable of doing the same . Also part of Haslers hard working team last year was none other then 2V who worked just as hard if not harder then all of them . Have feathers will fly , Des and Crusher have swapped their wings for a dogs tail . Try flying with a dogs tail :D

Fair difference between QLD and finding players on potential etc

lsz said:
Apart from Lowe when has the club ever splashed on a coach from outside the ranks?

Sharp maybe???

Manly didn't go out and buy Sharp to make him head coach. Pretty sure Sharp was Bozo's assistant and just stepped up when Bozo quit.

That's right - it not something the club has ever done regardless of financial status of club

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6