Buying 'stars"

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
When you look through our top team you'll only see one player we bought as an established star - Jamie Lyon. Joe G was established but regarded by other clubs as over-the-hill. The rest of the team are either Manly juniors or have been nurtured from youngsters into the stars they are - stars that other clubs want to buy for their 'instant gratification'.
It is a credit to the Manly system that we can continue to develop nascent talent into top players, and is a major reason for our continued success.

But other clubs, such as Easts, Parra, Souths and Canterbury are always seeking to buy a premiership, splashing out big money on stars, most of who fail to live up to their reputation.

When fans/bookies/commentators try to predict the success of a club pre-season they invariably look at the 'stars' they have gained or lost. Little wonder most commentators write Manly off because we so rarely buy any player they know about. Yet they invariably wrongly inflate the chances of teams that have bought players who have had success at other clubs.

I'm sure we have another crop of talented unknown youngsters now being shown the Manly way who will develop into stars and be the envy of the big-spending poachers. And isn't it a much better way!

Craigm said:
Brent Kite
Tony Williams
Ben Kennedy

arty said:
Craigm said:
Brent Kite
Tony Williams
Ben Kennedy

Lyon has been our most important current signing,,,inspirational team player with outstandingly balanced offensive and defensive skills and representative and international experience. A CV cannot get any better than this in Rugby League...

I think The Who made some excellent points.

I wouldn't regard Tony Williams as a star when we signed him. Although he had some impressive performances and was generating a bit of hype he was only just becoming a regular first grader.

Other than Lyon you have to go back to Kite and Kennedy in 2005 for our last star signings.

Clubs like Souths and the Bulldogs sign stars every year and that is in my view one of the reasons that those clubs struggle to succeed.

The Who said:
When you look through our top team you'll only see one player we bought as an established star - Jamie Lyon. Joe G was established but regarded by other clubs as over-the-hill. The rest of the team are either Manly juniors or have been nurtured from youngsters into the stars they are - stars that other clubs want to buy for their 'instant gratification'.
It is a credit to the Manly system that we can continue to develop nascent talent into top players, and is a major reason for our continued success.

But other clubs, such as Easts, Parra, Souths and Canterbury are always seeking to buy a premiership, splashing out big money on stars, most of who fail to live up to their reputation.

When fans/bookies/commentators try to predict the success of a club pre-season they invariably look at the 'stars' they have gained or lost. Little wonder most commentators write Manly off because we so rarely buy any player they know about. Yet they invariably wrongly inflate the chances of teams that have bought players who have had success at other clubs.

I'm sure we have another crop of talented unknown youngsters now being shown the Manly way who will develop into stars and be the envy of the big-spending poachers. And isn't it a much better way!

Great Post!!!

Josh Perry-career was on the slide
Kite-was handy-very promising
Kennedy was at the back end deal wise
Tony Wiiliams was a big log with promise

The Who is dead right-Manly have had a completely different mindset to signing players. We generally sign up and coming talent and incentive deals to player's who are on the downgrade. Great work buy our front office.IMO :)

quinny said:
The Who said:

Great Post!!!

Josh Perry-career was on the slide
Kite-was handy-very promising
Kennedy was at the back end deal wise
Tony Wiiliams was a big log with promise

The Who is dead right-Manly have had a completely different mindset to signing players. We generally sign up and coming talent and incentive deals to player's who are on the downgrade. Great work buy our front office.IMO :)

Moneyball preceding "Moneyball"..?

Craigm said:
Brent Kite
Tony Williams

I admit I forgot Brent Kite in my original post. He was an established player with Illawarra. My oversight.
But T-Rex was not a 'star' and it even took our methods two years to unlock the secrets to making him one.
In the past we've bought BK, Perry and Orford, but our recruitment in recent seasons has concentrated on potential, and I think this is a good policy.

Teams who produce their own, and nurture their juniors:-

1. Tend to stay under the cap much easier;
2. Tend to have better chemistry;
3. Win competitions.

I'll take our system over acquiring stars any day of the week. I'd only make a splash in the open market if we have a glaring hole in a certain position.

agree completely with Ryan.
although loyalty has gone out the window in this day and age, i still think a junior who's done the hard yards to work through the ranks of a club and make it to the top forming great mateships along the way is the best way to get that winning chemistry rather than trying to fill a team with big names who may not gel until it's too late. It's being proven right now at the club, and let's hope it stays that way, and this IC starts looking at ways to allow loyalty to work it's way back into the game so we see many more one club players.

Agree with thread, but geez we gave the old "buy the stars" a fair old nudge over the years.

Have obviously gone away from that in the last decade or so, and have enjoyed the same success if not more. Definately on the right track now and are the envy of most teams in NRL.

We'll be right for the next few seasons. When some of the current crop a) move on or b) retire that's when it's time for concern.

Would love to see something like some of the English clubs have set up a fan sponsorship ie Hull KR fans recently sponsored Mickey Paea and will be sending there academy squad to Australia, the Rhinos got a guy and have had since the academy and will be playing SL this year.

It's got me wondering if we could get some money together for say Dylan Kelly or one of the kiwi guys it makes it hard for them to go to another team when supporters hard earned helped them through the grades

The reason we have such talented youngsters and established home grown stars is because of the recruiting/coaching team we had. This is my biggest worry now we have lost that very successful team.

We've lost part of it. It may be that Des & Crusher were not yet past their use-by dates at Manly, but one day they would have been.

Generational change is crucial in revitalising every organisation, and I am pleased with the new people we have put in the key coaching & recruitment roles.

The joint now has the distinct feel of freshness, with talented and ambitious newcomers determined to seize their golden opportunity. I see no reason our development policy will change or be any less successful.

Matt Orford and Steve Bell were major signings of established stars that helped build the 2007 & 08 Manly success.

Our model of recruitment from 2004 was born out of necessity-we didn't have the money to splash like other clubs. We had to be very frugal and calculating....enter Des (and others in the front office)
We have done remarkably well, and shown the way to other more affluent establishments. There was a lot more business acumen applied to our strategies for recruitment and retention...BASED on $$$
We are in good shape-I hope we stay that way. A crack can turn into an abyss very very quickly in pro sport.

quinny said:
Our model of recruitment from 2004 was born out of necessity-we didn't have the money to splash like other clubs. We had to be very frugal and calculating....enter Des (and others in the front office)
Exactly right, it wasn't a choice it was a necessity.

quinny said:
A crack can turn into an abyss very very quickly in pro sport.
...just ask Nathan Hindmarsh!:D

Agree Quinny. People i talk with are very quick to brush the fact we were doing it very hard not so long ago. It was a hard time financially, but as with most things, it steeled us and created the entity we are today. I wonder if we would have signed Des in the first place if we were rolling in cash back then?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4