buck-stopping, finger-pointing, and helms

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
We know exactly where the buck stops when it comes to on-field performance. When teams leak 50 points the finger is pointed squarely at the coach.

Well I'd like to take this opportunity to point my finger at Geoff Toovey. He deserves a huge amount of credit for the outstanding defensive displays our team has been producing.

I was hopeful rather than confident when he first took over the job in difficult circumstances 18 months ago. Now there is no-one I would rather have at the helm, and I hope he plans to stick around for a while.

Great post SER8. Tooves has done an amazing job. Would love nothing better for him to stick around and guide us to more premierships

Absolutely. He is shaping up to be just as good as Hasler was.

While on this coach subject, who do you think might be the next coach (like 4, 5, 6 years away) groomed to take over from Tooves, just as he was groomed to take over from Hasler?

Too early to say? Its got to be someone highly determined and dedicated, like Toovs and Hasler are.

The defence is truly amazing; tooves has certainly instilled his tenacious D attitude into the side.

Hoping they stop the sequences of errors/penalties that are putting them in these situations where they have to do all this draining work though.... we need to be turning this defensive platform into some comfortable wins.

Lord Eagleton said:
Absolutely. He is shaping up to be just as good as Hasler was.

While on this coach subject, who do you think might be the next coach (like 4, 5, 6 years away) groomed to take over from Tooves, just as he was groomed to take over from Hasler?

Too early to say? Its got to be someone highly determined and dedicated, like Toovs and Hasler are.

Maybe by then Jamie Lyon will be assisting Toovs and looking for a future career as a coach? He definently ticks the boxes with footballing brain, guts and determination to win. His ability to lift our team when he is around is 2nd to none.

The truth is, it is already a multi coach club:
Brad Arthur, Geoff Toovey, Andrew Johns . . there may be others.

So we need to consider a whole coaching team approach.

Lyon, Menzies, B Stewart, A Whatmough. Choc could get anyone fit i reckon, including me.

True, Arthur seems to have brought something useful. All clubs having 'coaching staff' nowadays, not just one coach.

However the fact remains, when the Eels were being flogged people were laughing at Stuart, not at Matt Parrish. It is Elliott and Potter that currently are under fire, people aren't just saying those clubs need to get better defence coaches.

It's obvious to me that Toovey has set an incredibly strong foundation, and all the players are 'buying in' 100%. He deserves enormous credit for this. In addition, he sounds more and more impressive each time he is interviewed.

Note: "buying in" = current trendy coaching jargon

During the week that the media stuck the boot into Toovey saying he has taken over from des as a serial whinger. Funny how since des left Manly he is no longer a whinger he just has valid views to share. Another case of the media's hate for Manly

Staff online

• Dan
    Kim Jong Dan
  • Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8