Brookvale Oval Upgrade - Finally?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
So why no "new" stadium at Brookvale?

NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro has revealed the NRL's bold push for as many as four or five new 20,000-seat stadiums in Sydney has the backing of the state government, saying: "We're going back to basics".

Why do the new stand if the govt are going to fund a mini Bankwest rebuild at brookie?

By Chris Barrett
August 11, 2020 — 12.01am

NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro has revealed the NRL's bold push for as many as four or five new 20,000-seat stadiums in Sydney has the backing of the state government, saying: "We're going back to basics".
In a development that all but guarantees this year's grand final will remain at ANZ Stadium, Barilaro on Monday said the Berejiklian government was "absolutely" supportive of the NRL's boutique stadia strategy, which proposes multiple "mini Bankwest stadiums" be delivered around the city over the next 10 years including a new venue at Liverpool.

JT roasts the bubble breachers
Wrestling legend Kamala dies

Johnathan Thurston takes aim at the coach and players placed on a two-week COVID hold.
"The government has an appetite for the ground renewal program that the NRL has put forward," he told The Sydney Morning Herald.
"I think we're going back to basics, back to the past where that tribalism is actually what the competition needs in a way. We're seeing upgrades at Brookvale, you've got [the new] Parramatta stadium. If we've got an opportunity to do three or four or five more Bankwests, well that's got to be great for the game long term, great for the community and great for that competition."

The NRL had previously targeted as many as four new stadiums, with seating capacity of up to 20,000 and a cost of between $150 million and $200m each, following the government's abandoning of the $800m redevelopment of ANZ Stadium as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.
Brookvale Oval, Penrith and Kogarah are locations being discussed for rebuilds while a new venue at Liverpool that could play host to Canterbury, Wests Tigers and possibly South Sydney is also among the options.
John Barilaro at League Central on Monday.

John Barilaro at League Central on Monday.CREDIT:NICK MOIR.
The NRL had sought a commitment from government to its vision of restoring tribalism via suburban venues in return for keeping the grand final in Sydney.
The code has a deal with the state government to play the decider in the city until 2042 but that was signed on the basis of ANZ Stadium being transformed into a rectangular ground along with the construction of a new stadiums at Parramatta and Moore Park.
Advertisement

The scrapping of the ANZ redevelopment means that deal is technically off the table but Barilaro was optimistic about a new memorandum of understanding being struck.
"I'm confident the grand final will be played at ANZ Stadium," he said as the NSW government and the NRL announced a game between New Zealand Warriors and Newcastle in Tamworth on August 29.
Manly's home ground is in line for a rebuild.

Manly's home ground is in line for a rebuild.CREDIT:NRL PHOTOS
"We've had a long-term agreement with the NRL and we'll work through those details. But I'm very confident."
ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys said on Monday he could not comment on talks with government because they were commercial in confidence.

But he has previously made clear his desire to take the game back to the suburbs and his view that a range of new venues would be community assets, not simply football grounds.
Barilaro said the details of the government's backing were still being thrashed out.
"[The NRL] will be seeking some level of contribution from the state government. We'll also be hitting up the feds I suppose along the journey," Barilaro said.

Why do the new stand if the govt are going to fund a mini Bankwest rebuild at brookie?
Because anything the Deputy Premier and Minister for Rugba League says should be taken with a grain of salt. Same with the unofficial Premier of NSW, Peter V’landys.

Plus - why would you stop a significant upgrade in its tracks, based on an unsubstantiated ‘promise’? Any future upgrade will take years to wend it’s way through the approval process. That should be obvious to all by now.

I prefer an ‘organically’ upgraded ground (a new stand here, new lights there, a new scoreboard over there) at Brookvale to the knockdown rebuild at Parramatta. Sure it might be a great facility, but it could be anywhere, with no sense of place once you’re on the inside.

Last edited:
Hopefully smoke and mirrors by the club, seems foolish to spend $30m on one Grandstand when the other 2 will need work in the future.
Plus I'm assuming one on the hill in the future also, just tear the fcker down and build a new 20k stadium.

Hopefully smoke and mirrors by the club, seems foolish to spend $30m on one Grandstand when the other 2 will need work in the future.
Plus I'm assuming one on the hill in the future also, just tear the fcker down and build a new 20k stadium.

New grandstand's main purpose if for the club to move its headquarters to Brookie permanently instead of operating out of Narrabeen. It's more of an upscale office building with some seats on the ground side.

I don't expect much from government but as long as I get to see the annual diorama on what a "new" Brookie will look like I'm happy.

New grandstand's main purpose if for the club to move its headquarters to Brookie permanently instead of operating out of Narrabeen. It's more of an upscale office building with some seats on the ground side.
What is the wisdom behind splitting headquarters (for admin) and the training facilities (for players, coaches and football staff)? Doesn't it make more sense to keep both together? It wouldn't take much money to upgrade the offices at Narrabeen if the officials feel they need more salubrious surroundings.

What is the wisdom behind splitting headquarters (for admin) and the training facilities (for players, coaches and football staff)? Doesn't it make more sense to keep both together? It wouldn't take much money to upgrade the offices at Narrabeen if the officials feel they need more salubrious surroundings.

Training will also be based out of Brookie too, not just the admin side.

Also, note that a lot of the funding was granted for specifically a "Center of Excellence" . It was part of the money divided up between manly, Tigers etc. So manly have been very smart here, used the money that had to be Spend on a COE and just attached a stand to the side of it with the other 10M they already had allocated. And the fact it has been designed as stage one of 4 is smart. They can say to Govt , "we are ready to go and 1 quarter is already done". Was the only option really and i recon a smart move.

I prefer an ‘organically’ upgraded ground (a new stand here, new lights there, a new scoreboard over there) Brookvale to the knockdown rebuild at Parramatta. Sure it might be a great facility, but it could be anywhere, with no sense of place once you’re on the inside.

Agree 100% ... may not end up as flash .... but would maintain some personality .... must keep a bit of intrinsic Brookie about the place ...

Training will also be based out of Brookie too, not just the admin side.
Surely not.
A Narrabeen we have three football ovals plus full gymnasium, athletics track, gymnasium, swimming pool. In other words, some of the best facilities in Sydney.
I can't imagine a full squad of 36 players training at Brookie. Not only is one field insufficient but the grass will get cut up and be criticised for not being up to NRL standard.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7