Brookvale Oval - Telegraph front page

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Concrete cancer is BS, surely. If that is the case where is the inquiry into who built it, and into who approved them building it.

If concrete cancer cannot be predicted then is our 2 billion going to be demolished all over again in just a few short years?

2 billion replacing existing stadia, yet I cannot drive home to the Coast from Sydney without multiple phone reception blackspots.
#priorities

Not sure what they are going to do to the Olympic Stadium, isn't it only 18 years old? Money that would be better spent on education and hospitals. #knuckleheads
The Government could spend $100 trillion on education and hospitals and it still wouldn't be anywhere near enough.

We need to spend sensibly on Stadiums and this proposal is anything but sensible.

There are a few reports about concrete cancer, which if true then makes some sense, however given SCG Trust past wouldn't be beyond them to make it up just to get that upgrade action from someone else's purse. Again though, could be done in sections over time like the MCG was rather than one big expensive go.

If the SFS really did have concrete cancer.....wouldn't OHS&W dictate that they stop all events at the stadium until it was fixed/demolished/rebuilt?

If its not safe like they claim why would they be allowed to still host events there that could potentially see over 45,000 lives at risk?

They did it right with the MCG. At no stage did they let capacity drop below about 77,000 when they were building the new stand. They had already made that mistake when building the Great Southern Stand in the early 90s and the capacity dropped to 50,000 forcing them to play the 1991 AFL Grand Final at the 72,000 capacity Waverley Park. It was a mistake they planned not to repeat and they did it right.

Last edited:
If the SFS really did have concrete cancer.....wouldn't OHS&W dictate that they stop all events at the stadium until it was fixed/demolished/rebuilt?

If its not safe like they claim why would they be allowed to still host events there that could potentially see over 45,000 lives at risk?

They did it right with the MCG. At no stage did they let capacity drop below about 77,000 when they were building the new stand. They had already made that mistake when building the Great Southern Stand in the early 90s and the capacity dropped to 50,000 forcing them to play the 1991 AFL Grand Final at the 72,000 capacity Waverley Park. It was a mistake they planned not to repeat and they did it right.

I think a footy ground is different to a footy ground.

Esp Anz. But both. The design needs to change. How could you knock down one side and keep it open.

I'm so sick on reading this bull*hit excuse for rebuilding the SFS is because it is "unsafe". Surprising, isn't it, that the Government doesn't seem at all concerned about the safety of much older football grounds such as Brookie, Leichhardt, WIN, Kogarah etc

If the SFS is supposed to be that unsafe, why are they still holding events there that could potentially endanger the lives of thousands of people?

Because by 2019 it will no longer meet compliance requirements. It’s not actually dangerous to enter and use, it will simply reach a ‘time’s up’ moment on the OH&S front within 18 months.

How do you know it is in better nick if you have not seen it in 50 years?

Ken Arthurson stand has some decent facilities for example.

No need to go passive/aggressive old son. I’m just stating the facts, based on government advice.

It would be tied in with the number of ingress/exit points from the stands, versus seating capacity etc. I believe they addressed a number (perhaps not all) of those issues during the upgrades undertaken, circa 2009-12.

can't access ... how about a cut and paste

THE $10 million the Sea Eagles believed they were promised by former premier Mike Baird to help redevelop Lottoland was on Wednesday ruled out by Sports Minister Stuart Ayres.

The club had been banking on the money along with $12 million from the Federal Government to upgrade Lottoland. It had also applied to upgrade the Narrabeen training facility at Sydney Academy of Sport as part of a centre of excellence fund.

But on Wednesday, Mr Ayres said: “Brookvale is owned by the local council. As far as the stadium is concerned local grounds need to be supported by local councils.”

The Manly Daily reported last year that Mr Baird broke the news to the Sea Eagles in a late-night call to former boss Joe Kelly that they could apply for a $10 million grant to upgrade the oval.

But today Mr Ayres said: “That $10 million was part of our centre of excellence fund.”

Sea Eagles CEO Lyall Gorman hit back, saying: “The club is strongly of the view that the original $10 million commitment by the premier at the time was dedicated to improvements and facilities at Lottoland. It will continue to vigorously prosecute that position.”

Wakehurst state MP Brad Hazzard also said he believed funds had been promised.

“My understanding is that there was $10 million offered to the Sea Eagles along with another $12 million from the Federal Government,” he said. “I will be making inquiries with the Sports Minister to determine what the full undertaking is.”

Mr Ayres, who has committed $2.1 billion to rebuild ANZ and Allianz stadiums, said the club could get support by building a centre of excellence at Lottoland.

Announcing a $1.2 million upgrade of the Sydney Academy of Sport running track and facilities, he said: “Our focus is on making sure that those investments go towards the centre of excellence so if they can come up with a viable proposal ... at Brookvale we will definitely be looking to support that.”

Northern Beaches Mayor Michael Regan said it was “disappointing” the State Government had not kept what he understood to be two commitments.

Cr Regan said the council would still push forward with upgrades.

“I have been working on the presumption there will be no handouts from anybody and the council will work for a positive solution going forward,” he said.

Ayres is a flog. And it exposes Noseajiklian as the fake supporter she is.

Meanwhile Lyall Gorman needs to convince Penn that the immediate future lies in working with Council to spend the federal money promptly and effectively.

I somehow think if we had an empowered FC and LC, any upgrade would be much more advanced. Penn is hanging out for a new stand to improve his bottom line. We just want a ground we can still be proud of.

Last edited:
Ayres is a flog. And it exposes Noseajiklian as the fake supporter she is.

Meanwhile Lyall Gorman needs to convince Penn that the immediate future lies in working with Council to spend the federal money promptly and effectively.

I somehow think if we had an empowered FC and LC, any upgrade would be much more advanced. Penn is hanging out for a new stand to improve his bottom line. We just want a ground we can still be proud of.

This all makes perfect sense now, it’s a coordinated attack to rid us from the Sydney market!

Perth anyone??

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8