Brookvale Oval - Telegraph front page

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

kimox

Hi all, don't post here often but thought I'd direct you to the article on the Tele front page.
I'd encourage you all to go to the DT website and post a comment below the article in support of getting something done the get Brookie up to the standard we need and desire. As Lyall Gorman has said, the more voices in support the better. Manly fans need to be heard, not just in forums like this but in public where government and others can see.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/5db49b02cb64975da8aa701d20932d03

THIS is the famous suburban ground that time forgot. A once grand old lady now the ugly spinster.

These sad images clearly illustrate Brookvale Oval is on life support. More than two decades of neglect has left it decaying.

Eight premiership teams, featuring legends like Bob Fulton, Graham Eadie, Ken Irvine, Terry Randall, Max Krilich, Steve Menzies, Brett Stewart, Geoff Toovey, Wally O’Connell, Des Hasler and Cliff Lyons, have played out of the iconic venue.

The NSW Government last week announced a $2.3 billion grant to revamp and rebuild three premium stadiums — Allianz, ANZ and Parramatta — but nothing for grounds like Brookvale.

7b7d5e8cf689889e5254e285f6dbfe0e

media_cameraThe dilapidated state of Brookvale Oval which threatens the long-term future of the Manly Sea Eagles at the venue.
f0bb45a2cd38dd05072514a90daa79e8

media_cameraBrookvale Oval received no funding under the state’s new stadium plan. Source: Supplied
It seems Brookie has been left to die. Brookie has a grand history but dubious future.

The Daily Telegraph visited Brookvale yesterday and was shocked at its appalling conditions. It was a demoralising sight after years of abandonment by Governments.

Paint tins and food trays scattered around, concrete cancer, rust, electrical wires sticking out, cobwebs, chords flung over beams, rotten seats, holes in walls, broken taps, holes in the grassy hill, weeds, bricks missing from the Jane Try Stand and smashed seating signs.

The electric scoreboard hasn’t worked for the past year.

It should never have come to this. Yet fans continue to be charged big bucks to sit in a facility not fit for park football.

3071b8b52d5acbe3df4368ba50a45ce6

media_cameraBrookvale Oval has been left in a sad state. Source: Supplied
3220c1554178973002768904e89b7daf

media_cameraMany parts of the venue are just an eyesore. Source: Supplied
Somehow it costs Northern Beaches Council $1m a year to maintain Brookvale.

Brookvale is in danger of joining Lidcombe Oval, Henson Park, Redfern Oval Belmore Sports Ground as a rugby league graveyard.

Forcing Manly away from Brookvale to Allianz Stadium full-time could just about kill off this wonderful rugby league club.

Yet Manly hierarchy continue to fight. They need between $50 and $80m. The Federal Government has pledged $12.5m with the State Government previously offering $10m.

Sea Eagles chairman Scott Penn and new chief executive Lyall Gorman refuse to give up.

The club has too many fans and too much history to let Brookvale sink and Manly know the State Government is their only hope.

bf0ccaada89b6b2f72aea6dfbcad9069

media_cameraThe hill is in major need of work.
2aede55b536f115906ed134c2b8896b0

media_cameraOld work supplies litter the venue.
The Daily Telegraph revealed this week Manly had engaged stadia advisory firm Waypoint to help secure funding.

Penn told The Daily Telegraph last night: “It’s not up to NRL standard now. That’s the reality of it. With three stadiums being built, it (Brookvale) won’t be competing in anyway. But we are committed to it. It is the State Government we have to work with to find an outcome.

“We aren’t going to go away. We have to find a solution together. We are not moving — we are staying in our heartland.”

Northern Beaches Council is working with Manly to find a solution.

“We want to get on with a future-proof stadium at Brookvale Oval,” said Mayor, Michael Regan. “Used by not just the Sea Eagles but anyone in the community.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/5db49b02cb64975da8aa701d20932d03

Very sad news but also optimistic .
Whilst there is faith there is always hope feathered friends

One thing that can never be disputed: Brookie is the best oval from which to watch rugby league. You gain the most intimate view, are closest to the action and feel the energy/nerves/anger of the crowd. Leichhardt Oval is next best, and then Shark Park.
The thing that non Manly/Balmain/Cronulla commentators fail to realise is that these ovals are special and part of our DNA. I don't care if Brookie is not shiny and new like the amorphous Homebush Stadium. As long as it's safe it will do me just fine.
What irks me is that this government, with the support of the dumb-as-dogshyt NRL, plans to waste $2-Billion of taxpayer money on our two most modern stadia. It's not like NSW will be getting two more stadia; this is just putting lipstick on supermodels.
The TV networks should by now realise that matches played at small, packed suburban grounds create a much greater spectacle than non-atmospheric stadia.
The NRL must know that crowds will fall if suburban grounds close. Who wants to pay to attend a stadium where three-quarters of the 'viewers' are empty - but oh so shiny - seats?
Let's just upgrade Brookie a little at a time in each off-season. We should start with getting the scoreboard working.

What irks me is that this government, with the support of the dumb-as-dogshyt NRL, plans to waste $2-Billion of taxpayer money on our two most modern stadia. It's not like NSW will be getting two more stadia; this is just putting lipstick on supermodels.

Putting lipstick on a pig springs more to mind.

This is action by Gorman. The best action Gorman can achieve right now. It's on the front page of the Daily Telly.

Brookie hasn't suddenly changed. But already Gorman is planting seeds and making Brookie's I'll health a political issue and in the public domain, better then anyone before him.

Now it's all about your action. If no one is yelling and screaming about Brookie.

Then as Toov's often said. It's just fish and chip paper.

Like most of you on here, I am over the talk fest that we have endured for over 20 years about Brooky.

The Football club AGM last night does give me hope in that the council are finally totally behind getting the ground up to scratch. This has to happen ASAP because Greenturd and the government have spelt out their agenda and it does not include grounds like Brooky.

We must resist this attitude as much as we can and that means filling up the joint for home games.

In the 70s we had just about the best suburban ground in Sydney and now it is a shell.

Before the meeting started last night, I looked out from the balcony of the Arko stand and panned around the ground and the memories I have as a spectator here still reminds me of how special this place is.

I have faith that Mr Gorman will do his bit, and it is now up to the fans to do their bit and fill the place for each home game.

I fear that our time is limited with the relentless NRL pushing another agenda and I dread that we will be forced out of Brooky at some stage. That would truly break my heart!

Can't put this on this on the club my feathered friends.

1) The NRL would like us to loose our ground, they see the future in 3 Sydney grounds (after development) not suburban grounds. And Greenturd would make sure we were last if they every did.
2) Warringah Council are pricing themselves out of the NRL - they charge the most than ANY other NRL team home ground and substantially - but they won't spend a cent on upgrades - tragic
3) Warringah is a Liberal Seat but despite being in power cannot get cross bench approval to allocate funds other than to Labor held seats.

We will never get an upgrade of worth, and very happy to be wrong but I wont be holding my breath

and ! this is only an opinion based on knowledge other than fact expressed in the public domain previously

Peter FitzSimons has started a petition for anyone interested in signing ( I have),:

We, the undersigned, respectfully call on the Premier of NSW, Gladys Berejiklian, and the NSW Cabinet, to reconsider their decision to knock down two perfectly fine sports stadiums - the Olympic Stadium and Sydney Football Stadium - at a staggering cost of $2Billion, to replace them with new ones, at a time when there is ZERO public demand to replace either.

www.change.org/p/premier-berejiklian-stop-nsw-government-wasting-2b-rebuilding-sfs-olympic-stadiums/d?source_location=combo_psf

Last edited:
Not sure what they are going to do to the Olympic Stadium, isn't it only 18 years old? Money that would be better spent on education and hospitals. #knuckleheads

I think its a dumb move, but If they want something more modern, i can't see why they don't just knock down the barely used stadium next door to it, bring any events planned there into ANZ while it can still be used oval or rectangle, build this thing they're planning on that land, then there's no multiple years of disruption to major events. Once new one is built, then do whatever with ANZ (if the rest of olympic park currently is anything to go by.. bulldoze it for 10 new apartment towers).

The biggest mistake they ever made was letting the AFL convince them that ANZ should be able to convert into an oval venue (they also used the argument that cricket could be played there - yeah, that worked didn't it o_O). It meant that the ends of the ground were curved and that compromised spectator viewing for the rectangle pitch sports that make up 98% of the sports played there.

The sad part is that the AFL only used the ground what, 3 or 4 times per year? And in the end they left the place largely because no one liked it. The players hated the place and especially hated the longer grass. Aussie rules has a lot of running and bouncing of the ball and for that they mostly play on low cut grass. The only thing that ANZ offered that was good for them was the larger spectator capacity.

The money they are now going to spend rebuilding it into a rectangle venue is what they should have spent in the years following the Olympics. This whole thing should have been done 15 years ago. And the worst part is that the amount of money they now need for the stadium(s) means that grounds like Brookvale are being left to rot.

An even bigger mistake is rebuilding parra stadium and ANZ stadium. They are so close to each other. They should just have done ANZ and razed parra stadium

And why do they need to knock down the SFS and rebuild it? Next year is the ground's 30th birthday.....does it really need replacing?

The fact that the SFS is getting that shows just how much political influence the SCG Trust members have in NSW.

And why do they need to knock down the SFS and rebuild it? Next year is the ground's 30th birthday.....does it really need replacing?

The fact that the SFS is getting that shows just how much political influence the SCG Trust members have in NSW.

There are a few reports about concrete cancer, which if true then makes some sense, however given SCG Trust past wouldn't be beyond them to make it up just to get that upgrade action from someone else's purse. Again though, could be done in sections over time like the MCG was rather than one big expensive go.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8