BROOKVALE OVAL GETS $40,000 LIFT +($4 MILLION FROM COUNCIL)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
The four major benefactors of the Manly Sea Eagles stood firmly behind the push to keep the famous club at Brookvale Oval into the future with a combined $40,000 kick start to a ground fund.

The joint owners,the Delmege and Penn families,the Manly Leagues Club and the Manly Warringah Rugby League football club all pledged $10,000 today in day one of a call to arms for supporters and sponsors.

The Sea Eagles will donate profits from next Monday night's Brookvale Oval clash against the New Zealand Warriors to the fund.

The first 2,000 adults who pre-purchase a ticket to the match via Ticketek will be given a free "I've helped save Brookvale Oval" t-shirt.

Manly CEO Grant Mayer said there was a real groundswell in the district to keep Manly at Brookvale Oval.

"All sections of the community have called us to let us know how important it is to the district to keep the tradition of Manly at Brookvale going.

"That response has led us to start this fund which can be used for any number of things in the new ground we hope to have.Curreently our wheel chair access is almost non estistent - we would like to do something in that area for a start," Mr Mayer said.

Club saviour and co owner Max Delmege said it was important for the community to get behind the push for an improved Brookvale Oval.

"We nearly lost our team - we don't want to lose our historical home ground but it needs help,"  Mr Delmege said.

Chairman Scott Penn said a new look Brookvale Oval would benefit all the sporting communities in the area.

"We just want to use the new look ground 12 times a year - that leaves a lot of dates free for a multitude of other spsorts and the northern beaches needs a sporting showcase.....not an eyesore we have at present," Mr Penn said.

Manly Leagues Club general manager Peter Spray said the licensed club would always support the Sea Eagles whenever possible.

"We have stood alongside them for decades and will continue to be a loyal support," he said.

The members of the football club had no hesitation in supporting the fund with chairman Bob Reilly urging the community to support by attending Monday's match or donating to the fund via the Sea Eagles offices.

brookie-forever-47-t.jpg

Re: BROOKVALE OVAL GETS $40,000 LIFT

It aint their oval Byso, they shouldnt have to put anything in at all.

It's interesting to compare the 19 million dollars Clover Moore's Sydney City Council is spending to develop a training ground for the Rabbits.  Manly Council? 

byso link said:
They can't be serious. 40k  pffftt
  After the millions they've already pumped into the club I would have to say it is exceedingly generous seeing as they know there is no return on it.

I would have thought you sydney die-hards would be breathing a bit easier to see such a solid initiative to promote staying at Brookie is on the radar. 

Keep biting the hand that feeds you Byso and you'd better get used to cramped Jetstar conditions if you want to see your team play.

anything is better than nothing.....

I'm assuming we have managed to get the permit from the government to fix up brookvale ourselves? Because it is goverment owned we wern' t even able to put our own money into it unless we got some permit to do so.

apparently there is a decision at the end of May from the state government

Maybe Sydney Water intends to pay for the renovations given the massive price increases they announced today?

I'm sure the club and owners have plenty to gain from an upgrade, thats why they're pushing so hard for it.

I guess it will buy some good publicity.....that's if the gov't gives a toss.

Maybe putting money where one's mouth is instead of cynical criticism is a good idea.

After all a journey of a thousand miles starts off with one step. You tend to get further with one step and then another than sitting on your bum complaining. Just a thought. (Now that there is no sudden last minute convert Johhnny to come in on his trusty steed and save the day!!)

Yep, considering they need 10 mil minimum. 40 k is a top start from the benefactors.

And when the fans throw gold coins in the buckets, we can wonder if this cash is seriously going to make a dent.

I hope it doesn't end up like the Delmege share buy back scheme.

Do you think the idea is that if the club has put some money up, then maybe the government can be pressured to cough up.

All I can say is that it is a start!!!

Byso pines for the days when Donald was on the wing, Huamono was our "star" forward and Mullane was our hot signing for the new year.

Will you be dropping a few k in the bucket Mata or will you get Penn to do it for you?

This is a publicity stunt, which hopefully gets the ALP to get off there ass and give the cash thats required. I'm sure any cash the punter tips into a bucket wont go towards a brick for this project.

It is obviously a publicity stunt, but it is a good one. Anything that keeps it in the press is a positive.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6