Brookvale Centre of excellence

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
One of the attributes of Brookie which makes it so special is The Hill. Why homogenise the ground to resemble almost all other stadiums? Surely there is sufficient people like me still prepared to frolic on grass rather than sit in seats, even if we end up with wet rumps.
There are sufficient stands with seating for those who desire a little more conformity. If you eliminate the Hill you will take away freedom of choice. I sound like an anti-vaxer which I'm not; but I think I could be an anti-seater!
Depends if you want the game to be in the 21st century or not. Major sport. Major team. No hill.

Finally it's good to see the playing surface get some love during this upgrade. 👍
From the Telegraph:

PERFECT PITCH FOR SEA EAGLES

The days of 4Pines Park, formerly known as Brookvale Oval, being a deathtrap are over. Manly chief executive Steve Humphreys has boldly declared the much-maligned ground will have the best surface in Sydney as it undergoes a multimillion-dollar facelift.

“I am told we will have the best surface in Sydney,” Humphreys said.

“We have completely excavated everything that was there. The drainage, the irrigation. It has all been carted away and we are building it from the base up again.

“It will be the best possible surface that money can buy.“

The grass itself will boast Santa Ana couch, the same grass used to line the fairways of the prestigious Royal Sydney golf course.

It will be meshed with a system of fibres that mimic the natural root structure, ensuring the surface is more stable and resilient.

Manly’s much-maligned home turf is undergoing a multimillion-dollar facelift.

The cost will be measured in millions when it is completed but it is money well spent given the reputation the ground has garnered over the years.

The shifting surface and sandy base were blamed for a litany of injuries, prompting the NRL at one point to investigate the surface.

Those days would now appear to be over. Crucially, the changes will mean Manly can train at the ground more regularly. The work has been done with the support of the NSW government and Northern Beaches Council.

“The grass itself is Santa Anna couch, which is premium turf,” Humphreys said.

“It is at the very top end. In addition to that we have got synthetic fibres that are in the sand base. They attach to the roots of the grass.

“That keeps it more firmly in place, so it makes it more durable, which is important for us because we be training at Brookvale as well as playing.

“It is cutting edge. It is best-in-class technology. It will now be the place where everyone wants to play.”

A family member of mine was heavily involved with the re-surfacing of the SCG and Randwick racecourse.
(I worked at Randwick)
They installed so much drainage and layer upon layer of different material right upto the topsoil. The amount of water it could drain was phenomenal to watch

Depends if you want the game to be in the 21st century or not. Major sport. Major team. No hill.
Yeah exactly , whilst I agree the “ hill” is iconic it’s also 1970’s and this is the 2020’s.

The stadium needs to be able to attract other sports in the summer so an all seated version is the only way forward.

Last edited:
From the Telegraph:

PERFECT PITCH FOR SEA EAGLES

The days of 4Pines Park, formerly known as Brookvale Oval, being a deathtrap are over. Manly chief executive Steve Humphreys has boldly declared the much-maligned ground will have the best surface in Sydney as it undergoes a multimillion-dollar facelift.

“I am told we will have the best surface in Sydney,” Humphreys said.

“We have completely excavated everything that was there. The drainage, the irrigation. It has all been carted away and we are building it from the base up again.

“It will be the best possible surface that money can buy.“

The grass itself will boast Santa Ana couch, the same grass used to line the fairways of the prestigious Royal Sydney golf course.

It will be meshed with a system of fibres that mimic the natural root structure, ensuring the surface is more stable and resilient.

The cost will be measured in millions when it is completed but it is money well spent given the reputation the ground has garnered over the years.

The shifting surface and sandy base were blamed for a litany of injuries, prompting the NRL at one point to investigate the surface.

Those days would now appear to be over. Crucially, the changes will mean Manly can train at the ground more regularly. The work has been done with the support of the NSW government and Northern Beaches Council.

“The grass itself is Santa Anna couch, which is premium turf,” Humphreys said.

“It is at the very top end. In addition to that we have got synthetic fibres that are in the sand base. They attach to the roots of the grass.

“That keeps it more firmly in place, so it makes it more durable, which is important for us because we be training at Brookvale as well as playing.

“It is cutting edge. It is best-in-class technology. It will now be the place where everyone wants to play.”

The wonders of science!

The Greatest club of all deserves the best ground of all

The only thing remaining now is a premiership win in 2022

No Pressure Des :)

Agreed. With the Centre of Excellence as well, I wouldn’t think it would be as accessible as it once was!
Can not imagine it would be - especially with the club training there more

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4