Brookie Surface

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Should we start packing up now?
image.jpg

The solution lies with the State government.

Is a modern sports facility on the northern beaches any sort of priority ? The people living in the west are having money thrown at them left and right while the northern beaches are ignored.

I live near Parramatta and even a nuffie like me can see that no section of government has any intention of tipping money into Brookvale because there's no political mileage in it.

If only every club was treated equally. I thought there was nothing the game could do to alienate me. I'm beginning to think I was wrong.

The solution to all this is what we saw in the pre-season - play every game at Rat Park and all fans get there 5 minutes after kick off when they just abandon the gates. Forget booze or food though. Or just have a mate in the park at the back lob tinnies over the fence...

Didn't the council get $5 million to upgrade the ground?

Surely 20% of that is available to do this upgrade?
As much as I'd like to see it happen there isn't ever going to be any $$$ spent on our beloved Brookie. Mate, we've got the PM and Premier from this area and we still get jack **** spent on the place. You'd think with having such powerful people come from our area that we'd finally get something. They NRL don't want us playing there. It's **** and it's not fair but that's the way it is.

Where I used to live in Warriewood nearly all my neighbours had synthetic grass lawns. I think synthetic grass is our thing. Anyone know how the field at Narrabeen Sports High goes???
It buggers up the mower blades by all accounts

NRL players these days .... pussies. There is nothing wrong with Brookie. In my day we would have played on Pittwater Rd.

Thank God Penn didn't pull the plug like Sidney did otherwise we would have been packing up by now .
No we would have been bought by Kaspersky

I wonder of the Penns are starting to get worried about their investment?

Crap ground, about as much chance of getting Warringah council to approve their redevelopment of Brookie oval as the sharks have of ever winning a competition and crowds down substantially on last years figures for two blockbuster games,.

Last edited:
THE NRL has formally written to Manly seeking an immediate explanation over the substandard Brookvale Oval playing surface.

And NRL officials also expressed concern that Manly failed to tell the governing body about Brookvale’s playing surface before last Friday night’s match against Canterbury.

“We have written to the Manly club today reiterating that the quality of the surface at Brookvale Oval on Friday night was substandard,” said NRL head of football, Todd Greenberg. “We have requested a meeting with Manly as well as Warringah Council.

“Clearly, the standard of the playing surface was unacceptable and we will be seeking an understanding of what is planned to ensure that there will not be similar issues for the club’s next match on May 10 (against Newcastle).”

Manly hooker Matt Ballin was struggling to digest all the fuss.

“I didn’t think it was that bad,” Ballin said. “I didn’t really notice any difference compared to previous years. Visually you saw some sand patches and some divots taken out but Brookie Oval has traditionally been known for it’s soft and heavy and slow surface.

“To me I have played on it for 10 or 11 years, maybe more in reserve grade, and I didn’t think there was any noticeable difference. That is my personal opinion, other people may have a different experience, I can’t speak on behalf of them. Maybe the speedsters out wide didn’t like it because it slows them down.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...kvale-oval-pitch/story-e6frf3ru-1227275124416

How good is Ballin's comments

I don't think it's OK for the club's games to be moved elsewhere. It's not called "The Fortress" for no reason, and we need all the advantages we can get with the loss of marquee players for next year. We should move heaven and earth to ensure we remain at the ground.

Yes, other facets of the ground require upgrades, but they are not going to determine whether we continue at the venue, however the state of the playing surface will! Some money is going to have to be spent on patching up the problem areas of the playing surface, and I believe it can be done by round 8. The NRL should fork out the dosh, since they're the ones who have a problem with it. The council won't pay a cent.

Matt Ballin may not be a Manly junior but you can definitely tell he loves this club as much as people like Tooves and Beaver do.

A lot of players (and coaches) in the NRL could learn a lot from the way Matty handles himself with the media.

Not sure what else the club can do. It seems the major obstacle for getting anything done at Brookie(apart from money) is Warringah council.

• 25 Mar 2015
  • Manly Daily
  • Jon Geddes
Council will fix Brookie – Fulton

RUGBY league Immortal and Sea Eagles legend Bob Fulton says Warringah Council should not be blamed for the condition of Brookvale Oval during last Friday’s game with the Bulldogs.

And he says The Fortress will well and truly be ready for Manly’s next scheduled NRL game on the ground against the Knights on Sunday, May 10.

“I think they have identified the problem as being a root issue,” Fulton said.

“There is obviously some disease in the grass and they have plenty of time to fix it.

“The council are all over it and they have a field that has been kept in tiptop order for 40 or 50 years. They know their business.

“And all of a sudden we get this surface which is dangerous, but there is no more that they could have done with it given the circumstances.

“What are they going to do, call the game off on Thursday or Friday afternoon?

“It is unfair to blame the council given the fact that these things happen.”

As a Manly player and coach, Fulton said he had seen Brookvale in far worse condition.

“Twenty or thirty years ago they would have games when it was six inches under water and it ended up being a dust bowl,” he said.

He said the welfare of players was now more to the fore than it was 30 years ago.

Not sure what else the club can do. It seems the major obstacle for getting anything done at Brookie(apart from money) is Warringah council.
Yeah, I wonder if they can be relocated to Central QLD instead.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6