Brisbane Broncos vs Manly Sea Eagles All-time greatest teams

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Boss

1. This is the first match-up article in a series comparing the NRL all-time greatest teams, today pitting the Brisbane Broncos against the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles.
    Both these clubs have been extremely successful winning 14 premierships between them, Manly have eight to Brisbane’s six.
    I will compare both these team’s strengths to determine who would win in a hypothetical match.
    There are a few ground rules I want to go through before we get into the teams:
    1. The fixture match-ups were determined randomly online.
    2. Assume every player is playing at their peak and in their prime.
    3. Only consider how they played for that club, e.g. Johnathan Thurston won’t be included into the Bulldogs team as he was a bench player and didn’t play as well.
    4. The winner will be determined by myself however which teams acclimates most votes will be a huge factor in the decision.
    5. I will post this on fan forums of both teams sites to see their perspective and their reasoning.
    Now onto the good stuff – these are the team I named during my series.
    Brisbane Broncos
    1. Darren Lockyer
    2. Wendell Sailor
    3. Steve Renouf
    4. Justin Hodges
    5. Michael Han****
    6. Kevin Walters
    7. Alfie Langer
    8. Shane Webcke
    9. Jerrod Walters
    10. Glen Lazarus
    11. Gorden Tallis
    12. Brad Thorn
    13. Corey Parker
    14. Shaun Berrigan
    15. Tonie Carroll
    16. Gene Miles
    17. Petro Civoniceva
    State of Origins: 305
    Internationals: 306
    Strengths
    – Lazarus and Webcke form one the greatest prop combinations ever.
    – Alfie Langer of the best halves ever, the small but talented halfback’s running game behind those forwards will be very difficult to defend.
    – Outside backs. Renouf one of the greatest try-scorers ever, Sailor a powerful winger who walks on top of opposition, Hodges’ left foot step and palm made him one of the best centres of his time.
    – Backrow. The aggression and rage of Tallis, uncanny offloading ability of Corey Parker, and class of dual international Brad Thorn makes for an incredible forward pack.
    – Darren Lockyer, what else can be said, one of the greats of this era, his ball skills and Footy IQ made him constant threat in attack.
    Manly- Warringah Sea Eagles
    1. Brett Stewart
    2. Graham Eadie
    3. Bob Fulton
    4. Jamie Lyon
    5. Michael O’ Connor
    6. Cliff Lyons
    7. Geoff Toovey
    8. Roy Bull
    9. Max Krillich
    10. John O’Neil
    11. Terry Randall
    12. Steve Menzies
    13. Malcolm O’Reilly
    14. Des Hasler
    15. Paul Vautin
    16. Anthony Watmough
    17. Alan Thompson
    State Of Origins: 160
    Internationals: 216
    Strengths
    – Their forward pack may not be the most skillful but they may be the most aggressive pack ever assembled, they are fiery and will beat teams physically.
    – Support play and blistering speed of Brett Stewart will thrive on offloads and be a threat whenever the ball is in his hands.
    – Halves pairing of Lyons and Toovey, they compliment each other well, Toovey’s running game with Lyons’ ball playing ability.
    – Graham Eadie although playing wing, he will still be dangerous in attack he was a game breaker, breaks plenty of tackles and set up many tries.
    – The centre paring with Jamie Lyon who was the best centre in his prime he could set up his outside man like no other. Bob Fulton an Immortal who had used his footwork and his superhuman speed to break defensive lines at will.
    I’d like to see who you think will win in a hypothetical match, I have highlighted the strengths of these teams – now let the debate begin.

Bottom of Form

why would you even compare the mighty eagles to the donkeys,last thing i remember is donkey losing a gf because of a choke
when you get to the knights are you going to rule out johns because of his problem

Good Broncos side that, and any side with those props and Darren Lockyer behind them would be tough to beat.

But just look at that Manly side , some of the greatest players to ever pull on a boot....imagine Mal Reilly and Igor tearing into that Broncos pack.

Imagine the enigmatic brilliance of Cliffy Lyons running at the line, and the mighty Wombat tearing up his opposition backs ( Hodges would be ****ting himself).

It's a juicy prospect isn't it.

Honestly ( and I guess when you compare the greats against the greats from any of the big name teams the answer will be the same) it's a toss of the coin.

Once Igor and Reilly figured out that Wally will rather throw a hospital pass than get tackled some Broncos would be having very short games.

With Snake's speed I'd put him on the wing and Wombat at fullback.

I'm as much a fan of Snoz as any Manly fan.....but to select him over Australia's greatest ever winger in Ken Irvine? Please......

Who is Malcolm O'Reilly?

With Snake's speed I'd put him on the wing and Wombat at fullback.
I probably agree, but the prospect of Wombat absolutely smashing 3 Knees Hancock is too tempting. He'd wipe the floor with him.

I'd also have Kitey on the bench for Thompson. Bit light on for size with Des, Fatty and Thommo there.

I have one issue with the team. I hate players being selected out of positions for these kind of things. Either wombat or BS take fullback and the other misses out. In addition we don't even have a winger in that team... Ken Irvine... cough cough.

Manly way too tough. It would be about 50-0 if those two side played under the 1970's rules. Probably a toss of the coin under todays "powder-puff" rules.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4