Bring back the biff

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Bring back the punch: Legend’s ‘barbaric’ plan to end NRL niggle

League legend Gorden Tallis says the NRL should consider scaling back the crackdown on punching in an effort to eradicate “niggling” from the game.
The governing body came down hard on players throwing punches after Paul Gallen’s infamous 2013 State of Origin stoush with Queensland’s Nate Myles.

The NRL gave referees power and permission to send a player off for throwing a punch. Melbourne’s Curtis Scott was marched from the field for putting one on Dylan Walker’s chin last year.

But with the eradication of punching has come a new blight on the game.
Many commentators now believe players are getting away with niggling tactics more often because opponents are much less likely to retaliate with a swinging fist.
And Tallis believes coaches are playing their part by training teams to rile up opponents as much as possible.

“Back when I played there was always one bloke on each side who would push the rules. There was Terry Lamb who would always be offside and give you a little cheap shot, Alf (Langer) was always offside and be into the referees,” Tallis told Triple M on Sunday.

“Now everybody is doing it, to the point a winger will run in to push a front-rower in the face. It’s actually embarrassing, and they are coached to do it now.

“The referees are under so much pressure ... now all 17 (players) are trained to break the rules on every single play, whether it’s holding down a tackle.”

On Friday night at Suncorp Stadium, Broncos player Jake Turpin hit an opponent with a swinging arm and it almost started a punch-up with the Panthers.
Tallis believes if players feared copping a punch after a foul act, there would be less of them in the game.

“I know this sounds a bit barbaric, (but) I’d bring back the punch,” Tallis said.

“It would stop it all. I reckon about 10 occasions on Friday night when I was calling Broncos-Penrith they would run in, every tackle.

“If you pick on someone ... if you’re niggling and being that pest, you got sorted out.”

Have your say feathered friends........

Like cricket or tennis each side gets 2 'square up' calls per match where if a player does a dog act such as Brooks the other night there a 30 second period of square up. The low ****e will disappear pretty quick.

I actually agree with Tallis here, the niggle is just out of control, as people (like Mick Ennis when he played), know they can carry on without any fear of retribution whatsoever.

Seeing wingers push front rowers knowing there is no comeback from them is just the stupidest look.

HOWEVER....

Tallis is just such a hypocrite. He for a long time was swearing off the violence in the game, he condemned Gallen punching Myles......

Forget meat head props ... they were pussy cats ... in the 70's the 2 blokes you wouldn't take on were the half backs and hookers ... those ugly little bastards were just mean, dirty and had no quit in them .... think Raudonikis, Bishop and Piggins ....

Id rather the NRL just crack down on knees to the head, eye gouging, neck pressure, and the dangerous and unnecessary elements of the game rather than bringing back the biff. Nothing in the three pictures below needs to be in the game, I'd rather the refs blow thirty penalties than allowing it.

FB_IMG_1566168614807.jpg

Last edited:
Id rather the NRL just crack down on knees to the head, eye gouging, neck pressure, and the dangerous and unnecessary elements of the game rather than bringing back the biff. Nothing in the three pictures below needs to be in the game, I'd rather the refs blow thirty penalties than allowing it.

FB_IMG_1566168614807.jpg

What sort of gutless cowardly **** is wired to think "I'll yank on a defenceless guy's ears"?

I guess the nrl has enabled this guy for years (y) ears ...get it?.... so it's no wonder he can do absolutely anything on the field and Todd will throw some more accolades and cash at him.

todd must think that the friendlier he is with smith...the more it's like todd himself played 400 games.

Never seen two bigger grubs that needed to be thrown from the sport.

Except maybe Bettman and Marchand (from the nhl)

Sometimes too much biff on the field leads to biffo in the crowds.

Sometimes too much biff on the field leads to biffo in the crowds.

And broken eye sockets.
There is about as much chance of the NRL bringing back punching as there is of parliament repealing the one-punch law.
However it's great to see rugby league's deepest thinkers like Gordie hard at work trying to better the game.

Tallis is normally a buffoon, but in this case he's dead right. Way too much niggle goes on in games these days because they know that the rules frown upon retaliation with things like punching.

I'd have loved to see sCam Smith try the crap he's done through his career on players like Mal Reilly, Lurch, Igor or Spud. They'd have knocked his block off.

HOWEVER....

Tallis is just such a hypocrite. He for a long time was swearing off the violence in the game, he condemned Gallen punching Myles......

Lets be honest on that one. Queenslander's like Tallis condemned Gallen for punching Myles. How many of them would have condemned it if it was Myles throwing the punches instead of Gallen? Pretty much none, they'd have loved it, including Tallis.

Tallis swearing off violence in the game.....I wonder if his fight with Terry O'Connor in 1997 was a fact. Tallis threw the first few, but came off worse for wear.

Was it Thurston who leaned around his dummy half marker to slap the face of a NSWelshman playing the ball in a SOO match soon after they banned the punch?

Stuff like that should be treated as a strike to the head (just like a punch) & penalised accordingly.

In fact, if they took the same heavy stance they took to punching to any sort of non-tackling contact made, I reckon they could stamp the niggle out just as quickly as they stamped out the punch.

FB_IMG_1566168614807.jpg
Is he twisting his ears? sCameron Smitt at it again! Remember the tackle he did on thaiday to miss the 2008 gf? He tried to rip his head off the scumbag. Oh and sCam elbowing Ballin to the face AND getting a penalty. Fmd imagine if Ballin did that to Smitt he'd still be in the sin bin

FB_IMG_1566168614807.jpg

This is the 2008 horror tackle he was suspended for. He's still a dog

Is he twisting his ears? sCameron Smitt at it again! Remember the tackle he did on thaiday to miss the 2008 gf? He tried to rip his head off the scumbag. Oh and sCam elbowing Ballin to the face AND getting a penalty. Fmd imagine if Ballin did that to Smitt he'd still be in the sin bin

I think it's actually a chokehold... he is putting pressure right where the carotid arteries are, and he looks like he is pushing with his left arm.

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8