Brad Parker the man!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Kelly is still so young, he will be a very good first grader for many years to come.

Kelly looks to have added a few kgs in the offseason - doesn't seem like the defensive liability he was last year.

The best part is, he's still lightning quick in attack - beautiful step and deceptively quick off the mark. Perhaps a touch quicker between the ears this year too.

Parker will be our #3 centre but will apply plenty of pressure on Kelly and (pending his recovery) Dylan.

Good times!

With a little over 1 years combined first grade experience, Kelly and Parker made internationals and Origin reps Jennings and Hayne look second rate yesterday.

Parker was a tad clunky in attack, though that will come with more game time outside of DCE, but his defence was brilliant. Whenever Cherry missed someone, it was generally Brad who mopped up. And Kelly has stepped up this year. His defence was strong and while he may not be James Roberts quick, his step and speed off the mark is going to cause headaches for opposition centres this year, including Roberts.

And we still have Dylan Walker who when on form is arguably the best centre in the NRL, to come back from injury.

In fact, right now if Walker were to come back next week, if I were Barrett I would be tempted to play him at Blacktown for a couple of weeks just to get some match fitness and I wouldn't mess with the NRL side until he's ready.

Of course, we all know that the moment Dylan is cleared to play that he'll be picked in first grade and its likely that Brad Parker will be back in NSW Cup. But I'd be seriously tempted to keep the current status quo, at least for a week or two.

In fact, right now if Walker were to come back next week, if I were Barrett I would be tempted to play him at Blacktown for a couple of weeks just to get some match fitness and I wouldn't mess with the NRL side until he's ready.

Of course, we all know that the moment Dylan is cleared to play that he'll be picked in first grade and its likely that Brad Parker will be back in NSW Cup. But I'd be seriously tempted to keep the current status quo, at least for a week or two.
Understand what ur saying but if Walks is fit , he has to come straight in . Go for the throat .

Brad Parker could easily end up in the Manly back row sooner or latter . Of course going well as a centre now but has played back row in the Manly juniors . Might also allow Manly then to keep the likes of Kelly , Tom Wright and Anderson in approaching seasons .

Understand what ur saying but if Walks is fit , he has to come straight in . Go for the throat .

Whilst hopeful, I can't see Walker returning with the same power and explosiveness he had pre-injury - not in the short term. Surgeries on the top + bottom halves of the body make for a difficult rehab, significant muscular atrophy.

He might be "fit to play" in a couple of weeks, but he wont have the impact we expect until much later in the season.

I guess the questions are:
1. Is a half baked Walker still ahead of Kelly / Parker?
2. Does Walkers standing give him preference regardless of question #1?

• 👍
Reactions: R3
it would be madness to bring him back before his body & mind is completely ready .... we have a great stand in in Brad Parker and Tom Wright plus Jackson Hastings, Tevita Funa, & Matt Wright has shown to be a dependable stand in when called up.

He is young and in outstanding physical condition .... his body will recover at an amassing rate ....

Don't be surprised to be surprised. ...

Brad Parker could easily end up in the Manly back row sooner or latter . Of course going well as a centre now but has played back row in the Manly juniors . Might also allow Manly then to keep the likes of Kelly , Tom Wright and Anderson in approaching seasons .

Check that "back row in juniors"

To my knowledge he has always played centre, centre or sometimes centre.

Heard Barrett say they had a plan to turn him into a back rower ... but with our depth there this year .. and our shortage of backs .... that plan has probably been shelved.

The biggest concern with Walker is his defence. Parker didn't miss a trick on Sunday but Dylan did a lot of turnstile impersonations last year. If that is sorted then he should be straight back in the side.

I have a feeling that Parker might put some pressure on Uate. When Walker is back and fit - he will slot in.

This is Uate’s final year in his contract, so Parker might be considered as a cheap replacement option who is also tall and probably better under the high ball.

It will be interesting.

With a little over 1 years combined first grade experience, Kelly and Parker made internationals and Origin reps Jennings and Hayne look second rate yesterday.

Parker was a tad clunky in attack, though that will come with more game time outside of DCE, but his defence was brilliant. Whenever Cherry missed someone, it was generally Brad who mopped up. And Kelly has stepped up this year. His defence was strong and while he may not be James Roberts quick, his step and speed off the mark is going to cause headaches for opposition centres this year, including Roberts.

And we still have Dylan Walker who when on form is arguably the best centre in the NRL, to come back from injury.

Yep his defence is the best we have and really works well with Cherry.

Parker can read the game better than most, truly a footballer rather than an athlete. He does a lot of little things, 1 percenters if you will well above his pay grade and experience. One example sticks in my mind chasing a late win against the panthers in 2016 saw TT come into the line so Parker drops back 20m to cover fullback just in case, until the ball started to come right and then he sprints back into position ready in time.

As said attack will improve when given a good run in the same position - if he had the chance Kelly has got then I think it would be Brian who.

Whilst he might have played a game or 2 in the backrow (I cannot recall) he is a centre, was a centre and always played centre coming through barring the occasional injury cover. It is his position and he knows it very well.

Check that "back row in juniors"

To my knowledge he has always played centre, centre or sometimes centre.

Heard Barrett say they had a plan to turn him into a back rower ... but with our depth there this year .. and our shortage of backs .... that plan has probably been shelved.
Thought that i read a couple of years ago that Brad was also playing some back row as a junior rep so just assumed also with his Manly junior club but certainly would stand corrected if wrong . Also i was a bit vague when suggesting any back row transition , i more had in mind a later time , post 2019 or so and only in the context of still trying to again accommodate the likes of Kelly , Tom Wright and Anderson in the Manly ranks , The fact that Brad is capable of adeptly handing centre , wing and probably back row certainly makes him a quite versatile individual player .

• 👍
Reactions: R3
I’ll be prepared to rate Parker and Kelly after they oppose Evan Aitken who had a picnic against Kelly last year.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8