Blow out scores

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
"However, V’landys believes the games for the most part are “entertaining” and said he won’t be legislating to keep weaker sides in contests.
“The measures have got to promote open and entertaining games, not to give bad teams a chance,” V’landys said."

Idiotic thing to say. Yes it is entertaining if your own team is thrashing someone by 40 but for watching neutral games it is a massive turn-off, certainly has been for me.

The new rules need tweaking. They were brought in to stop the wrestle but the problem is clear, momentum now is king and the better teams don't have players who drop the ball, so they can apply pressure, and teams with players who drop the ball are put under such defensive pressure they inevitably crack.

It is disingenuous to say the low teams need to improve their rosters. "They all have the same money, so they have to look at how they spend their money," says Vlandys. Yes, right, lol. There may be about 5% of rubgy league fans who believe that statement is true!

They have a very mobile roster that is for sure - well compared to us. Boyle Jetski Suli... plus we have a few turnstiles - Garrick Saab etc
No hint of touch footy with the panthers, they tackle their backsides off and hit way above their weight, it’s not the rules that’s ruining the game, the sides languishing at the bottom have and are failing to adapt, even if you consider the sudden rule changes, the top level teams have been working their game over for some time, by that I mean, increasing their speed and endurance, balancing their sides with high minute players, recruiting to support the development of those concepts, sure they may have more money, but I don’t think that’s 100% it, I’ve said this before, Parra have trimmed both their starting props down over the off season, searching for extra speed, bigger minutes and being able to stay competitive for longer periods of the game, these are small things to the naked eye that provide big performance gains to teams that are constantly searching for and implementing ways to improve. It’s all about professionalism and unfortunately we haven’t adapted in that department very well, this stings, but we still have a culture of filling our coaching and staff roles with a jobs for the boys type approach, only manly people or manly players understand our culture type rubbish, might of been so in the past, but as we keep mentioning change is a constant, those clubs that seek to constantly evolve their level of professionalism to move with or ahead of the changes are reaping the benefits of that approach, we need to seriously consider concentrating on our own short comings before blaming the game, the rules, the admin whatever, just face the facts, the truths and get on with improving every aspect of our football club, because we are just simply not keeping up.

The NRL suffer AFL inadequacy complex. The NRL clearly want a game now that has as many NRL tries as AFL goals. The NRL think the amount of points scored in a game is a measure of the game's entertainment. All because all AFL games draw big crowds, no matter if there are blow outs. The AFL can put tv commercials after each goal.

I can understand what your inferring, he is a gifted player, I didn’t rate him initially, I’m happy to admit I got that wrong, his high quality and brings an awesome energy to the game, it’s infectious and his team mates love it, his an unbelievable athlete and team man, gets his side up and motivates them for the full 80, yes his game is all over the park similar to a touch player, but the panthers are so well balanced he has everyone working around him which gives him that freedom, I have know doubt they have developed that aspect of their game to suit his skills, his game and freedom was noticeable different against the storm, weather that was the storm shutting his game down or the fact he was without his first receiver and usual game manager in Cleary or probably a combination of both, doesn’t matter really, the panthers are just ahead of the game, their fitness, their youthfulness, their physics, the way they all work defensively and support the ball, their professionalism and adaptation to playing a quick style of game draws the comparisons to touch, if we can’t identify with those concepts an adapt we simply will never compete.

There has always been blow out score and will always be blow out scores when you have great sides playing against not so great sides in any era

The great Manly teams used to thrash the Newtowns and the other not so great teams by big scores

We can still see tough defense and brilliant attack in the new game as we saw when the panthers recently played the storm . It was a cracking game .

Agreed, but occasionally the Bears or Jets did actually beat Manly, or at least make it a very close game and a lucky escape for Manly. Who at the moment can see any of the bottom 4 winning again ever vs the top clubs?

The other difference from the 1970s and 80s is that there were only 2 or 3 games on tv each weekend. The bottom teams and their floggings were rarely on tv and only seen by those at the ground. And the Sydney RL premiership had no competing other sports to worry about like AFL, A-League or Super Rugby.

“It’s not that there are new rules and all of a sudden you can’t tackle.”

Couldnt be further from the truth.
The amount of fatigue we are putting teams under with increased ball in play and the 6 again rule means that players all of a sudden are too tired to tackle.

Scary if the head of the NRL can’t see that.
He can’t see a lot of things. He has had too much smoke blown up his butt. He has done some very good things, he is light years ahead of the other two who preceded him, but his tinkering with the game has sent it backwards.

The problem is the media are trying to tell us all what we think. “The fans love the new game, they want an ultra fast game with plenty of tries....these are not the droids you are looking for”. “These are not the droids we are looking for...move along...we love touch football...more please”.

Aaah bite me - the game sucks now.

Agreed, but occasionally the Bears or Jets did actually beat Manly, or at least make it a very close game and a lucky escape for Manly. Who at the moment can see any of the bottom 4 winning again ever vs the top clubs?

The other difference from the 1970s and 80s is that there were only 2 or 3 games on tv each weekend. The bottom teams and their floggings were rarely on tv and only seen by those at the ground. And the Sydney RL premiership had no competing other sports to worry about like AFL, A-League or Super Rugby.
I like the new fast game because The new game does not tolerate

Unfit players
Slow players
ill discipline players

The new game will be the ending of mediocre players

Nothing mediocre is of high standard

No hint of touch footy with the panthers, they tackle their backsides off and hit way above their weight, it’s not the rules that’s ruining the game, the sides languishing at the bottom have and are failing to adapt, even if you consider the sudden rule changes, the top level teams have been working their game over for some time, by that I mean, increasing their speed and endurance, balancing their sides with high minute players, recruiting to support the development of those concepts, sure they may have more money, but I don’t think that’s 100% it, I’ve said this before, Parra have trimmed both their starting props down over the off season, searching for extra speed, bigger minutes and being able to stay competitive for longer periods of the game, these are small things to the naked eye that provide big performance gains to teams that are constantly searching for and implementing ways to improve. It’s all about professionalism and unfortunately we haven’t adapted in that department very well, this stings, but we still have a culture of filling our coaching and staff roles with a jobs for the boys type approach, only manly people or manly players understand our culture type rubbish, might of been so in the past, but as we keep mentioning change is a constant, those clubs that seek to constantly evolve their level of professionalism to move with or ahead of the changes are reaping the benefits of that approach, we need to seriously consider concentrating on our own short comings before blaming the game, the rules, the admin whatever, just face the facts, the truths and get on with improving every aspect of our football club, because we are just simply not keeping up.
Think that is a quite good take in general but put Tom , a fit Fainu , Davey , Oloakau - atu and maybe even Siro [ like to see Saddler as well ] into the Manly side and fairly confident that they would not be languishing or struggling to be competitive . Plus a better performing D C E . Just should not be so clueless in the opposition;s 20 , lack of repeat sets disjointed attack , Also, just so much ineffective defence in the main and all of this really has got nothing to do with rule changes . As previously mentioned , i am quite sure if Manly were in a better position or showing good form and playing to their potential , they would not be too many complaints about the new rules . Could be wrong , but quite sure that two of Manly "s best games last season against the Eels [ should have won] and the Raiders [ a brave win ] were with the new rules . Stronger Manly line ups but certainly down hill since then and really just can not be mainly attributed to the rule changes .

Manly might play better under Rafferty 's rules , any suggestions ?

Manly might play better under Rafferty 's rules , any suggestions ?
I’ve got plenty, but I’m no expert so I doubt my input is seriously wanted in any case, however I would like to touch on those 2 games you mentioned in your previous post, we were robbed on the Parra game and yes we played well that day to compete and should of won, very similar to the raiders game, which we did win of course, very gutsy effort, but with both those games we had to play so far above our weekly effort and from memory we went a little flat after the Parra loss, similar with the raiders victory, we had to play both those games like they were semifinals for us, which we did, then both those games flattened us and we weren’t able to build on or maintain that style of game.
I respect your posts, your always looking for the positives and are a true loyal supporter, I wish I could say something positive to be kind in return, but there‘s not a lot that’s right at the moment, we need to own the truth and make the hard calls, until the powers that be step up of that front it’s going to be a bit like Des, more of the same.

I’ve got plenty, but I’m no expert so I doubt my input is seriously wanted in any case, however I would like to touch on those 2 games you mentioned in your previous post, we were robbed on the Parra game and yes we played well that day to compete and should of won, very similar to the raiders game, which we did win of course, very gutsy effort, but with both those games we had to play so far above our weekly effort and from memory we went a little flat after the Parra loss, similar with the raiders victory, we had to play both those games like they were semifinals for us, which we did, then both those games flattened us and we weren’t able to build on or maintain that style of game.
I respect your posts, your always looking for the positives and are a true loyal supporter, I wish I could say something positive to be kind in return, but there‘s not a lot that’s right at the moment, we need to own the truth and make the hard calls, until the powers that be step up of that front it’s going to be a bit like Des, more of the same.
Yeah ,unfortunately grim times for Manly but good to get some well considered analyses with your type of posts . Has to be some valid criticisms why Des has persisted with basically the same line ups for a couple of weeks now and placing Boyle a middle forward [ but who is a trier ] against one of the most damaging runners in Kikau was perplexing to say the least . Missing some key players has always to be taken into account but just can 't excuse some of the uncharacteristic and below par individual and overall team form for a real long time now . Some individual good efforts but means nothing when the collective form is constantly falling so far short of a competitive level . Most teams are just targeting Manly 's weak edges [ or failing to number up ] and the rot continues . Surely will have to be a couple some key changes this week

I like the new fast game because The new game does not tolerate

Unfit players
Slow players
ill discipline players

The new game will be the ending of mediocre players

Nothing mediocre is of high standard

The new game is just AFL with an onside rule and tries. I can watch AFL if i want to watch a track meet instead of footballers playing footy.

The NRL may as well remove Artie Beetson from the Hall of Fame as he is not an example of a NRL footballer. No more Shane Webcke or George Rose. The value of Jake Trbojevic has evaporated.

If the NRL want to have a pro touch footy NRL comp then they should set one up, but leave the main NRL alone to play rugby league, preferably with the rules from around 1990.

Last edited:
Vlandy’s takd on it so far.

Lol! 'We won't promote mediocrity'. What does the NRL salary cap do NRL? It protects the weak from the strong! By their logic the NRL has no need or justification for a salary cap either.

The new game is just AFL with an onside rule and tries. I can watch AFL if i want to watch a track meet instead of footy.

The NRL may was well remove Artie Beetson from the Hall of Fame as he is not an example of a NRL footballer. No more Shane Webcke or George Rose. The value of Jake Trbojevic has evaporated.

If the NRL want to have a pro touch footy NRL comp then they should set one up, but leave the main NRL alone to play rugby league, preferably with the rules from around 1990.
In the old game The Great Artie had to cut down from 50 pies a week to 5 pies a week and do some serious training to trim down and to compete at his best

The moral of the story
Change brings out the best of the best

Dear Des ,

Advice for your next recruitment drive

SLOW PLAYERS SLOW THE TEAM DOWN !

SPEED KILLS

THE FASTER YOU GO

THE BIGGER THE MESS YOU LEAVE BEHIND

SPEED DOMINATES IN ALL FOOTBALL CODES

Vlandy’s takd on it so far.

This is why our form is so dangerous. V’landys has shown with NSW Racing and in the NRL so far nothing is off the table. The weak pussies like Greenberg are a thing of the past.

Team gets weak crowds, weak membership etc then I’m sure the NRL would love a no bye season in 2023.
Be crazy to underestimate the risk we face right now.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6