Biggest problem 2016 is INJURIES

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I might not know much about the game compared to some on here but even I know that you can not win games without a healthy consistent team.

How many games did the key players miss in 08 & 11?

Isz, you don't have to be expert, some things are obvious to those that will see.

Our forwards since the debacle of the first two weeks selections have been fairly consistent and their improvement can be seen.

If you accept that a team revolves around its spine then it is in this area that we have had the greatest disruption.

Fullback. 3 in 9 games.
half back 3 in 9 games
5/8 (Rookie in terms of 5/8 exper.) 2 in 9 games
Hooker 3 in 9 games

As a result our attack is not happening.

Isz, you don't have to be expert, some things are obvious to those that will see.

Our forwards since the debacle of the first two weeks selections have been fairly consistent and their improvement can be seen.

If you accept that a team revolves around its spine then it is in this area that we have had the greatest disruption.

Fullback. 3 in 9 games.
half back 3 in 9 games
5/8 (Rookie in terms of 5/8 exper.) 2 in 9 games
Hooker 3 in 9 games

As a result our attack is not happening.
Woodsie absolutely nails it!!!
Not even just a common sense opinion....Fact !!

Also I guess it comes down to what you want to see

You can see the injuries or you can focus on the negative results

Considering the injuries we have had and the horrible draw, we've done well to be fighting for a spot in the top 8. This time last year we were stone motherless last and many of us were praying that we wouldn't get the clubs first wooden spoon.

This season at various times we have had Brett Stewart, Tom Trbojevic, Steve Matai, Jorge Taufua, Daly Cherry-Evans, Matt Parcell, Tom Symonds, Jake Trbojevic, Api Koroisau, Jamie Buhrer, Josh Starling and Brenton Lawrence all missing with injury. Feleti Mateo has been on the outer and we also lost Martin Taupau to suspension for one game and have chopped and changed our team ad nauseam.

Not once have we actually been able to field what could be considered anywhere near our top 17 (and we all seem to have differing opinions of the make up of that 17). I honestly think we are a top 8 team with our best players on the park, possibly even a top 4 team. But so far we haven't come close to having that.

And for the record, I personally think our top 17 is:

Stewart, T. Trbojevic, Lyon, Matai, Taufua, Walker, Cherry-Evans, Starling, Parcell, Myles, Buhrer, Taupau, J. Trbojevic. Res - Brown, Vave, Lawrence, Fonua-Blake.

Last edited:
Also I guess it comes down to what you want to see

You can see the injuries or you can focus on the negative results

In reality it is pretty much a mixed bag of positives and negatives. I don't blame injuries to key players on some other areas that I think have been wanting.

I am simply not prepared to blame the coach or DCE for all our ills.

5x5 day turnarounds, injuries to Snake, DCS, Tom, and Ferris, no consistent spine, ( a different one every week) and 5 of those spine players new to the club, No regular training schedule possible, would test seasoned coaches like Bennett or Hasler.

The fact that TB, has dealt with that in his first 9 weeks of coaching, and hasn't lost the plot tells me there is more to him than people give him credit for.

Sounds like a thread dedicated to making excuses. That is very un-Manly like culture wise. I'd rather not embrace mediocrity, and show our players the respect enough to demand something better. They are better than this slop we are seeing.

As @bob dylan rightfully said, other clubs have had it worse than us. The Warriors withdrew six players, and came out and won that game. They didn't use excuses like this.

The Eels have been without Foran and others, and they are a damned solid team. No excuses.

We are one of maybe two / three teams you could say are a definite loss to tje likes of The Cowboys / Broncos. That's not good enough.

At 4 wins from 9 games, our players should be under immense pressure to perform. But obviously not. What, is this the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

No excuses. The way ownership treated Toovey on the premise of it being a results driven business, demands that we expect to be above a .500 team.

Lift Manly. You're underperforming, and not doing our historic jersey the justice and respect it deserves.
The players and coaching staff would not be making any excuses. As fans we have a right to be frustrated with the corrupt scheduling we have had and also frustrated at the horrible luck we have had with injuries. The Teams at the top are also the teams who have had the least injuries and have had the sweetest draw, again this being a fact.

Firstly your like a reactive brat so it's doubtful you would know how to have an adult discussion....have seen your past form, including abusive childish antics after giving out false, misleading information...something you have held a grudge on since I called you out on it with Liam Knight a done deal at Roosters- which I knew was crap.
The point to double hoops was simply stating my opinion - support the team in good & tough times....not a fan of people turning on the team as soon as times get tough....that's what other supports do- very rarely a trait of a fellow Sea eagles....though in fairness if you read on....more pointed out AGAIN, any team missing key players will struggle...pure fact.
The rebuild call is obvious to myself & anyone else who realise after losing Ballin & Foran just this season....
With Lyon , Stewart & Matai all hot on their heels....the nucleus of the team & key players are in their twilight make "rebuilding" a fairly obvious call.

If I act like a reactive brat, it's because you've made an absolutely moronic comment like, "if you don't like it, support another team".

Then you carry on with bull**** like, support a team through good times and bad.

Which one is it? You want everyone to piss off, or you want everyone to stick with the team. Not sure what your after.

If you revert to that thread about Liam Knight, I clearly stated it was my opinion when asked, was wrong, apologised and moved on.

Also, I hold no grudges. Unlike yourself, if someone makes a compelling enough statement in a debate, I'm always willing to concede.

If you then start a debate by calling someone a terrible supporter, it really shows the low level you'd sink to.

Get over yourself @maxta . People are free to critique the team whether you like it or not. Puffing out your chest and beating on it won't change that.

You're preaching to the wrong demographic. You're whingeing about the long term fans here frustrated at the teams form. If you were smart about it, the people you should be trying to cyber bully are the one's who don't turn up to games, don't turn up here, don't buy the gear and aren't members.

But keep telling fans to piss off and support other teams mate. If that's what gets you excited and fulfils you in some way, go for it.

And sorry, we are not in a rebuild. Full strength, with the right attitude, the right systems, the right culture etc we are the equal of anyone else in the league.

You're wrong. If the players lifted and played to their ability, we'd be better. That's why people get frustrated.

You saying we are starting a full rebuild is under selling our current roster. Under selling and being dreadfully negative.

Over the past week or so since the rep round, a lot has been said in the media about the lack of time training together that hurt teams like the Kangaroos (even though they won). Well, the same could be said of Manly. Not only have we had injuries since the pre-season, but with the 5 five day turnarounds we have probably done more practice as a team in the past fortnight than we have managed in the past 2 months.

And we've still had to do that with a makeshift side because Snake has been injured, Tommy, Jorge have been out, Skivy had his shoulder problems etc.

I'm not expecting miracles tonight against Brisbane. I just hope we can make a good showing of it because like 2 weeks ago against NQ I think we're well and truly up against it tonight.

would be nice to have regular 7 day turnarounds

wonder how long it has been since the Broncos won a game not on a Friday night?

Firstly your like a reactive brat so it's doubtful you would know how to have an adult discussion....have seen your past form, including abusive childish antics after giving out false, misleading information...something you have held a grudge on since I called you out on it with Liam Knight a done deal at Roosters- which I knew was crap.
The point to double hoops was simply stating my opinion - support the team in good & tough times....not a fan of people turning on the team as soon as times get tough....that's what other supports do- very rarely a trait of a fellow Sea eagles....though in fairness if you read on....more pointed out AGAIN, any team missing key players will struggle...pure fact.
The rebuild call is obvious to myself & anyone else who realise after losing Ballin & Foran just this season....
With Lyon , Stewart & Matai all hot on their heels....the nucleus of the team & key players are in their twilight make "rebuilding" a fairly obvious call.

@maxta I often agree with your posts. I think you have seen an email responding to yours and taken it a bit personal lad. We have a different opinio no biggie. But I am disappointed from my posts that your suggesting I go support another team. Been supporting the Sea Eagles for 30 years, so not about to stop any time soon. After just getting home after driving 2000 km this weekend to watch the boys play, I can guarantee you won't get rid of me that easily;-).

I've been Williame number one supporter on here all year, so id suggest, giving a young bloke even if in his early staged he has an error or two in him should tell you its not all about winning and losing more me.

But that dont mean i wont say me piece when I see some things at our club I don't like the look of. Just as you do.

Not saying it hasnt contributed at all. But after Sat night I am sticking with injuries not being our biggest issue.

@maxta I often agree with your posts. I think you have seen an email responding to yours and taken it a bit personal lad. We have a different opinio no biggie. But I am disappointed from my posts that your suggesting I go support another team. Been supporting the Sea Eagles for 30 years, so not about to stop any time soon. After just getting home after driving 2000 km this weekend to watch the boys play, I can guarantee you won't get rid of me that easily;-).

I've been Williame number one supporter on here all year, so id suggest, giving a young bloke even if in his early staged he has an error or two in him should tell you its not all about winning and losing more me.

But that dont mean i wont say me piece when I see some things at our club I don't like the look of. Just as you do.

Not saying it hasnt contributed at all. But after Sat night I am sticking with injuries not being our biggest issue.
Probably not a literally desired call Hoops....just sick of supporters jumping off Manly in tough times yet high fiving & proud when winning....always believe you find your real friends in life when times are tough, as everyone is there in the good times.
IF you read on from the part about supporting a rival team, it was to more or less point out that regardless of who you support....they will struggle missing their spine - fullback, 1/2 back, Hooker....still not sure how you don't understand that, as have always liked your intelligent input on here....obviously just differing opinions & on the support call....I know your as passionate a Manly fan as any on here.

Forget the injuries our problems stem from the coaching staff.
1) rookie coach( no idea of team selection and attacking structure, we look a rabble week in week out)
2)Unfit with no line speed even with tke week off
3)Defensively hopeless.Every time the opposition has the ball I have my heart in my mouth. I blame the storm scum bag we signed. Why would they let him go if he was any good?
4) the Penns

This squad was second favourites to win the comp at the beginning of the year. There was much fanfare and I was excited. We are way off the pace. FACT
I hope we can turn things around, but it's looking like a bleak year ahead

I stand 100% behind the fact injuries have been a major contributor to the struggle we are presently witnessing on the field.
At the same time, it probably came across that this factor is the only issue but it's not, so would like to add other key factors...
It's a new team, positions, structures, coaching & have lost players who bled Manly, plus have older legends still playing past their best ....almost the perfect storm.
Not going to bag Barrett who can coach according to top shelf NRL players, but the platform Manly has built the past decade of success with steely, aggressive defence is gone...showing maybe the new resime do not understand the Manly culture.
The attack in recent years has also been on the decline with the predictable sweep play earning less fruit each season, but now, is a level down again...with players 1 out, very flat & sadly....not a great spectacle as a fan.
To reiterate- I do believe a major factor is injuries, particularly in the spine....but there are many other issues - the energetic attitude we have been spoiled with is hibernating & hope it wakes up soon....

• 🤝
Reactions: mbe
I stand 100% behind the fact injuries have been a major contributor to the struggle we are presently witnessing on the field.
At the same time, it probably came across that this factor is the only issue but it's not, so would like to add other key factors...
It's a new team, positions, structures, coaching & have lost players who bled Manly, plus have older legends still playing past their best ....almost the perfect storm.
Not going to bag Barrett who can coach according to top shelf NRL players, but the platform Manly has built the past decade of success with steely, aggressive defence is gone...showing maybe the new resime do not understand the Manly culture.
The attack in recent years has also been on the decline with the predictable sweep play earning less fruit each season, but now, is a level down again...with players 1 out, very flat & sadly....not a great spectacle as a fan.
To reiterate- I do believe a major factor is injuries, particularly in the spine....but there are many other issues - the energetic attitude we have been spoiled with is hibernating & hope it wakes up soon....
I saw the replay against the Broncos and what we produced with quality world class and experienced players like Tom T Killer Walker DCE Tapau Miles Brown to name a few was a joke . I don't mind losing and being competitive but the competitive team on paper was not done justice by our non competitive coaching staff.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4