Biggest problem 2016 is INJURIES

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Everyone looking for solutions to why the team is not as fluent as it could be, in reality needs to check injuries.
Sure a team of 6-7 new players will take time to learn combinations, especially in the spine, but fact is....ANY team who continues to have 3-5 key players missing will struggle for cohesion.
Considering the callibre of players who have been out, the effort has been commendable....with only 2 games against Cows & Dogs not really in it.
Unfortunately this age factor the media critics jumped on prematurely back in 2010-2011, is now a genuine issue.
I am simply looking forward to a stretch of 4-5 straight games at full strength as really believe the top team could rate up in the top 4....however if this chop/change from the first 10 rounds continues, will struggle to play finals footy, like any team would.

Manly were run ragged by the NRL scheduling.
Most of the injuries are due to strained ligaments that were not given an opportunity to recover in 5 days.:cool:

Tonight is the start of a less gruelling stage of our draw.
Hopefully no one is called up for SOO and the bodies refresh with the BYEs comming up.:)

not many top class full backs or centres coming off contract end of this year ... a few 5/8s & 1/2s Peter Wallace (would be reasonably priced) to 1/2 DCE to 5/8 Walker & Brad Parker centres Tafua (persevere for another season ?) M Wright on wings TT fullback
possibly T Wright, N Hynes Lavaka, Api Korisao, Ramien & Lewis Brown backup backs ... thoughts?

I think it's time for Lyon to go to five eighth. I have been really keen to give walker time but injuries haven't allowed him the opportunity to transition well in that role. Buy Keary for next year.

not many top class full backs or centres coming off contract end of this year ... a few 5/8s & 1/2s Peter Wallace (would be reasonably priced) to 1/2 DCE to 5/8 Walker & Brad Parker centres Tafua (persevere for another season ?) M Wright on wings TT fullback
possibly T Wright, N Hynes Lavaka, Api Korisao, Ramien & Lewis Brown backup backs ... thoughts?
Not a bad idea signing Wallace he would give DCE the ability to run it a but more but he is still a bit old would rather go after norms. We can't throw Parker in the deep end just yet we should blood him on the wing. O'Neil or Bowen should be signed to fix the centre problem.

Guys, get used to injuries, the game has changed.

Just look at the impacts in the game last night Souff/Parra. How any of those forwards can back up in 5 days let alone 7 is beyond me. Add to that the number of 3rd tackler in attacking and twisting legs and you have a recipe for all manner of leg injuries.

Other than Snakes hammies (chronic) Turbo's ankle (old) Ferris jaw (impact) we have been incredibly fortunate to have had so few of our top 17 injured.

And Matai, the way he throws himself at the defense and hits in tackles, it is a testament to the medical staff that he gets up, let alone finishes a game.

Sounds like a thread dedicated to making excuses. That is very un-Manly like culture wise. I'd rather not embrace mediocrity, and show our players the respect enough to demand something better. They are better than this slop we are seeing.

As @bob dylan rightfully said, other clubs have had it worse than us. The Warriors withdrew six players, and came out and won that game. They didn't use excuses like this.

The Eels have been without Foran and others, and they are a damned solid team. No excuses.

We are one of maybe two / three teams you could say are a definite loss to tje likes of The Cowboys / Broncos. That's not good enough.

At 4 wins from 9 games, our players should be under immense pressure to perform. But obviously not. What, is this the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

No excuses. The way ownership treated Toovey on the premise of it being a results driven business, demands that we expect to be above a .500 team.

Lift Manly. You're underperforming, and not doing our historic jersey the justice and respect it deserves.

Excuses. Excuses Excuses.

Its a team game. We have a squad of players, because Injuries are part and parcel of this contact game we love.

Sure your first choice halfback is a bigger loss then most. But generally I would be surprised if there is one team who has all of their top 17 on the park this week. Are the dogs complaining about Kerrod Holland playing centre ATM? Depth and lesser known guys knowing there role being able to do there job is a massive part of this game.

If we arent playing well, we arent playing well. But no excuses.

We would NOT have had the highest amount of injuries this year. If u take away one good game vs Cronulla, our team collectively and for some individually so far have under performed .

There is an opportunity to turn that all around this arve.

Sounds like a thread dedicated to making excuses. That is very un-Manly like culture wise. I'd rather not embrace mediocrity, and show our players the respect enough to demand something better. They are better than this slop we are seeing.

As @bob dylan rightfully said, other clubs have had it worse than us. The Warriors withdrew six players, and came out and won that game. They didn't use excuses like this.

The Eels have been without Foran and others, and they are a damned solid team. No excuses.

We are one of maybe two / three teams you could say are a definite loss to tje likes of The Cowboys / Broncos. That's not good enough.

At 4 wins from 9 games, our players should be under immense pressure to perform. But obviously not. What, is this the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

No excuses. The way ownership treated Toovey on the premise of it being a results driven business, demands that we expect to be above a .500 team.

Lift Manly. You're underperforming, and not doing our historic jersey the justice and respect it deserves.

What a poor excuse for a supporter - Cheer when you win - bag when you lose - pretty shallow imo....

The initial post is based on fact - you seriously don't think its a tough ask to have key players missing on top of so many new faces, trying to adjust to new structures.

Thread for excuses - its reality relating to the effect of injuries like....
Stewart
DCE
Jake
Taufua
Matai
Buhrer
Parcel
Api
Turbo
Take Nth Qld - they lose Thurston, Morgan, Tamouolou, Scott & some outside backs & lose as many as they win....doubt they would be .500 on win/loss ratios....probably .200 - but not all can understand this so keep bagging trainers, coaches & the ball boys - just keep making nonsense as people will expect less from you before laughing at your posts.

Do you actually understand after such a dominant 10 year period there is a rebuilding period- in process atm, this is minus injuries & aging bodies, about as good as could be??

If you except mediocrity at a footy club you will always get mediocrity. We still have a good squad, and can still do big thing this year.

Even tonight without Snake and Matai out. Are we no hope because of those two injuries? Or are we potentially better? Snakes been terribly quiet, Lewis Brown has struggle to even find a place in our squad and has done nothing of note in our colours yet.

As South's have showed this year, a teams attitude is massive. Self belief, expectations.

Injuries arent our biggest issue.

How a couple of injuries are perceive could be!

We still have a good mix of old and new. I would hate to call this a rebuilding yeah.

If it is I hate to think how we go when we don't have our big 3 experience and direction on the field around.

I think the issue is injuries on top of a new roster. Injuries themselves are able to be mitigated, but when you throw in new players at key positions like five eight, hooker etc then it's a tough ask to see fluency.

Many others posted on here pre season that we wouldn't be getting results until mid way through the season and I think that analysis was very savvy. Time will tell if it ends up being right, but I think towards the back end we will see some quality shine through.

It could have been worse if we re-signed Watmough.

A lot of it comes down to the players we have bought, some of whom are more susceptible to injuries, the fact that our older player have played for 10 years and their bodies are busted as well as our training.

Players like beaver an cliffy rarely got injured whereas snake has the body and knees which leaves him more prone to injuries. Bhurer is small and will always injure himself constantly taking on the bigger opposition forwards.

To me we don't seem to have enough strength in our players which leaves them more prone to being injured against bigger and stronger players

If you except mediocrity at a footy club you will always get mediocrity. We still have a good squad, and can still do big thing this year.

Even tonight without Snake and Matai out. Are we no hope because of those two injuries? Or are we potentially better? Snakes been terribly quiet, Lewis Brown has struggle to even find a place in our squad and has done nothing of note in our colours yet.

As South's have showed this year, a teams attitude is massive. Self belief, expectations.

Injuries arent our biggest issue.

How a couple of injuries are perceive could be!

We still have a good mix of old and new. I would hate to call this a rebuilding yeah.

If it is I hate to think how we go when we don't have our big 3 experience and direction on the field around.

Unfortunately if you don't like it - maybe best support another team, because its simply time for a rebuild - Lyon, Snake & Matai unfortunately can't last forever - after already losing Foran.

Your problem will remain the same as if you support Nth Qld & Thurston , Morgan & Scott are out - you will again be expecting the fill in players to live up to those lofty standards....& they won't.
Maybe then try Brisbane with no Hunt, Milford, Thaiday....again a likely fail....OR, perhaps support Manly & accept the team will be stronger as they gel more & the 2 million plus spent on players sidelined are on the field.....
As for tonight or any other game - I expect Manly to perform with pride regardless of results, but to let you know I am on a Manly win with Parcell to score a try at 25/1 for $50....so far from given up....just realise we have been unlucky with players out & are still learning combinations...not prepared to hit the panic buttons like some on here, as still think this side will be in the show when it counts.

What a poor excuse for a supporter - Cheer when you win - bag when you lose - pretty shallow imo....

The initial post is based on fact - you seriously don't think its a tough ask to have key players missing on top of so many new faces, trying to adjust to new structures.

Thread for excuses - its reality relating to the effect of injuries like....
Stewart
DCE
Jake
Taufua
Matai
Buhrer
Parcel
Api
Turbo
Take Nth Qld - they lose Thurston, Morgan, Tamouolou, Scott & some outside backs & lose as many as they win....doubt they would be .500 on win/loss ratios....probably .200 - but not all can understand this so keep bagging trainers, coaches & the ball boys - just keep making nonsense as people will expect less from you before laughing at your posts.

Do you actually understand after such a dominant 10 year period there is a rebuilding period- in process atm, this is minus injuries & aging bodies, about as good as could be??

I'll ignore the snide personal childish crap you wrote, and attempt to discuss the point you were trying to make - hopefully this steers the debate in a more mature, adult fashion:-

I completely disagree we are in a rebuild, and I disagree the club feels that way either. You don't bring in a veteran like Myles for a rebuild. You don't go out and acquire marquee talent like Walker / Taupau (in number) in a rebuild. You don't like juniors and youth go in a rebuild (Gutherson / Hiku).

A rebuild is bringing along your juniors. Developing the players that are there. Bringing in maybe one veteran. The PERFECT rebuild for mine was under Des Hasler for example. One year it was Kennedy. Another Kite. Another Orford. Another Bell. That's building.

Penn / Kelly / Barrett want us in the finals, and fighting it out for a premiership, and I am surprised anyone would think otherwise. For that reason, we SHOULD be disappointed by the performances and present culture. Where has the fortress gone? Where has the ruthless machine like mentality gone? Do you remember the way the club and media were talking it up pre-season?

Not sure why @double hoops would have to support another team if he doesn't think and support the team like you though? Pretty unfair. And you called me shallow in your post @maxta .

I'm a firm believer in giving credit where it's due. I'm a massive advocate of some players. I'm a hard critic of others. That's the nature of fans at every club. Unsure why you feel the need to tell everyone who doesn't see things your way to go support someone else?

I'll ignore the snide personal childish crap you wrote, and attempt to discuss the point you were trying to make - hopefully this steers the debate in a more mature, adult fashion:-

I completely disagree we are in a rebuild, and I disagree the club feels that way either. You don't bring in a veteran like Myles for a rebuild. You don't go out and acquire marquee talent like Walker / Taupau (in number) in a rebuild. You don't like juniors and youth go in a rebuild (Gutherson / Hiku).

A rebuild is bringing along your juniors. Developing the players that are there. Bringing in maybe one veteran. The PERFECT rebuild for mine was under Des Hasler for example. One year it was Kennedy. Another Kite. Another Orford. Another Bell. That's building.

Penn / Kelly / Barrett want us in the finals, and fighting it out for a premiership, and I am surprised anyone would think otherwise. For that reason, we SHOULD be disappointed by the performances and present culture. Where has the fortress gone? Where has the ruthless machine like mentality gone? Do you remember the way the club and media were talking it up pre-season?

Not sure why @double hoops would have to support another team if he doesn't think and support the team like you though? Pretty unfair. And you called me shallow in your post @maxta .

I'm a firm believer in giving credit where it's due. I'm a massive advocate of some players. I'm a hard critic of others. That's the nature of fans at every club. Unsure why you feel the need to tell everyone who doesn't see things your way to go support someone else?

Firstly your like a reactive brat so it's doubtful you would know how to have an adult discussion....have seen your past form, including abusive childish antics after giving out false, misleading information...something you have held a grudge on since I called you out on it with Liam Knight a done deal at Roosters- which I knew was crap.
The point to double hoops was simply stating my opinion - support the team in good & tough times....not a fan of people turning on the team as soon as times get tough....that's what other supports do- very rarely a trait of a fellow Sea eagles....though in fairness if you read on....more pointed out AGAIN, any team missing key players will struggle...pure fact.
The rebuild call is obvious to myself & anyone else who realise after losing Ballin & Foran just this season....
With Lyon , Stewart & Matai all hot on their heels....the nucleus of the team & key players are in their twilight make "rebuilding" a fairly obvious call.

Injuries, rookie coach, 5 day turnarounds, biased officiating, players in positions they are not well-versed in, numerous newbies, numerous has-beens or no-beens (perhaps not a word/term used in the English vocab, but I am sure my intelligent Silvertail friends understand the sentiment).
Culture, attitude and focus lacking in terms of where it needs to be for a professional sports team and other things I cant think of the moment.

Yes plenty of reasons we are not performing, ultimately as a team we have not clicked, we have improved in parts but have been far too inconsistent.

I am not sure if we have the right mix of players and the right coach, but I will hold off from formal judgement until at least another ten rounds goes by. :sweating:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7