Betting Story / Scandal

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
In addition to the terminations and suspensions listed above, first and final warnings have been issued to 12 registered NRL players, staff and officials who placed small, isolated bets on rugby league matches. They either had no connection to the matches or were unaware they were prohibited from betting on those particular matches.

http://www.nrl.com/nrl-statement-on-betting-on-rugby-league/tabid/10874/newsid/80135/default.aspx

This sentence presumably covers the Bulldogs players who were involved.

I think he needs to be sacked personally; the club needs to wash their hands clean of anything pertaining to gambling on matches involving our side...as much as there is no evidence suggesting match fixing, people will always have their doubts, especially given how opposition supporters will take any opportunity to bash Manly.

Statement from our Club
The Manly Warringah Sea Eagles have today acknowledged the decision by the NRL to stand down player David Williams for the remainder of the 2014 NRL season.

Williams was found to have breached of the NRL Player’s Code of Conduct in relation to betting on rugby league matches.

The Club will be making no further comment and ask that all respect the player’s welfare regarding the matter.

Snake said:
I think he needs to be sacked personally; the club needs to wash their hands clean of anything pertaining to gambling on matches involving our side...as much as there is no evidence suggesting match fixing, people will always have their doubts, especially given how opposition supporters will take any opportunity to bash Manly.

I doubt the club can just rip up his contract for next year. I guess they may suggest to him that it would be good for him to leave of his own accord.

Very stupid of him, he knows he's not allowed to do it so why put yourself at risk?? If he really felt the urge to bet on matches why wouldn't he just get someone to put the bets on for him.

Gee big statement from the club...They should of nailed him I think...not a one off...multiple offences and betting on own team...The problem is that they say people only betting on their own team, but is that cause they have colluded with someone from another team to toss it.

Its very meesy

Guessing he didn't bet on us in last year's GF.

Serious question:
Do we have to pay him for the rest of the year?

Frogz said:
Gee big statement from the club...They should of nailed him I think...not a one off...multiple offences and betting on own team...The problem is that they say people only betting on their own team, but is that cause they have colluded with someone from another team to toss it.

Its very meesy

He's whacked Manly in a multi, they've won 70-75% of their games over the past couple of years. I'd be concerned if he backed against us in the games they lost.

As much as we all 'love' the Wolfman there is no excuse for his stupidity.
In all seriousness he should retire and pursue a career in the media, or in acting, as he is immensely likable and has talent.
When he retires I reckon he could become the 'face' of Centrebet.

Pepi said:
Silly mistake but feel sorry for the wolfman. Must be going through a hard time after last years GF.
Hope he pulls through.

Frogz said:

Its very meesy

I think the reference to the player's welfare in the statement is telling. He has done an incredibly stupid thing and embarrassed himself and our club, but he is a human being who has been through a very tough time over the past 12 months. He has also done a lot for our club in his time with us, constantly putting his body on the line, and it wouldn't be right in my view for the club to cut him loose at this time.

So the NRL accepts sponsorship money from many gambling agencies. They advertise during our games and the Footy show. Continually posting updated odds.

And they find 5 blokes out of over 500 players have had a bet. Surprise Surprise.

The NRL is a shambles.

And what sort of punishment is a season suspension, that's Manly loaded because we all know they play more matches than any other team in the NRL.

Daft Wolfie Bloody Daft.

This has led to a potential 13 game suspension. I heard the club say earlier that this is a minor matter, well the rules are clear.

Manly need to be firm here. Wolfie is chewing up salary cap that can be used to retain or sign players. We cant afford to have a player suspended for this period.

Fairly stupid from Wolfie... The players know the rules with regards to betting on NRL games.... Apparently he never bet against Manly so obviously no match fixing involved (or one would hope, but I think not).

It's breathtaking hypocrisy from the NRL however. Taking the high ground on players having a perfectly legal punt with one hand, whilst the other is groping around in the coffers of TAB or SportsBet and shoveling coin into their (the NRL's) pockets...

Players can't bet on footy matches for fairly obvious reasons given the Ryan Tandy incident.... Yet before, during and after a game we as fans are force fed "the odds" by some smug muppet that makes a living off the stupid mistakes of others... Frikken ghouls!!

I bet (pun intended) that if this involved big name Doggies/Broncos/Roo$ters/Storm players it's never see the light of day. Ffs :(

/rant

sheridanstand78 said:
Manly need to be firm here. Wolfie is chewing up salary cap that can be used to retain or sign players. We cant afford to have a player suspended for this period.
The registration of a Contract is for the Season. The Cap for Manly would not be freed up even if they fired him today.

KOMORI said:
The players know the rules with regards to betting on NRL games....

Apparently not all of them do according to the NRL's own statement, and that was apparently a sufficient reason to let them off with a warning rather than a suspension and spare them and their clubs from embarrassment that Manly and Wolfie have been subjected to....

In addition to the terminations and suspensions listed above, first and final warnings have been issued to 12 registered NRL players, staff and officials who placed small, isolated bets on rugby league matches. They either had no connection to the matches or were unaware they were prohibited from betting on those particular matches.

http://www.nrl.com/nrl-statement-on-betting-on-rugby-league/tabid/10874/newsid/80135/default.aspx

Sorry for quoting that again, but I'm dumbfounded by that part of their statement.

He must not be very successful, i am long barred from Sporting Bet. Just back at Bet365 using a friends name though.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8