Best Manly Back Row

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

What is you favourite Manly back row combo off all time?

• Reilly/Lowe/Randall

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • Vautin/Boyd/McCabe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vautin/Cleal/Gibbs

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Kosef/Menzies/Gartner

Votes: 32 32.7%
  • Stewart/Watmough/Menzies

Votes: 44 44.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Think that Mal [ Reilly ] may have been experiencing some injury issues after 73 and Lowe took a while to adjust to the harder demands of playing in the Australian comp when he arrived in 74 . But all at their best together and there would have been a brief time , that back row of Reilly ,Phil Lowe and Randall , very good without a doubt and have fond memories of that back row of Martin , Norton and Lowe in that great G F win in 76 against the Eels . Got the impression that it suited Manly at the time to move Fulton to centre from the 6 role [ where he pretty much stayed for the rest of his career , apart from test footy ] and not so much to cater for Ian Martin but he did real good there before he then moved to lock to allow Alan Thompson to be the 6

A top tough as nails five eighth was Ian Martin. Would have made a fine lock but I see him as 5/8. He actually pushed Fulton to centre, such was his worth.
Cliffy is a legend to me but Ian Martin was definitely a fav for me growing up. I mean - that neat haircut for one thing!! AND he could play footy!!

Not sure Lowe and Reilly were at manly at the same time. Edit: yes 1975

Underrated in the unstoppable 1983 team was Ian Schubert, fatty and McCabe. Boyd was suspended and injured most of the year. Won the minor premiership by a mile. Such a pity about the grand final.

Stewart watmough menzies the best I reckon.
I think I'm with you on Stewart/Watmough and Menzies but Kosef Menzies and Gartner - that's a great backrow. But all listed are very very good. But how scary would Reily Boyd and Randall have been to play against??!!

e82df9e037dc1d90649d238ad6fcc3bc0b5a405d

No topping this back row!

e82df9e037dc1d90649d238ad6fcc3bc0b5a405d

No topping this back row!
The back wall of fame from left to right

Max Krillich Premiership winning captain
Terry Randall Four time premiership winning Enforcer
Allan Thompson two time premiership winner
The Godfather who turned our club into a dominating premiership winning force
The Incomparable Immortal and the most successful wining Sea eagle of all

God bless all the Manly premiership winners that contributed to our great success

and turned Manly into the greatest club of all

2nd best IS NOT a Manly thing !
240948987_10226342376526581_7626396401424013754_n.jpg

1973 gf winners. Reilly was injured early. The back row for more than 70 mins was zorba, bucknall and Randall. Zorba bustling and relentless, the king of niggle. Bucknall played hard, very tough. Played a full game of reserve grade prior (won both).

Yeah its a no brainer. Not even close.. (well its a little bit close)

Next they will be asking us to decide between Smith/Laberchange or Bradman/McCabe.
Well you’ll know which one I’ll choose.

My Dad was an avid cricket fan , used to travel to Sydney for the test matches with his best mate , he was lucky to see Bradman play in two Sydney tests and this was his description.

“ not a big hitter of the ball but played with the opposition field . He’d hit it through point so they’d move a fielder there , then he’d attack cover , they’d move a fielder there , then he’d attack square leg “.

Apparently ( so my father said ) he just stroked the ball to wherever there was a gap and not uncommon for him to rack up a double century in two and half sessions.

And Stan McCabe wasn’t too much different.

I took my Dad to the centenary test in Melbourne , and bugger me if we don’t travel out to the MCG on the tram and Dad spies this old guy sitting opposite us who was Lindsay Hassett. They ended up chatting for about 10 minutes on the train and half an hour outside the stadium.

One of the invincibles along with Bradman & McCabe.

Very hard choice here but I went with Beaver/Gartner/Kosef, take out the influence of Cliffy and Gartner was equally as good as Beaver.

Very hard choice here but I went with Beaver/Gartner/Kosef, take out the influence of Cliffy and Gartner was equally as good as Beaver.

They were as a trio very talented, each with his own special abilities. I did enjoy the three of them in action. Unfortunately Kosef's tenure was not that long, a little in the style of Reilly, and ended up suffering similar injuries that ended their careers

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10