Best Manly Back Row

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

What is you favourite Manly back row combo off all time?

• Reilly/Lowe/Randall

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • Vautin/Boyd/McCabe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vautin/Cleal/Gibbs

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Kosef/Menzies/Gartner

Votes: 32 32.7%
  • Stewart/Watmough/Menzies

Votes: 44 44.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mosto

I have a well known member
Premium Member
During a few beers with a couple of mates recently we were remembering players form the past and got around to specific combinations, ie centres, halves etc. Eventually we got around a group rarely discussed as a combination these days, the back row. What is your favourite back row combo for the Eagles? Some great options here but I'll go with Stewart/Watmough/Menzies but not by much.

I'll choose Stewart/Watmough/Menzies too, by the barest of margins. Although Menzies was often only a super-sub by the time the other two were really hitting their prime.
Similar to option 1, pretty sure Reilly's knee was bad by the time Lowe came on board.
Kosef/Menzies/Gartner would almost be my pick, but when they won the comp didn't Kosef play at 5/8?

I'll choose Stewart/Watmough/Menzies too, by the barest of margins. Although Menzies was often only a super-sub by the time the other two were really hitting their prime.
Similar to option 1, pretty sure Reilly's knee was bad by the time Lowe came on board.
Kosef/Menzies/Gartner would almost be my pick, but when they won the comp didn't Kosef play at 5/8?
yep, with Gift/Whatmough/Menzies, what a combo, toughness skill and guile...

Bit before my time but Bill Bradstreet , John Morgan - Mick Vivers , Ken Day all rep players in some capacity , part of a good Manly pack back in the day

Not sure Lowe and Reilly were at manly at the same time. Edit: yes 1975

Underrated in the unstoppable 1983 team was Ian Schubert, fatty and McCabe. Boyd was suspended and injured most of the year. Won the minor premiership by a mile. Such a pity about the grand final.

Stewart watmough menzies the best I reckon.

Last edited:
Maxta
Like to hear more stories of the beer sessions when this was brought up
Wasn’t at fitzy’s by any chance
We nick named that pub liars because of the tales we told in the eastern well days

Any way
How hard is it to pick the best
Gifty and choc are mates and read this forum so I have to give them a Rap but agree beaver may be in the era before

Certainly beaver must make a trio some where
Kosef Gartner maybe

But Reilly Lowe and Randal were so dominant in such a tough era

Not saying choc and Gifty would not have survived this era but in fact probably revelled in it

Just imagine Lowe and Crusher together

Sheet

Forgot BK

Add him too

Surprised Ian Martin isn’t mentioned anywhere.

He locked the scrum in the 1976 decider with Norton and Lowe in front of him. Then he backed up as lock in 1978, with Randall and Walker in front of him.

But of course many correspondents ‘never saw them play’, so that automatically rules them out.;)

Surprised Ian Martin isn’t mentioned anywhere.

He locked the scrum in the 1976 decider with Norton and Lowe in front of him. Then he backed up as lock in 1978, with Randall and Walker in front of him.

But of course many correspondents ‘never saw them play’, so that automatically rules them out.;)

A top tough as nails five eighth was Ian Martin. Would have made a fine lock but I see him as 5/8. He actually pushed Fulton to centre, such was his worth.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8