Bell's in mix for Maroons

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
This from today's Manly Daily. He is going to have to pull out a huge one to have even a remote chance of grabbing a spot.

Jason Avedissian
9 May 2008

Manly centre Steven Bell is still a big chance for the Maroons' Origin side according to Queensland legend Chris `Choppy' Close.

QUEENSLAND Origin stalwart Chris Close has demanded selectors pick Steven Bell in the Maroons' team next week despite a number of much younger players putting the heat on the experienced Manly centre.

The Rockhampton-based Close told The Manly Daily yesterday Bell's current form and past efforts for the Maroons should ensure his place in the Queensland side. Bell is under pressure from Melbourne twin sensations Israel Folau and Greg Inglis, Brisbane's Justin Hodges and the Warriors Brent Tate for a spot in the Queensland backline.

"Realistically, Bell has done the job every time he's played Origin," Close, an ex-Manly, Queensland and Australian centre, said yesterday.

"If he's in the best form of his capabilities, then the selectors need to look at that very seriously.

"I hope he gets picked.

"He deserves to be in the side.

"There may be players who are more polished offensively, but his defence is spot on. In Origin, you have to make sure there's no gaps.

"It would be disappointing if Steven is not picked."

Bell, who is believed to be negotiating a contract with French club Catalans, made his Origin debut in 2006.

The 31-year-old this week admitted he will face stiff opposition to secure his sixth Maroon cap when the Blues host their arch rivals at ANZ Stadium at Homebush on May 21. "There is obviously some hot competition in the Queensland backs at the moment, so it isn't going to be easy to get a spot there," Bell said.

"It is going to be hard not to pick a guy like Folau, but I just have to keep putting my best foot forward and we'll see what happens."

Which means the Emerald Tigers junior must perform against the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium on Sunday.

"Games like this one against the Broncos are a good opportunity to put my hand up and remind people what I'm capable of," Bell said.

Queensland chairman of selectors Des Morris said Bell is "definitely in the mix".

"He has done the job for us very well the past two years, so he is far from out of the picture," Morris said.

Is his best foot forward his left one ? after yet another right foot step.

Barring injury I'll be surprised if he gets picked on current form, but from a NSW point of view I'd be happy if he did.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6