Being fair dinkum ...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We need to keep things in perspective when comparing team lists. Firstly I consider that we under performed in 2017 with the roster that we had and I do not see bowing out in the first weekend of the semi finals the way that we did as a great achievement. There are many many variables that make this exercise somewhat futile such as form, injuries, personal off field issues, relationships within the playing group, coaching, fitness, management and the list goes on. I felt we played okay in 2017 in patches but the wheels fell off at times and sadly when it counted the most. We did not come close to achieving the traditional Manly defensive foundation that existed in our previous years of success. The 2018 season was a train wreck on a number of fronts and totally unacceptable. The current roster looks much stronger primarily due to the good form of the players and the team performances are more consistent and superior to what they were the last 3 years. But we are only half way through the season.The first half of the season has been really good in view of the absences of DCE & Turbo due to injury. However IMO what will define this season is what happens from this point onwards. The emergence of Cust and the continuing improvident of Fainu sees us with a very formidable spine. I was so desperate after the last few years of mediocrity that I hoped we could climb up off the bottom of the table and maybe finish near the 8. Now with the real Manly DNA back (Thanks to Des & Co) I want more! Fit and well and in good form this side has enough talent and fortitude to finish in the top 4. I doubt Des is aiming at anything less.

My point is, the reason why our roster looks better now is because Des is making the likes of Garrick and co. look like great players because he is getting the best out of them. If he coached the 2017 side, we’d be talking about how impressive Jarrad Kennedy is and what a new lease of life Manly has been for him.

Must admit I googled Jarrad Kennedy.... and still couldn't really place him. I wish him all the best though.

edit: That wasn't really supposed to be funny... :(...!

Des said in last weeks presser (I Think) that we weren't yet in the class of Easts, Souffs and the filthy purple scum, but he thought that we might be close to them by the end of the year. If that's Des's expectation from this playing group for this year then I won't argue with him.

Who was the coach?

Don't know .. it wasn't at Manly .. I think from memory it was Easts .... saw his highlight reel on here ... do a search for him and you might finfd it

Edit ... No it was Raiders ...

Last edited:
We need to keep things in perspective when comparing team lists. Firstly I consider that we under performed in 2017 with the roster that we had and I do not see bowing out in the first weekend of the semi finals the way that we did as a great achievement. There are many many variables that make this exercise somewhat futile such as form, injuries, personal off field issues, relationships within the playing group, coaching, fitness, management and the list goes on. I felt we played okay in 2017 in patches but the wheels fell off at times and sadly when it counted the most. We did not come close to achieving the traditional Manly defensive foundation that existed in our previous years of success. The 2018 season was a train wreck on a number of fronts and totally unacceptable. The current roster looks much stronger primarily due to the good form of the players and the team performances are more consistent and superior to what they were the last 3 years. But we are only half way through the season.The first half of the season has been really good in view of the absences of DCE & Turbo due to injury. However IMO what will define this season is what happens from this point onwards. The emergence of Cust and the continuing improvident of Fainu sees us with a very formidable spine. I was so desperate after the last few years of mediocrity that I hoped we could climb up off the bottom of the table and maybe finish near the 8. Now with the real Manly DNA back (Thanks to Des & Co) I want more! Fit and well and in good form this side has enough talent and fortitude to finish in the top 4. I doubt Des is aiming at anything less.

Whilst Des is no doubt a factor in our improved resilience this year ..... a contributing factor would also be ..

At the beginning of 2017 Tom was about 19 and had played about 30 FG games .... at the beginning of this year he is a 5 test. 4 SOO 78 game veteran ..

AFB had only 14 bench appearences at the start of '17 .. and at the beginning of this year is a 60 game, 4 test behemoth ...

Jake was a great player with 44 games ... but at the beginning of this year is an 80 game, 6 test, 7 SOO legend ....

Siro, Api, Parker,, Suli, are all older, wiser and tougher ...

Don't know .. it wasn't at Manly .. I think from memory it was Easts .... saw his highlight reel on here ... do a search for him and you might finfd it
He played for Mounties in nsw cup. Feeder team for Raiders. He played quite a few games for Raiders too. I posted his highlight reel here way back when we signed him. Always looked solid but another player who never kicked on under Barrett.

He played for Mounties in nsw cup. Feeder team for Raiders. He played quite a few games for Raiders too. I posted his highlight reel here way back when we signed him. Always looked solid but another player who never kicked on under Barrett.

Yeah. I was just editing my other post to Raiders ....

Whilst Des is no doubt a factor in our improved resilience this year ..... a contributing factor would also be ..

At the beginning of 2017 Tom was about 19 and had played about 30 FG games .... at the beginning of this year he is a 5 test. 4 SOO 78 game veteran ..

AFB had only 14 bench appearences at the start of '17 .. and at the beginning of this year is a 60 game, 4 test behemoth ...

Jake was a great player with 44 games ... but at the beginning of this year is an 80 game, 6 test, 7 SOO legend ....

Taufua was younger, fast and fitter, ditto DCE.

Taupau was younger, Walker hadn't suffered a compound fracture that would affect his speed yet, Koroisau hadn't broken his foot yet, Matty Wright had played a lot more games than Ruben Garrick, Uate had scored over 100 tries, Lawrence had played in a GF, Lewis was an international...

You get the idea...you can spin it all both ways.

The fact of the matter is, our current roster looks better because they are playing better. They are playing better because Barrett is history and Des is a great coach. That's me being fair dinkum!

But you raise an interesting thread Woodsie!

Imagine if Tom hadn’t missed most of this season...

The fact of the matter is, our current roster looks better because they are playing better. They are playing better because Barrett is history and Des is a great coach. That's me being fair dinkum!

That point may have had a bit more validity if we hadn't fininished 6th in 2017 ...... something we are still yet to achieve this year .... although I think we will be there abouts .....

I just get a sense that the Storm, Rabbits, Rooster and Knights are at a different level to the rest of the comp. But I'm hoping.

Below is the side we trotted out in June 2017 ... a side that finished in 6th spot .. and had we not lost both Lussick and Lyon late .. were competing for the top 4 ....

My question is .. compared to our current squad ... how do you rate the two teams ... and given that comparison ... what would be a reasonable expectation for our finish ...

And to be clear, I have constantly stated I am a big fan of Dessie ... and an even bigger fan of Dessie and his coaching team .... this is not about Barrett and dessie .. but about the comparitive rosters ...

Sea Eagles:

1. Tom Trbojevic .... Tom
2. Matthew Wright ... Garrick
3. Dylan Walker ... Walker
4. Brian Kelly .. ... Suli
5. Akuila Uate ... ... Jorge
6. Blake Green ... ... Cust
7. Daly Cherry-Evans... ... DCE
8. Brenton Lawrence ... ... AFB
9. Apisai Koroisau... ... Api
10. Martin Taupau ... ... Marty
11. Frank Winterstein ... ... Siro
12. Lewis Brown .. ... Thommo
13. Jake Trbojevic .. ... Jake

14. Cameron Cullen .. ... Fainu
15. Lloyd Perrett ... ... Paseka
16. Darcy Lussick ... ... Boyle
17. Jarrad Kennedy ... Waddell

Tom is a much better player now than he was in 2017.
Garrick is an upgrade on Matt Wright. Defensively not quite as good, but much faster and a better goal kicker
Walker is no better or worse, just more experienced.
Suli had more of an upside than Kelly. Brian has his side step, Moses is a better runner and I think better defender.
Jorge and Aku are about the same, but Aku was faster.
Cust is only a 4 game rookie. Green a seasoned veteran.
DCE I think is a better player and leader now than he was 2 years ago.
As much as I liked BJ, the only thing he was better at than AFB was his pace.
Api is about the same, still can't pass from dummy half but he punches above his weight in defence.
Marty is in the best form of his career in 2019.
Siro and Thommo are a definite upgrade on Frank and Brown. That one isn't even a contest.
Jake is probably no better than he was 2 years ago, but he'd definitely grown up this year. The tantrums have become less frequent.

I'd have Fainu over Cullen any day.
Same with Paseka over Perrett.
If I had the choice of Boyle or Darcy, I'd go with Darcy because when his mind was focused there were actually few better.
Even though he's a rookie, I'd have Waddell over Kennedy who I thought was lucky to even play first grade.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7