Being fair dinkum ...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I don't mean to sound cynical, but the funny thing is that if Manly had played so far this year to the expectations most of the so-called experts predicted in the pre-season (i.e. we'd be fighting for the spoon).....we'd all be sitting here picking apart the squad with who needs to go, who we should keep etc. And not many would be happy, or anywhere near happy.

But we are performing well above those expectations and rather than fighting to stay off the bottom, we are planted in the top 8. And naturally, the fans (people like us) are happy about it.

Winning changes attitudes quite a bit doesn't it, with players and fans, just take a look at Origin. Last year it was the start of a glorious new Blue Dynasty, or so we were told. Fittler was a genius and a new crop of players was supposed to be leading NSW to glory to wipe away the pain of a bakers dozen years of Qld dominance. Now NSW are looking down the barrel of defeat just 12 months later and everyone is up in arms about the coach, players and selections. And if they don't win on Sunday, heads will probably roll at the end of the series.

I don't mean to sound cynical, but the funny thing is that if Manly had played so far this year to the expectations most of the so-called experts predicted in the pre-season (i.e. we'd be fighting for the spoon).....we'd all be sitting here picking apart the squad with who needs to go, who we should keep etc. And not many would be happy, or anywhere near happy.

But we are performing well above those expectations and rather than fighting to stay off the bottom, we are planted in the top 8. And naturally, the fans (people like us) are happy about it.

Winning changes attitudes quite a bit doesn't it, with players and fans, just take a look at Origin. Last year it was the start of a glorious new Blue Dynasty, or so we were told. Fittler was a genius and a new crop of players was supposed to be leading NSW to glory to wipe away the pain of a bakers dozen years of Qld dominance. Now NSW are looking down the barrel of defeat just 12 months later and everyone is up in arms about the coach, players and selections. And if they don't win on Sunday, heads will probably roll at the end of the series.
Under no circumstances does Fittler ever look or sound like a genius.

The Manly team look to me like they are enjoying the football and there appears to be a real team spirit among them. Des has created a very positive vibe.

Under no circumstances does Fittler ever look or sound like a genius.

The Manly team look to me like they are enjoying the football and there appears to be a real team spirit among them. Des has created a very positive vibe.

they do and they did in 2017 as well. Then the head shed started white anting things in the pre-season and it was all over after that.

My memory of 2017 is that we had one good patch of form around the middle of the comp, but then lost quite a few games towards the end. We revived our fortunes with a great win over the Panthers but by then had only just scraped into the 8 (where, as we all know, we lost!) I thought it was a season where we didn't achieve any particular consistent standard, but we definitely showed we had potential to improve. But we didn't improve! (until this year)

The comparative rosters of who exactly?

What are we comparing? It is pretty much the same core group of players...
I would argue that Des has a much better core of players than Barrett. Fitter, more skilled, more confident, and better team members. But then Des made them into the players they are. What Des has done with players like Parker really shows what a fraud Barrett was as a coach.

I would argue that Des has a much better core of players than Barrett. Fitter, more skilled, more confident, and better team members. But then Des made them into the players they are. What Des has done with players like Parker really shows what a fraud Barrett was as a coach.

Players like Paseka as well?

Gone from a bench prop showing heaps of potential in his first year as a 20 year old pig to almost unseen?

This Brad Parker issue is an amusing one .... there appears to be 2 camps .... those that always identified him as a player with skills and potential ... and those that dimissed him and disparaged him relenrlessly ...

Those in the later camp are now .... to soothe their egos and smother their lack of judgement .... are saying his improvement is all because of Dessie .... yes Dessie and his team are good .... but I doubt God like powers .....

Those in the former camp are saying he always had the talent and the biggest difference is he is no longer a 19yo tripping over his own big feet in his excitment .. but a 22yo .. 30+ game veteran playing in his natural position of centre ... and who has grown into his feet .....

Which is most probable ... all a or all b or a mixture of the two .....

This Brad Parker issue is an amusing one .... there appears to be 2 camps .... those that always identified him as a player with skills and potential ... and those that dimissed him and disparaged him relenrlessly ...

Those in the later camp are now .... to soothe their egos and smother their lack of judgement .... are saying his improvement is all because of Dessie .... yes Dessie and his team are good .... but I doubt God like powers .....

Those in the former camp are saying he always had the talent and the biggest difference is he is no longer a 19yo tripping over his own big feet in his excitment .. but a 22yo .. 30+ game veteran playing in his natural position of centre ... and who has grown into his feet .....

Which is most probable ... all a or all b or a mixture of the two .....
I think the big improvement with Parker is getting back to the centres....always seemed a bit out of place on the wing, but looks far more comfortable in the centres...
Happy to put my hand up as though may not have bashed him too hard on here, certainly out exceeded my expectations with what he has been able to do and thought he was 1 of Manly's better players before his injury....in fact, closed down the opposition with defence that has to be rated Top shelf.

To me, both TTurbo and Parker are confidence players, which was something in very short supply last year. And for them it's easy to make mistakes when your worried the team is just one F up away from the total collapse we saw many time last year. Parker in particular was still making quite a few mistakes early on this year but I think knowing that the team as a whole will back him up if something does happen has really fixed his nerves. Last year Tom had so much work to do at the back that he could hardly focus on his attack and, like Parker, I think the stress of it was getting to him which would lead to crucial mistakes. Obviously having Brett back to offer advice has done wonders as well.
I think the opposite of these guys is Walker who (when he did play) had a pretty good year last year. He seems to play better when our backs are against the wall or he wants to square up the mistake he just made and I don't think he has really benefited from Des' coaching style (but early days still).
Under Des it's clear that everyone knows what their job is and more importantly; how critical that job is for the team to function.

Players like Paseka as well?

Gone from a bench prop showing heaps of potential in his first year as a 20 year old pig to almost unseen?

Paseka’s drop off followed a poor game last year when Barrett elevated him to the starting line up. He was hooked and didn’t come back on and then hardly saw any minutes for the remaining games. He definitely fell out of favour with TB for some reason. I believe he was then injured in the off season and has been working his way back.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6