Beaver still going strong

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Tipping Member
Just watched Catalans vs HKR. Beaver just saved the match for the Dragons with 2 great pieces of play, a charge down and a tackle to jar the ball lose. He's still playing strong wouldn't it have been great to have him still playing for us and breaking all records. Anyone know a list of all time most games of 1st grade rugby league played Beaver would have to be the record holder I would think.

I just watched it as well- as great as it was to see the Beaver I must admit to having feelings of deja vu watching bloody Scott Dureau pop over the winning field goal.

he's still playing better than most players in the NRL.

I was watching a Catalans game the other oter day and recalled when Beaver used to visit us in 4th grade as his mum taught us at Brooky Public. He was 14 at the time.

Wouldn't have known that he'd still be playing professionally nearly 25 years later!

Brookvale said:
he's still playing better than most players in the NRL.

I was watching a Catalans game the other oter day and recalled when Beaver used to visit us in 4th grade as his mum taught us at Brooky Public. He was 14 at the time.

Wouldn't have known that he'd still be playing professionally nearly 25 years later!

Better, and more loyal than most of the nuff nuff's we've had "exploring their options".

We should never have let him go. He should've played on till he wanted to retire. Would've held the most games record and maybe the top try scorer record as well. Certainly deserved to have another premiership to his CV.

ando said:
Menzies is a club legend

The measure of the man is that when you think about how much our club is despised by other teams supporters (due to our success, I might ad), that almost to a person they all have respect for Beaver.

That being said there are a few issues surrounding him which don't sit well with me. The first is how he isn't recognised by the game as a one club player, I think this is something the club and us supporters can fix but it involves a delicate issue and that's us embracing the Northern Eagles as part of our history instead of disowning it.

The second and unfortunately we can't change this, is that Beaver wasn't afforded the priviledge of being named in the games 100 greatest players in its centenary. He was in the initial 130 but didn't make the cut. What I have problems coming to terms with is that Frank Burge made the greatest ever team. I'm not denying Franks right at making the team, but I can't understand the gap between himself and Beaver. As no one was was alive to see Frank play, all we have is the record books and historical notes and what we know is that he was an outstanding try scoring forward. Beaver broke his records and coupled with his other achievements how he can be ranked so far behind someone know one else saw play has me staggered. Unfortunately I'm probably not going to be alive to celebrate the 200th anniversary but one thing I will be doing is tell my kids and grandkids about the great man and I emplore you all to do the same so we can right this injustice in games history books.

Wish we could bring him back for 2 games, just to overtake Terry Lamb who has recently been credited with 350 first grade games.

Masked Eagle said:
Volley said:
Wish we could bring him back for 2 games, just to overtake Terry Lamb who has recently been credited with 350 first grade games.

WHAT? When did that happen????

About 6 weeks - 2 months ago from memory

Might be better to have him come back for 7 more games so that he can break Lockyer's record.

mickqld said:
Just watched Catalans vs HKR. Beaver just saved the match for the Dragons with 2 great pieces of play, a charge down and a tackle to jar the ball lose. He's still playing strong wouldn't it have been great to have him still playing for us and breaking all records. Anyone know a list of all time most games of 1st grade rugby league played Beaver would have to be the record holder I would think.

Unfortunately Beaver doesn't even come close. There were some blokes back around the 50s and 60s that played massive numbers of games in England as well as 100+ games here. I think the record stands close to 700 games IIRC.

Regardless, Beaver will be remembered and revered by every Manly supporter (and many opposition supporters) that were fortunate enough to have watched his distinguished career. He may not have been a Bob Fulton, Andrew Johns or Wally Lewis but he was a fantastic player for such a long time and probably the most loyal person to ever play the game. The dirty dog should have never let him go.

Brian Bevan played over 700 game and scored something like 800 career tries.

Chip and Chase said:

This is how much of a freak Bevan was if you go to Warrington's home ground there is a statue of him outside there home ground.

Could you imagine the possibility of beaver running out onto brookie for his 450th game this year if we never let him go. No one would have caught him!

eagles2win said:
Chip and Chase said:

This is how much of a freak Bevan was if you go to Warrington's home ground there is a statue of him outside there home ground.
Good idea a statue of Steve at Brookie would be the go the Raiders have one of Daley & Suncorp have Wally & Locky and don't Parra have one of Price.

Menzies is not a legend....

Menzies is "the" LEGEND.

A Manly immortal forever, and I only wish they would bring him back to beat that damn record.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4