Barrett had one game plan

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I don't think it's Barrett's fault !! He has a halfback who can't even control the game and never runs to the line !! DCE is our main problem and I feel the only way he will be good again is if he gets dropped

Wright missed opportunities to put his outside backs away

That time in the first half when he had Jorge unmarked on his outside and instead of passing to him he just took a hit up and was tackled about 20 metres out was a missed opportunity. Sure Jorge wasn't going to go the length himself because he's no Addo-Carr like speedster, but he could have at least made it to around halfway, maybe more, before they rounded him up.

Hadlee, Fatty and Gus in the Nein commentary box were blowing up about it because Jorge was unmarked and Wright only dummied to him. And I was blowing up at my telly.

Tom and even Snake would have passed it, then followed in support. Instead we were forced to work it out of our own 20.

I know there were strong south westerly winds but what was the story with those 5th tackle kicks that continually landed miles infield from the cows goal line, and as if that wasn’t bad enough hardly any of our players tried to contest the ball. It was like everyone was waiting for someone else to do the hard yards. I kept wondering if the flu had gone through the club during week because I was looking for reasons for lack of effort.

What I saw was a team with no idea what to do in the oppositions 20.
We had 20 points worth of opportunities.
I've said on other threads that the riff , tiges have about an equal roster to us but are playing better, more understandable footy.
I think Trent is lacking as a motivator.
Shouldn't have to be in professional sport but that's the way it is.
And tonight, they were ripe for the picking.
We failed.

Last edited:
It’s now obvious that Trent only has one game plan. We virtually did nothing with the ball the entire game. Every set was about trying to bust them up the middle. Usually we go up the middle, and then spread the ball on tackle three or four. I understand his thinking tonight because the Cows were missing five starting forwards. But when it became clear it wasn’t working, instead of trying to use the ball we just persisted, even when we were chasing points. Matt Wright’s passing whenever we had space was absolutely appalling, and it shows that Tom Wright needs to be given a shot. The worst part of all this, is that we actually had some good performances amongst all the rabble. But DCE wasn’t even first grade standard and Matt Wright killed any attack we might have had when used in a backline play, aaaaaaand our kicking performance was the worst I’ve seen from a first grade side in a long time.

You fotgot the mid field bomb. We did about 8 with all ending in great field position for the cows. Even with the cows in the lead, time running out and manly desperate for points or the ball, up goes another gifting them with posession near halfway with virtually no contest

Walkz would draw more defenders then Hodko does playing at 6
I'm starting to believe that because when you look at our tries since the start of 2016, most come from individual brilliance, usually from either Tommy, Walks or (other than tonight) DCE - and all 3 were missing tonight even though someone fitting Cherry's general description was out there in the #7 jumper. Actual plays seem to be nothing more than one of the halves doing a hand-off to a forward for a nothing hit up.
Interesting you should bring up 2016 ,because that was the year everyone was blaming Walkz (5/8) for all of the teams losses and misfortunes .
At that time DC was beyond reproach, after all he was getting paid $1.3 mil a year and the fittest player in the team.
But today everyone is beginning to relize that his pay packet and supreme fitness is no substitute for skills and tactics.
Is this what the Queensland selectors can see ?, I think so.
Back then Walkz was conveniently made the scapegoat copping all the blame.
He copped a lot of crap for DC issues and even made him look good when They moved him back to centre.
It's clear to me what our current predicament is, ironically it's our halves combo, they wouldn't or couldn't scare anyone.
Hodko should have iced last weeks game ,missed vital kicks, his slow lateral movement will create problems for our defence.way to slow.
Reads the game better then DC so better option off the bench.
DCe : looks awkward when he thinks to much ,relieve him of captain duties, more trust in players around him and just run not try and run the team.

You fotgot the mid field bomb. We did about 8 with all ending in great field position for the cows. Even with the cows in the lead, time running out and manly desperate for points or the ball, up goes another gifting them with posession near halfway with virtually no contest
Apart from this poor "Go to" option, the kicks were poorly placed and I do not recall 1....that's right, even 1 of these kicks contested.
Then on the flipside we have halves in attacking positions of the field grubber kicking for touch when we are behind by 4 and 10 points - confusion is an under statement.
All comes under poor game management, by 2 experienced halves.

It’s now obvious that Trent only has one game plan. We virtually did nothing with the ball the entire game. Every set was about trying to bust them up the middle. Usually we go up the middle, and then spread the ball on tackle three or four. I understand his thinking tonight because the Cows were missing five starting forwards. But when it became clear it wasn’t working, instead of trying to use the ball we just persisted, even when we were chasing points. Matt Wright’s passing whenever we had space was absolutely appalling, and it shows that Tom Wright needs to be given a shot. The worst part of all this, is that we actually had some good performances amongst all the rabble. But DCE wasn’t even first grade standard and Matt Wright killed any attack we might have had when used in a backline play, aaaaaaand our kicking performance was the worst I’ve seen from a first grade side in a long time.

With this year gone, we should be planning for next year and as such Tom Wright need to be given a go. In addition to this, is there any talk about signing any players next year. I know all this talk about Salary cap issue, we are set to off load some players (namely Uate, Myles and maybe a few others) so we should be spending money on a 5/8 for 2020 and beyond . I am so disappointed with the lack of effort last night. It was absolutely Pathetic.

Last edited by a moderator:
With this year gone, we should be planning for next year and as such Tom Wright need to be given a go. In addition to this, is there any talk about signing any players next year. I know all this talk about Salary cap issue, we are set to off load some players (namely Uate, Myles and maybe a few others) so we should be spending money on a 5/8 for 2020 and beyond . I am so disappointed with the lack of effort last night. It was absolutely Pathetic.
@NZEaglesFan
The greatest Kiwi of all !!!
Steve+Matai+NRL+Rd+16+Dragons+v+Sea+Eagles+kqiOxeyGC__l.jpg

Our forwards just didn't put in.

But DCE's regression the last couple of weeks really concerns me.

I actually think DCE looked at his best when forced to be an organising half when Walker was at 6.

Hogkinson looks fine.

So I can't explain why DCE looks so bad, when he is just playing a running half on the right? You would think DCE is the new half not Hodgko.

Problems aplenty
I can’t agree that Hodkinson was fine - I liked his signing, but he was very poor last night. Both halves were very poor.

I'm starting to believe that because when you look at our tries since the start of 2016, most come from individual brilliance, usually from either Tommy, Walks or (other than tonight) DCE - and all 3 were missing tonight even though someone fitting Cherry's general description was out there in the #7 jumper. Actual plays seem to be nothing more than one of the halves doing a hand-off to a forward for a nothing hit up.
Agreed... I've said it before but how often do u hear commentators say 'Beautifully constructed Manly try???' or, 'What a lovely set play????' NEVER. We are not a cohesive team in attack at all. The games we have played well is when we have had Tommy and a few others pushing up the middle for offloads. But we have played that style about 25% of the time this season then inexplicably we go away from that for a few games. There is just no consistency, no progression. We are not building as a team. I'm ok with us losing if we dont have the cattle/experience but fmd lets look like we at least have a plan/strategy going into games.

Surely the problem with the Manly game plan is that they don't do enough of those inside balls. You know, where a half or 5/8 drifts across field and hands the ball off on the inside to a forward ambling back into the ruck area. I mean, they only tried it 157 times last night. If they could have just managed to do it a few more times I'm certain it would have been successful.

Surely the problem with the Manly game plan is that they don't do enough of those inside balls. You know, where a half or 5/8 drifts across field and hands the ball off on the inside to a forward ambling back into the ruck area. I mean, they only tried it 157 times last night. If they could have just managed to do it a few more times I'm certain it would have been successful.
The problem with the Manly game plan is there is no game plan...

DCE looked much better playing next to Walker tbh. I wouldn't be unhappy to see Dylan back in the halves and Hodko playing off the bench. Our problem appears to be that extra depth when making plays. Forwards don't get time to run on to the ball and the halves get caught with the ball too often. When Walker was 5/8, DCE was forced to take the ball further back which gave him a lot more time to ball play while Dylan had the pace to be able to run sideways and then straighten the attack without getting caught.

the cows team of last night was thrown together with a lot of inexperience in the mix missing seven key players yet they tore us to shreds because they have a coach with the ability to match players of this level. we have a lot of magnificent players with skill sets to match any but we don't have a coach with the attributes to match NRL standard players, our team looks un-coached i am sure the top players are realizing this.

Walkz would draw more defenders then Hodko does playing at 6

Interesting you should bring up 2016 ,because that was the year everyone was blaming Walkz (5/8) for all of the teams losses and misfortunes .
At that time DC was beyond reproach, after all he was getting paid $1.3 mil a year and the fittest player in the team.
But today everyone is beginning to relize that his pay packet and supreme fitness is no substitute for skills and tactics.
Is this what the Queensland selectors can see ?, I think so.
Back then Walkz was conveniently made the scapegoat copping all the blame.
He copped a lot of crap for DC issues and even made him look good when They moved him back to centre.
It's clear to me what our current predicament is, ironically it's our halves combo, they wouldn't or couldn't scare anyone.
Hodko should have iced last weeks game ,missed vital kicks, his slow lateral movement will create problems for our defence.way to slow.
Reads the game better then DC so better option off the bench.
DCe : looks awkward when he thinks to much ,relieve him of captain duties, more trust in players around him and just run not try and run the team.

I mainly brought up 2016 because that's when Barrett started as coach. But the points you make re: DCE are thought provoking and shouldn't be dismissed lightly. I think you're closer to the mark than some (myself included probably) realise.

And yes, I would honestly say that 2018 should be the last year DCE is the captain because it seems too much responsibility for him to be both the captain and "that guy". I've been against it in the past because I think a captain needs a cool head, but I am starting to lean towards Jake Trbojevic as Manly captain.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7