Assistant coach

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Firstly not an attack Des thread - personally excited he came back and in a nutshell, concerns since then that the mad scientist has been using the same formula since 2007, and not upgraded to the modern game...and of course some selection headspinners....but we been through all that...
Maybe he needs help....not the quack, but anouther experienced campaigner who has his back....
Paul Green has been spun about and what about Tooves....heres some outside the box - Greg Alexander or Cooper Cronk ??
I reckon theres a few out there, who Manly could benefit from, the help here could not make us any worse.
Des likes to walk to the beat of his own drum, but it's been very loud and out of time for a whil and personally feel it will be beneficial Manly, the fans ....and Des own health - what's the thoughts

Firstly not an attack Des thread - personally excited he came back and in a nutshell, concerns since then that the mad scientist has been using the same formula since 2007, and not upgraded to the modern game...and of course some selection headspinners....but we been through all that...
Maybe he needs help....not the quack, but anouther experienced campaigner who has his back....
Paul Green has been spun about and what about Tooves....heres some outside the box - Greg Alexander or Cooper Cronk ??
I reckon theres a few out there, who Manly could benefit from, the help here could not make us any worse.
Des likes to walk to the beat of his own drum, but it's been very loud and out of time for a whil and personally feel it will be beneficial Manly, the fans ....and Des own health - what's the thoughts
Alexander is on the board at Penrith and Cronk is on the payroll at the Roosters so cancel those two out.

Agree 1000% he needs a coaching assistant with recent winning experience who is not a 'YES MAN' who will challenge and question Des - but Des needs to be willing to listen and change his approach, otherwise its a futile exercise.
It's obvious to all he is out of touch and no new game plans since 2012-14. My view is that he needs an assistant with recent winning experience/exposure in coaching ranks and not surrounded by the Des old boys favorites who have zero coaching experience such as Monaghan, Snake, Randall. Hales achieved sweet FA as Workers coach and still baffles me how he ended up Des assistant - is he ever up in the box with Des? I saw Monas by his side last Thursday night.

We need consistency in the way we play so that in the event of injuries a guy can come in and do a job. We look so disorganised with and and without the ball at the moment. Basics 101 are the start!

Agree 1000% he needs a coaching assistant with recent winning experience who is not a 'YES MAN' who will challenge and question Des - but Des needs to be willing to listen and change his approach, otherwise its a futile exercise.
It's obvious to all he is out of touch and no new game plans since 2012-14. My view is that he needs an assistant with recent winning experience/exposure in coaching ranks and not surrounded by the Des old boys favorites who have zero coaching experience such as Monaghan, Snake, Randall. Hales achieved sweet FA as Workers coach and still baffles me how he ended up Des assistant - is he ever up in the box with Des? I saw Monas by his side last Thursday night.
I am sure there is more to Hales and he must have some great qualities... but the conspiracy theorist in me just wonders about his appointment and his connection to many of our young players coming through and if there is some correlation that the appointment was to keep the "gang" together and I use the term gang loosely. .

My only issue with Green is he hasn’t had success under the new rules either... we need someone who has contributed to the success of the top clubs over the last 12 months to provide a different perspective

Paul Green is the perfect candidate.He wont want the top job yet as he’s just taken the QLD Origin position so he wouldn’t be trying to undermine Des’ role.Premiership winning coach that the only whispers that came out of NQ was that he was too intense and hard with some players towards the end and that’s not the role of an assistant.Mind you,some players need a rocket put up them anyway.Flanagan on the other hand,apart from his history of bringing the game in to disrepute,is yearning for a head coaching role and could cause disharmony

Coaching now is as much a team endeavour as playing ... so the more and better asst's Dessie has around him the better ... but it would have to be people he respects and will listen to ...

Don't know if Gifty would make a good coach ... but apparently Dessie did used to listen to him ..

Alexander is on the board at Penrith and Cronk is on the payroll at the Roosters so cancel those two out.
Cronk is also on the payroll at Melbourne, so let's give him a 3rd club, not resigned to a single club in the modern day, Alexander at board level obviously different....just examples though....there may be a few good options Not in any capacity of other clubs, better than we offer atm.

Last edited:
Reality is we all screamed the house down when Baz resigned and wanted manly men only. We appointed Des and he has enlisted Monas & Randall as assistants, given Ballin the reserves and brought Snake in as a skills coach. Des has always been so hands on and his sides have always been so well prepared and now they look so poor it’s a long way back. The assistants all have their L plates on. If Des gets sacked no one is ready to step up.

It bamboozles me that Monas, Ballin and Randall as former dummy halves wouldn’t challenge Des re: not going into the season with a recognized 9.

Des no doubt had a plan to put the more stable defender in Crocker in at 9 in front of Cust. Had no plan whatsoever to attack from the ruck and simply have Crocker distribute the ball to Foran on the left and Cherry on the right, with Tom out the back. That was his plan for the year. Same as 2008 & 2011. Just replace the names but it was Snake, Ox and Lyon in 08 and Snake, Cherry and Foz in 11. Different game and a lot of rep players around them to pass the ball to.

He won two premierships with the non running, non creative tackle machine in Ballin. He punted Damian Cook from the dogs. He clearly doesn’t believe that 9 is an important part of the spine.

He hasn’t evolved in 10 years. The players aren’t playing for him and whilst the squad only has 10 of NRL standard within the 30, how are we going to attract players to the club playing such an outdated style. The new game is here.

Reality is we all screamed the house down when Baz resigned and wanted manly men only. We appointed Des and he has enlisted Monas & Randall as assistants, given Ballin the reserves and brought Snake in as a skills coach. Des has always been so hands on and his sides have always been so well prepared and now they look so poor it’s a long way back. The assistants all have their L plates on. If Des gets sacked no one is ready to step up.

It bamboozles me that Monas, Ballin and Randall as former dummy halves wouldn’t challenge Des re: not going into the season with a recognized 9.

Des no doubt had a plan to put the more stable defender in Crocker in at 9 in front of Cust. Had no plan whatsoever to attack from the ruck and simply have Crocker distribute the ball to Foran on the left and Cherry on the right, with Tom out the back. That was his plan for the year. Same as 2008 & 2011. Just replace the names but it was Snake, Ox and Lyon in 08 and Snake, Cherry and Foz in 11. Different game and a lot of rep players around them to pass the ball to.

He won two premierships with the non running, non creative tackle machine in Ballin. He punted Damian Cook from the dogs. He clearly doesn’t believe that 9 is an important part of the spine.

He hasn’t evolved in 10 years. The players aren’t playing for him and whilst the squad only has 10 of NRL standard within the 30, how are we going to attract players to the club playing such an outdated style. The new game is here.
I think the answer to that is they don’t say anything as he wouldn’t listen and they know it !!

And I personally can’t see how ANY assistant coach would really work either !!

My way or the highway springs to mind.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4