Arrogance

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
You know - I have been thinking about the Australian Test team, and what sets them apart from the rest of the players, and in my books, I think arrogance is a big part of it. I mean in a good way. For some reason, the players self belief is THAT high (and rightly so), they come accross as confident, successful players. Players that in my opinion are of the belief they are better than their opposition. Bigger, stronger, more skilled etc etc....

I think that is something Craig Bellamy does very well with his team. They are aggressive, dominant, and seem to have an air of arrogance about them.

I wonder if people perceive Manly's attitude in the same light? I thought BK had that attitude. That's for sure. I think SOME players have that spark. That attitude at Manly:-

Jamie Lyon
Travis Burns
Brent Kite
Steve Matai

to name the four I'm thinking of.

It HAS to be Des' job to instill confidence in the youngsters coming through. I don't think the "worker" mentality of players will win premierships. We don't want to be the good guys guys. The Bears were, and never won a premiership for it.

We have a squad, and have to work with it. I'd like to see a bit more aggression, expression, and arrogance from players like Luke Williamson, Michael Monaghan, George Rose. I have seen glimpses of that fire in the belly from King for example.

Our players need to go out each week, with a view that the opposition are out to make them look bad, which means the opposition are putting their jobs in jeapardy. We need to go out each week, thinking The Dragons, The Broncos and The Storm aren't as good as us. As individuals, and as a team.

DO this, and we will go a long way to winning a premiership in my opinion.

Attitide is part of it but in the end you have to be able to play football.

Question? What made Kite a better player this year than last year? What made Watmough significantly less a player this year?

If only I knew. Was it attitude, injury or what?

Most of those players are arrogant because they are the among the best players in their position. With Burns and Matai I would say its mostly aggression, not arrogance.

The Broncos are arrogant, Manly was 10 years ago, the Roosters were a few years ago, the Bulldogs pack is still arrogant, success breeds arrogance, it doesn't work in reverse IMO.

Mate - that's what I am saying. Afforgance / success go hand in hand. Des needs to find a way to instill this in his players regardless of previous years. If he can do this, then I think it goes a long way to improving the team as a whole.

No Ryan.........I believe the specific point Bob has put forward (and correct me at any time Bob if I am wrong) is that success does not come from arrogance. He clearly states arrogance can come from success, but not the other way around.

This is opposed to your proposition that arrogance and success go hand in hand, or that we need more arrogance which would enhance our teams chances.

I was down in Melbourne the other week at the Belgium Beer Cafe on a Sunday after the Aussies just snuck home over NZ at Telstra Dome. All the players were there getting on the piss except Lockyer and Thurston (who was prolly back at the hotel knocking off their wives and girlfriends).
It was funny as one of the people we were with pointed out Willie Mason and his group saying he looked like he had the arrogance of a AFL player but he didn't know who the **** he was.
The whole team did have a certain arrogance about them except for Jamie Lyon who was getting around in trackie dacks.
Interesting note- a few of the players smoked ciggies and one certain player was exchanging cash in return for something else under a table.....who could it be.......

Self belief is a wonderful thing, rememeber a few years back when the forwards believed the could stop anything thrown at them by other teams & supporters. No one was going to cross our line, you hit us, we'll hit you back harder......you throw full bottles at us, we'll drink them,

those where the good old days...hope they come back...these days you wonder if the forwards are playing FootyTab margins.....we just need to change their bets to us scoring more points than the opposition.

PJ you told us only half the story, if your starting a rumour then tell us who the player was? Was he buying drugs or condoms?

Self belief is a wonderful thing, rememeber a few years back when the forwards believed the could stop anything thrown at them by other teams & supporters. No one was going to cross our line, you hit us, we'll hit you back harder......you throw full bottles at us, we'll drink them,

those where the good old days...hope they come back...these days you wonder if the forwards are playing FootyTab margins.....we just need to change their bets to us scoring more points than the opposition.

PJ you told us only half the story, if your starting a rumour then tell us who the player was? Was he buying drugs or condoms?

well it definately wasn't condoms and unless he had a headache I'm guessing it was an e. By doing it under the table in an attempt to look inconspicuous it only made him look more conspicuous- not that he doesn't look conspicuous anyway....

I doubt this guy is the lone soldier so it would be probably a bit unfair to name him (although I all but have) I was just bemused that they would do something like that in full view of the public

So it would be one of the following:

1. Karmichael Hunt
2. Matt King
3. Mark Gasnier
4. Justin Hodges
5. Greg Inglis
6. Darren Lockyer (capt)
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Willie Mason
9. Cameron Smith
10. Petero Civoniceva
11. Luke O'Donnell
12. Nathan Hindmarsh
13. Reni Maitua

14. Mark O'Meley
15. Shaun Berrigan
16. Andrew Ryan
17. Brent Kite.

Doesnt fit the mould. They both started. Im trying to think who played , but wasnt in the line up i posted. I thought it may have been Berrigan.
So its a QLDer , who played the first game , but not in the line up i posted. Someone help me out here.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4