Are the current commentators the worst in history?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
For my two cents worth, I like Warren Smith, he can have a funny turn of phrase. He seems to give Manly a fair go. Cannot stand Ginane.

But the worst were Laurie Daley and Kimmorely, dead set, death rode Manly

I prefer not to watch channel 9 commentators. However at the moment I really don't care. I just can't wait for the footy to start again.

I think we are at about the lowest ebb with the broadcasters, channel 9 in particular and there level of coverage reflects there attitude. we constantly hear the broadcasters referred to as partners of the game but that is such a short sighted view .

there partnership and ratings are attached but there attitude toward the games growth is about this weeks numbers and not next years, next decade

i understand the networks view however the NRL are passengers in there own game and need to grow a set.

give the ABC a game, that should **** everyone off deluxe ,

Kevin Walters was the worst by a country mile. No insight, no timing, no value add. Came across as a simple lad way out of his depth.

Warren Smith, Greg Alexander, Andrew Johns, Billy Slater are all OK (had no time for Slater as a player, but to be fair, he is insightful and fairly balanced). I know most won't agree. Everyone has a view on Andrew Voss - I'd rather run it on mute than listen to him.

They obviously have different criteria in appointing the 360 host vs what I think would work. To first have Yvonne Sampson and then Braith Anasta (yes really) come in to replace the excellent Ben Ikin defies any logic I know given some of the other optiosn they had.

There seems to be a lot of dead wood at Fox that are the ones promoted, and the good ones bail. Ben Ikin gonski (although admittedly it was a unique role at the Broncs). I thought Mark Gasnier had real insight and was one of the best, no surprises he left given he was probably dealing with the central casting that appointed the above 360 hosts. Similarly, Shirvo walked and got a much better, broader gig at Seven. The good ones go. Lara Pitt would probably be the next. Over to you Braith, Vossy and Yvonne ....

Last edited:
In general I prefer the commentators who HAVEN'T played the game because to me they can articulate their thoughts much better and didn't just get the job because they were good players once upon a time. Some of this modern cohort of 'players turned commentators' have extremely limited communication skills. If you were a good player it's like you are employed as a commentator until you prove you are totally inept and your contract runs down. Rinse and repeat There's far too many in this basket for mine. Eg Thurston, Lockyer, Roach, Sailor, Lewis, Carroll. The list is endless.

Anasta, don't get me started on him. Alexander, Ennis , Sterling are quite good. Can listen to them. The Johns's.... 50/50.

I'll stick up for Vossy - I don't mind him.

Vossy good
Ennis good (but not with vossy)
Parker goooone
Anasta goooone
Brandy the best
Warren goes alright
Blocker gooooone
Dane is alright....
Agree re Brandy, Warren Smith can be annoying, Voss tries to be the class clown and pi$$es me off, Blocker sux, Anasta sux, Parker not much chop, Ennis can be good but can't stop showing bias, Dan Ginane is a pain in the acre, that's it, maybe Brandy and Ennis can call them all, the least painful combination imo🙁 Oh and I neglected to mention Cooper Gronk, surely best left out🤬

Brandy is the best commentator on RL to me. Vossy and Smith are okay. Most of Fox’s crew are better than Nine’s rambling lot. Used to like Rabs but him and Gus together drive me to mute button straight away.

I still can not believe that either channel get some commentators to work games that involve teams they are directly employed by, some like Brandy it doesn’t affect so much but most can’t help themselves and just plain embarrass themselves. Or like Flanagan commentating on his son’s games, just so unbalanced it was sad to watch almost.

Brandy is the best commentator on RL to me. Vossy and Smith are okay. Most of Fox’s crew are better than Nine’s rambling lot. Used to like Rabs but him and Gus together drive me to mute button straight away.

I still can not believe that either channel get some commentators to work games that involve teams they are directly employed by, some like Brandy it doesn’t affect so much but most can’t help themselves and just plain embarrass themselves. Or like Flanagan commentating on his son’s games, just so unbalanced it was sad to watch almost.
I loved Rabs but yeah, he and Gussy boy together are like a married couple and Gus is the woman

Not that I much better myself, but Rabs is senile
I loved Rabs but yeah, he and Gussy boy together are like a married couple and Gus is the woman
Not that I am much better myself, but Rabs is senile.

Probably the biggest thing for me is the overselling and overhyping of the product at every possible opportunity. I know they are there to promote the sport but not every moment of every game can be the 'ultimate' peak in the sports history. Most fans are smarter than that. If we are going to hype it, as GE said, let's hand it over to home crowd callers who we can at least relate to and understand.

You pretty much get the overpriced version without the comedy depending on which team is playing with the current set-up.

Warren Smith is head and shoulders above all others. Voss drives me insane and Ray Warren should have retired 20 years ago. I wouldn't give you 2 bob for any of the others.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 3 5 -55 8