Are the current commentators the worst in history?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Probably.

I think the problem started when players signed for bugger all to keep them under the salary cap, but with promises of a post footy career in the media *allegedly

One can't possibly think some of the ramblings of ex-bronco and ex cowboy players have been good enough to warrant on air media jobs. *allegedly

I realise that most of these guys are what doing what is called 'coloured commentary' in Canada.
That is, they're there to throw in some perspective from an ex players point of view - but it's obvious that their pet dog has borrowed the family brain cell.

I mean Micheal Ennis seems to be a decent commentator (annoying player) and has some insight into the game rather than bleat on about his ex team(s) and try to be funny.

So the main guys are: Voss, some guy called Warren and another called Dane... I dunno.

I wasn't really in the footy orbit when Rex was around but I wonder if he being pro manly makes him a fav on here? Well that and he was prob better than those others.

It's a shame fox / nine won't shell out the minimal cash so home teams can get their own commentators like the 'ice' hockey.

When the Canucks play at home we get "John and Shorty" -John Garrett and John Shorthouse.
Garrett is an ex goalie and is the older guy their for 'colour commentary' and Shorty gives the play by play. It's Canucks centered without being as terrible as when Flannagan commentated last year for the Manly v Sharks game - that was both terrible and unprofessional in my opinion.

ge - wtf. Sorry everyone, hat got onto my computer
hat - Yeah they know it was me, it's the most insightful thing this account has posted.
ge - Thank goodness it's early and no one else is logged on to read it.

Voss and Parker were not much in the game against the Raiders, Anasta is the one I don’t go much on.

Agree with GE Ennis offers good insight to the game.

Its funny how we all have our own perspective

post above is pretty spot on in my opinion. Dont mind vossy and his over the top calling. Whenever I watch a channel 9 call now its so boring 😴. Dont mind most of the fox calls.

Anasta was so painful in the rooters loss to us last year in the finals.

Voss seems to think he is interesting enough to blather on with all his mindless opinion rather than do his actual job which is to call the footy. He doesn't even bother to learn new player's names.
I'll always have a soft spot for Rabs.
Best insight comes from Brandy, Andrew Johns, and Ennis. Surely there would be so many former players looking for gigs that it wouldn't be hard to objectively find the good ones.

My comments relate to the professional commentators -- not the former footballers who struggle to even dribble: I admire the pros being able to remember and then pronounce the incredibly difficult names of players, particularly those Pacifica players. I wouldn't be able to. I can't even write their names, which is why I revert to nicknames such as Guaca.
Here's a challenge: watch a match with the sound off between two unfamiliar teams (not Manly) then try to call the action. I'll bet you struggle within the first couple of minutes.

I hate to say it, but it is becoming clear that the current bunch of commentators are, definitely, not up to the job.

Bring back Rex and ditch the cliches.
I would have to say (with some authority) that at the very least, they are the worst since Caesar’s Roman Raiders played Hannibal’s Carthaginian Elephants in the Mediterranean Knockout Shield competition, all those centuries ago.

By the way, Hannibal’s team did ok.

Last edited:
I would have to (with some authority) that at the very least, they are the worst since Caesar’s Roman Raiders played Hannibal’s Carthaginian Elephants in the Mediterranean Knockout Shield competition, all those centuries ago.

By the way, Hannibal’s team did ok.

Yeah but there's no way all those elephants were cap compliant!!

Their trunks were full of brown paper bags...

Last edited:
There are too many of them. 3 do the intro, 2 in the box, 1 or 2 on the sideline. A panel at half time. They fall over themselves to get a word in. It is just chatter.

Voss gets bored after 20 min of each half and starts talking anecdotes, and misses what is going on.

I wish they'd use Justin Hodges more hahahahahahahaha hahaha.
Also Laurie Spina doing Cowboys games on the radio is something "special"

Yeah Voss is an annoyance - the other night when Koula got the ball for the first time & Vossy was halfway through one of his boring, unfunny clown tales & just kept going.

The trials are where the viewers get a look at the young talent their clubs have coming through but Vossy doesnt even say their names, he just talks rubbish about himself.

I like Brandy & Ennis is mostly good.

Cronk is boring.

Last edited:
Mate .. they all go to the same media school for training in cliche delivery.. and have every comment uttered reviewed and critiqued mid week to make sure it was all gender/ethnic/racial and politically correct.

And to make sure they continue to say "he's an ornament to the game" 100 times for whoever is the current superstar of the month.

Can you imagine how long any commentator would have lasted if in reply to the female leads gushing breathless praise of Cam Smith.. he replied "nah, Cam is a salary cap cheating chicken wing throwing despicable ****!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7