Anti-vaxx, masks, Covid, freedom, 5G etc

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but you could also argue we get less and less democratic each day with this as the government passes emergency powers they will never roll back. The civil liberties argument is whole other mess. Look at this rubbish:
So-called civil liberties are always at the discretion of the so-called democratically elected government, which of course always governs subject to the ultimate discretion of the big capitalists.
Interesting series on ABC iview you've probably seen, 'Ms Represented', worth a look as pandemic viewing.
Relevance to this? I guess it puts into perspective our democratic process and how we got here, which in turn can shed some light on the way we (our elected governments) respond to this particular pandemic crisis.

Yes but not when you put other people at risk?
Putting other people at risk has nothing to do with an award that was named after a footballer 10 years ago. He should be fined $1000 for failing to adhere with public health orders; that's his crime. An award for football shouldn't even enter the conversation.

It's becoming a bit silly these days the way we all want to play 'moral police' with everyone and everything. I am opposed to the protests but I am also beyond feeling so self-important that I need to be outraged by the actions of others, sit in contempt and tear a person's character to the ground because they did something I don't agree with.

To me those protestors were absolute dickheads BUT in a democratic society we are allowed to be dickheads if we wish.

I don’t know about a “ stripping of honours” though and that’s even acknowledging they are ****ing nutters !!!
It isn't local to democracy, there are a fair share of dickheads through other political systems too

Putting other people at risk has nothing to do with an award that was named after a footballer 10 years ago. He should be fined $1000 for failing to adhere with public health orders; that's his crime. An award for football shouldn't even enter the conversation.

It's becoming a bit silly these days the way we all want to play 'moral police' with everyone and everything. I am opposed to the protests but I am also beyond feeling so self-important that I need to be outraged by the actions of others, sit in contempt and tear a person's character to the ground because they did something I don't agree with.
No. This is a pandemic we are facing as a society. It has zero to do with moral police and everything to do with trying to get everyone on the same page to prevent death and get us out of this nightmare.
It's not just Covid. People are beginning to really struggle financially, mentally, and then there's other consequences many don't even consider.
At the beginning of this current lockdown, my friend had to get an MRI. She was quickly admitted to hospital with a possible brain tumour. No visitors are allowed at St Vincent's hospital. So, on her own, she had to have a brain operation to determine if it was malignant, wake up paralysed, get the news it is stage four cancer, and now begin chemo and radiation. All on her own. No husband to hold her hand and no way to cuddle her 13 year old son who is beyond devastated.
So, yes, the poor little footballer can indeed be stripped of some mean nothing award if it means that people will do the right thing as a society and get us all out of this mess.

Last edited:
No. This is a pandemic we are facing as a society. It has zero to do with moral police and everything to do with trying to get everyone on the same page to prevent death and get us out of this nightmare. I
t's not just Covid. People are beginning to really struggle financially, mentally, and then there's other consequences many don't even consider.
At the beginning of this current lockdown, my friend had to get an MRI. She was quickly admitted to hospital with a possible brain tumour. No visitors are allowed at St Vincent's hospital. So, on her own, she had to have a brain operation to determine if it was malignant, wake up paralysed, get the news it is stage four cancer, and now begin chemo and radiation. All on her own. No husband to hold her hand and no way to cuddle her 13 year old son who is beyond devastated.
So, yes, the poor little footballer can indeed be stripped of some mean nothing award if it means that people will do the right thing as a society and get us all out of this mess.
Im sorry to read of your friends situation, makes me think there’s nothing right about what your friend went through, if you do enough research or spend an equal amount of time dedicated to educating oneself about the the lies and mis information that’s being spread about the current situation as we spend on the football, you might be shocked at what you discover.

Last edited:
Conspiracy theory addiction is mental health issue and these people are likely to be driven by fear, anxiety and a need to try to understand issues they feel threatend by and uncertain about. It is often but not always related to a lack of education.
They are true believers even though their ideas are baseless and often dellusional. They are not anarchists but quite the opposite as their ideological leaning is to the "far right" rather than the left.
Okay, how many here (or people you know) knew that the freedom rallies were going ahead?

If one is a conspiracy theorist then they’re probably trawling the net looking for anything that spooks them.
Why?
Is it because they feel the need to engaged and outraged by something, anything?

I’m sure there were decent ideals by decent people that led to this and I get that but there are so many ways to get your point across.
To not know or care that your “peaceful protest” will attract a small rabble that will in turn attract bad press is beyond stupid.

Has any one person or group taken responsibility for organising it?
Of course not, why not?

Yes it was a small sample of society that caused the dramas but with no-one taking responsibility for running the protest and then just letting it happen and get out of control is akin to anarchistic behaviour - it happened and we don’t care.

It’s a sad indictment on society when we see stuff like that and the media’s role in it exacerbates it.

I haven’t seen anyone come out and apologise for the way people behaved or their responses to the police trying to do their jobs so basically condoning it, but then again I’m not trawling the net looking for it either.
Whether someone is right, left or middle there are so many better ways to get your point across in a so called civilised society.

The Dunning Kruger effect has kicked in big time and will lead to no where good from a Silvertails forum perspective.

Please, this thread belongs in the General forum along with any mostly non-football threads.

I'm here for the football, not to have misinformed, emotive and brainwashed non football opinions shoved down my throat (RIP Rex). If I want that I can always buy a CIBSmsm rag or turn on the imbecile box.

Note: Misinformed, emotive and brainwashed football opinions are fine on the Rugby League forum. @:)

CI - Criminally Insane

Last edited:
If it's a 'mean nothing' award, how is stripping him of it going to encourage people to 'do the right thing as a society'? I would have thought the $1000 fine would have a better chance of intervening.

In stripping him of the award, we're saying 'now that you've done something we don't like, everything that came before or comes after is redundant.' What kind of thought process is that? It's a cancel culture 'get square' that achieves nothing other than highlighting the fickleness of today's society.

So-called civil liberties are always at the discretion of the so-called democratically elected government, which of course always governs subject to the ultimate discretion of the big capitalists.
Interesting series on ABC iview you've probably seen, 'Ms Represented', worth a look as pandemic viewing.
Relevance to this? I guess it puts into perspective our democratic process and how we got here, which in turn can shed some light on the way we (our elected governments) respond to this particular pandemic crisis.
Will check it out

Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.

If you sit idly by, and allow principles, standards and behaviour to decline, and allow numbnut notions to remain unchallenged ... then society is headed in only one direction.

I'm here for the football, not to have misinformed, emotive and brainwashed non football opinions shoved down my throat (RIP Rex).
When was something rammed down your throat? No one has directed a post at you in this thread yet? Bizarre comment.

Also, you've mentioned 'opinions'...your idea that something is 'misinformed' or 'emotive' or that someone has been 'brainwashed' is also an opinion; unless you know what someone's read or scanned the brain for this mysterious 'wash' you speak of?

You're 'here for the football' but you're commenting on what you believe to be a 'non-football related thread? Why then, if you are here for the football? You haven't just asked for the thread to be moved, you've thrown your two bobs worth in with the 'misinformed' comment, which says that maybe you aren't entirely here for the football? You're only here for the football after you've made a passing comment about 'non-football' related matters?

Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.

If you sit idly by, and allow principles, standards and behaviour to decline, and allow numbnut notions to remain unchallenged ... then society is headed in only one direction.
I would think the $1000 fine and tracking down of 3500 protesters says that we aren't sitting idly by and allowing numb-nut notions to remain unchallenged.

What's worse than tolerance and apathy is intolerance...intolerance is what fuelled the protests on the weekend. Tolerance is following public health orders; when others don't, they're fined. We don't need to resort to stone throwing from the far reaches of society to feel morally superior to those with opinions contrary to our own.

When was something rammed down your throat? No one has directed a post at you in this thread yet? Bizarre comment.

Also, you've mentioned 'opinions'...your idea that something is 'misinformed' or 'emotive' or that someone has been 'brainwashed' is also an opinion; unless you know what someone's read or scanned the brain for this mysterious 'wash' you speak of?

You're 'here for the football' but you're commenting on what you believe to be a 'non-football related thread? Why then, if you are here for the football? You haven't just asked for the thread to be moved, you've thrown your two bobs worth in with the 'misinformed' comment, which says that maybe you aren't entirely here for the football? You're only here for the football after you've made a passing comment about 'non-football' related matters?
Pfffttt.

If it's a 'mean nothing' award, how is stripping him of it going to encourage people to 'do the right thing as a society'? I would have thought the $1000 fine would have a better chance of intervening.

In stripping him of the award, we're saying 'now that you've done something we don't like, everything that came before or comes after is redundant.' What kind of thought process is that? It's a cancel culture 'get square' that achieves nothing other than highlighting the fickleness of today's society.

Not a fan of the woke or cancel culture ... but it could be argued that the award named in his honour , was not for his playing ability, but for his character and contribution, ... and that this legacy has been what has been tarnished .. I confess to being of two minds on this one ..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8