Announcement @ 2pm

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Oh well....what is, is.
I'm over it to be honest.

I'm just pumped I'll get to see Lyon, Wolfman, and co. and hopefully a few I haven't seen that much of like L Foran and DCE run around.

Pretty excited actually.

As long as silvertail is re-promoted I'm all for it. Being hated doesn't attract brands and fans, I wouldn't want to attach my brand to something that is hated. I would propose that the term silvertail is marketed in a new way. Promote being a silvertail as a positive in a similar fashion to the way St Helens in UK is promoted as the "glamour" club. I would attach a product or brand to glamour long before I attached it to widespread hatred.
Market the terms Silvertail and Manly that way, you can still be the glory boys from the Northern Beaches or the rich suburbs club, but those possibly negative aspectss become a positive sale point. Convince potential fans and sponsors with a "don't you want to be part of this, we are the best". Hell everyone wants to be rich and a part of glory and glamour on some level

Pretty hard to soar like an Eagle when your marketing is run by turkeys. God help us if Penn or Quantum have a bad business year financially we will be in the same boat as Newtown soon.

I am happy to sell the domain at reasonable price too ha ha ha

Dan link said:
I am happy to sell the domain at reasonable price too ha ha ha
Don;t get your hopes up Dan.  The clowns in their front office think internet is something trapeze artists land in.

Captain of the Gate link said:
As long as silvertail is re-promoted I'm all for it. Being hated doesn't attract brands and fans, I wouldn't want to attach my brand to something that is hated. I would propose that the term silvertail is marketed in a new way. Promote being a silvertail as a positive in a similar fashion to the way St Helens in UK is promoted as the \"glamour\" club. I would attach a product or brand to glamour long before I attached it to widespread hatred.
Market the terms Silvertail and Manly that way, you can still be the glory boys from the Northern Beaches or the rich suburbs club, but those possibly negative aspectss become a positive sale point. Convince potential fans and sponsors with a \"don't you want to be part of this, we are the best\". Hell everyone wants to be rich and a part of glory and glamour on some level

I agree.  Following a hated team may be attractive to tough-minded supporters, but how many sponsors want to be associated with hatred?

Sad to say that embracing of hatred may be a core reason we've struggled to find sponsors this millenium, and may be our ultimate downfall if not recognised and fixed.

Rex link said:
[quote author=Captain of the Gate link=topic=186575.msg318689#msg318689 date=1298892610]
As long as silvertail is re-promoted I'm all for it. Being hated doesn't attract brands and fans, I wouldn't want to attach my brand to something that is hated. I would propose that the term silvertail is marketed in a new way. Promote being a silvertail as a positive in a similar fashion to the way St Helens in UK is promoted as the \"glamour\" club. I would attach a product or brand to glamour long before I attached it to widespread hatred.
Market the terms Silvertail and Manly that way, you can still be the glory boys from the Northern Beaches or the rich suburbs club, but those possibly negative aspectss become a positive sale point. Convince potential fans and sponsors with a \"don't you want to be part of this, we are the best\". Hell everyone wants to be rich and a part of glory and glamour on some level

I agree.  Following a hated team may be attractive to tough-minded supporters, but how many sponsors want to be associated with hatred?

Sad to say that embracing of hatred may be a core reason we've struggled to find sponsors this millenium, and may be our ultimate downfall if not recognised and fixed.
[/quote]

Collingwood doesn't seem to have a problem of getting sponsors - Westpac, Emirates.

Man U either.

NY Yankees either.

Dallas Cowboys/Pittsburgh Steelers either

Wigan either.

So using the "we not getting a sponsor because we're the most hated club in the NRL" excuse is a **** house excuse imo

Ant80 link said:
[quote author=Rex link=topic=186575.msg318714#msg318714 date=1298897501]
[quote author=Captain of the Gate link=topic=186575.msg318689#msg318689 date=1298892610]

I agree.  Following a hated team may be attractive to tough-minded supporters, but how many sponsors want to be associated with hatred?

[/quote]

Collingwood doesn't seem to have a problem of getting sponsors - Westpac, Emirates.

Man U either.

NY Yankees either.

Wigan either.

So using the "we not getting a sponsor because we're the most hated club in the NRL" excuse is a s**t house excuse imo
[/quote]
Fair point.  Well argued.

You've convinced me.

So let me get this right, you're unhappy we have owners who are sponsoring us t by working together putting more money into out club (would you prefer them not to?)

You're also unhappy that as part of their sponsorship they had a press conference to confirm this (Like any sponsor would demand) to get the most out of their sponsorship? but because they are share holders they are not entitled to this according to you?

Footy season can't start soon enougth all this sky is falling talk is getitng pretty old.

Jonesyv2 link said:
So let me get this right, you're unhappy we have owners who are sponsoring us t by working together putting more money into out club (would you prefer them not to?)

You're also unhappy that as part of their sponsorship they had a press conference to confirm this (Like any sponsor would demand) to get the most out of their sponsorship? but because they are share holders they are not entitled to this according to you?

Footy season can't start soon enougth all this sky is falling talk is getitng pretty old.

+1

Yeah,but why should the owners have to fit all the bills?
This is the way that Lowe fails,the owners should not
have to pay for absolutely everything

Ant80 link said:
[quote author=Rex link=topic=186575.msg318714#msg318714 date=1298897501]

[/quote]

Man U either.

NY Yankees either.

Wigan either.

So using the "we not getting a sponsor because we're the most hated club in the NRL" excuse is a s**t house excuse imo
[/quote]

To an extent but those clubs all have aspects we don't. A primary one is they are also viewed as highly successful clubs. We may be the only club to win a GF 5 decades in a row and have made the finals series 6 times in a row, people still remember the failure years of Northern Eagles and shortly after. When previews come out eery year every analyst rates us at the bottom, those teams are always expected to succeed. Most fans and sponsors don't know what they are doing and follow "expert" analysis blindly, its a sad fact.

Secondly those teams are all headed by strong marketing, normally lead by a celebrity face and a strong recognisable leader in the CEO. The Steinbrenner family, Eddie McGuire. Man U's slew of celeb fans, Jerry Jones etc change the aspect of being hated from being hated into being hated because we are better.

Don't forget these clubs are also hated for being the richest clubs in the world cause they are strong business outside their sports which makes you promotable to sponsors. We simply aren't. Manly isn't flush with money.

As for being hated, many of those teams have the highest worldwide merchandising in the world and carry other tags that they promote to casual fans/sponsors and international prospective fans. Its hard to be completely hated when you sell more gear with your name that anyone else. Dallas Cowboys were known as "America's Team" not that long ago. The Yankees turned their tradmarked NY symbol into one of the world's top selling fashion brands. Man U Red is probably the most recognisable colour/team in the premier league and attracts peope because of that coupled with marquee signings. People who don't know anything about AFL know about Collingwood cause of the way they are promoted even if the rest of the AFL world hate them.

You can't just say they are successful and hated you have to look at why. They have aspects we don't have. You can't carry the hated tag unless you can overcome it with a least one, if not many of these things

Great post Captain.  There are positives to being 'silvertails' and these should be explored and promoted.  Sponsorship would follow.  We need to move the 'bogan at the gate', aka Zorba however,

Jonesyv2 link said:

No Mr Jones... if I could take you back to your original thread which you started in the'Having a whinge' section and seem to be running away from.  You praised up Lowe for securing a major sponsor- he did not do that. The Penns (who are great for the Club) had to come in and fill the void to save face for the Club becasue Lowe can't do his job. At the same time you had a sarcastic dig at other posters asking when all were going to slap Lowe on the back (for doing what???), and in my opinion you jumped the gun and were made look like a fool.

To be fair to Zorba this was lead story in today's smh.com.au sport section (Silvertails not the spon deal that was at the tail end of the article)

Major announcement - Major disappointment
Written by: Benjamin Pope
Mar 1, 2011 8:36am
http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=20472

In July 2010 it was reported Quantum would not be continuing in their role as major sponsor of the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles.

To some surprise shortly after the announcement, the club reached out for assistance in the search for a much needed replacement.

The club asked fans to use their networking skills and contacts to try and conjure up some interest in the role, they even offered a healthy commission to anybody who could lead them down (or at least provide directions to) the yellow brick road to a new major sponsor.

Rolling forward to November 2010 and it was announced that co owner of Manly, Max Delmege, would be selling off his 36% share of the club and Quantum were to be the purchasers and new owners to work alongside the Penn faction.

The news was welcomed by Manly fans as it appeared as though the tiresome board room bickering would be left behind and Manly would be able to move forward, full steam ahead, with securing a new major sponsor for the 2011 season and beyond being the top priority.

Die hard Manly fans eagerly awaited the news through the summer, Santa Claus made his annual pilgrimage to the local shopping centre, we watched the Australian cricket team fail in another Ashes campaign and the kids (finally) went back to school.

Surely now we would hear something? What was the company Manly supporters could promote on the freshly pressed jerseys for the next few years?

This off season has been a positive one for Manly fans. Brett Stewart has returned to the paddock, club memberships are on the rise and two recent trials have delivered promising results and whetted the appetite for another tilt at the Telstra Premiership.

And then yesterday, less than two weeks from the much anticipated regular season kick off, the announcement was revealed.

Co owners Penn Health and Quantum would be carrying the major sponsor responsibilities themselves, taking their place prominently plastered across the home and away jerseys respectively and the search for a future major sponsor would continue.

What a letdown.

The announcement was far from satisfying for any Manly fan who takes an interest in their club beyond what happens on the field, and was not the cherry on top they were looking for to cap off a long summer.

In seven months, a successful professional Rugby League organisation, a club which has not missed a final series since 2004 and who were the NRL Premiers and World Club Champions two seasons ago, could not find a suitable major sponsor - that's confounding to most.

Whether it was through a lack of tenders, financial commitment of those who offered or being unable to find the right amalgamation of club and sponsor, it's disappointing that Manly could not execute what they set out to do seven months ago.

Manly fans can only hope their club's efforts will eventually reap the rewards they're looking for, moreover some early season wins relegate this entire chapter to the back of the minds of the majority, until the next off season that is.

---

You can follow Ben on Twitter @Benjamin_Pope

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4