Angus Crichton - the 3 clubs that want him

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Foxtel and Nine would bankrupt the NRL, likeNews did the ARL :mad:

The NRL are on the brink of going broke anyway.

With Foxtel about to get sunk by other subscriber services, as has been widely reported I dont think they will put any pressure on. Their subscription income has been slashed by people tuning into Stan, Apple TV, Netfix and the like.

The days of charging people $100 per month are almost over, and when they go so too will the big paydays for NRL with their waning product and free to air networks all going broke. This is probably the last big contract for the NRL, they might get one more unless they sell the game globally which is a pipe-dream.

The game is almost dead in country/rural areas because the nrl clubs have drained them dry. So the biggest talent pool is all but drained.

I cant wait for all this to happen, maybe we can go back to a 12 team comp without the interstate teams. Back to what they now call "boutique ovals" and semi-professionalism.

Greenburg is the man who can sink the game completely and is well on the way if you ask me.

The NRL are on the brink of going broke anyway.

With Foxtel about to get sunk by other subscriber services, as has been widely reported I dont think they will put any pressure on. Their subscription income has been slashed by people tuning into Stan, Apple TV, Netfix and the like.

The days of charging people $100 per month are almost over, and when they go so too will the big paydays for NRL with their waning product and free to air networks all going broke. This is probably the last big contract for the NRL, they might get one more unless they sell the game globally which is a pipe-dream.

The game is almost dead in country/rural areas because the nrl clubs have drained them dry. So the biggest talent pool is all but drained.

I cant wait for all this to happen, maybe we can go back to a 12 team comp without the interstate teams. Back to what they now call "boutique ovals" and semi-professionalism.

Greenburg is the man who can sink the game completely and is well on the way if you ask me.
They have to get their own digital platform right if they want to succeed in the future

The interest in rugby league is definitely there, evidenced by the fact that over 20,000 turned out for the Chooks vs Melbourne game at the Adelaide Oval this year.

The SARL isn't in bad shape as such, but they would have been a lot better off if the Adelaide Rams were still around. Unfortunately there are less teams and players than when I was directly involved. The hope is that with the Chooks committing to playing games here that things will be on the up again like they were in the 90s when we had games here every year and then had the Rams.

The worst thing they ever did for league here was killing off the Rams. It put league's cause back about 20 years.
Interesting post and perspective and i thought that the Adelaide Rams were at least quite competitive during their short stint as a national R L side . Occasionally bump into [ so to speak ] former Rams player Kevin Campion in my local QLD country town when he is sometimes visiting his other family members up my way . Still looking quite fit and well actually .

Campion actually got shafted by the Rams....or more to the point Rod Reddy, but still came out on top of the deal. He represented the Qld SL team in 1997 and was regarded as one of Adelaide's better players. Then before the start of 1998 Reddy told him there was no place for him in first grade at the club.

So he went and signed with Brisbane and won a premiership.....while Reddy got the sack only 10 games into the year with the Rams having a 1-9 record at the time.

Last edited:
Outrage.PNG

• 😆
Reactions: Rex
Really hard to regulate or control the present T P A format

It is not hard to 1. level the playing field 2. fix TPA distortions 3. fix the brown paper bags AND 4. bring the game back to respectability and profitability - if the NRL is brave enough to think outside the box:

1. NRL (not the clubs) contracts the players - The NRL gets the TV rights money after all
2. Players specify the length of contract they seek
3. Players are auctioned. Clubs blind bid a percentage of their salary cap for their top players. eg 4.6% for player X.
4. The top (say) 10 highest percentage winning bids are done deals. Clubs then adjust their bids for the remaining players, with the top 10 winning bids again succeeding. Bidding rounds continue until all salary caps are exhausted.
5. Impact on the total salary cap of successful bids are objectively adjusted for loyalty (existing player), years of service, juniors, etc. eg a 5% bid for a player might only cost 4.5% of the cap to allow for these objective factors. Current minimum wages, etc can continue.
6. Players are free to earn ANY amount of income from any (legal) source, because only the bid percentage is controlled.

Some other benefits:
1. The NRL can pay extras for potential code hopping stars without adversely affecting equity between clubs
2. Bidding is a free market, so the system doesn't encourage unfair manipulation by the NRL or the clubs
3. The NRL is empowered to manage the profitability and financial security of the game, as well as the amount being invested in the grassroots

After having his middle finger amputated ,I wonder if this will affect his passing game,Hopefully so (for Roosters sake).Wouldnt be suprised if Uncle Dick is trying to get 10% off this deal now.
giphy.gif

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7