Angus Crichton - the 3 clubs that want him

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
As each day rolls on the more and more I feel the game I’ve loved for 55 years now is really no more.

I’ll still support my Eagles , but I think I’m done with spending money following them around , on merchandise or memberships.

This isn’t Rugby League, this is some variant that’s moved so far away from the original that it’s barely recognisable.

100% agree @Mark from Brisbane

I also find it harder to support our club at the moment or get excitement with the direction of where management is taking our club, I see not real future planning being done or any strategic direction plan for the future, It really saddens me.

I want to see where our management team want to take this club in 10-15 years times.

Just to add some probably unpopular perspective and not that it concerned me but many of the League public were invariably expressing similar critical comments towards Manly and their virtual complete international teams of the early eighties . [ and no premierships ] Many wrong aspects with the game now but in other ways just part of a general cycle and even more reason to get behind and support one's chosen team . The Roosters will not be unbeatable , as some of the stacked past Broncos teams were not in previous times . Not ideal for the over all image and general fairness of the game but let's just see how things pan out over the next couple of seasons . The Sea Eagles are still quite competitive and that has to mean something worth while .

No argument, but you have to remember that there was no salary cap in those days. If a club had the money to do so they could have bought the Aussie test team if they wanted to and there was nothing in the rules to prevent it.

Though I do get your point that having the best players doesn't automatically mean winning premierships. In the early 80s we had internationals playing in reserve grade!!!! And while we still made a couple of Grand Final's, we couldn't get over doesn't-matta who it must be said that regardless of what we think of that club, they had a fantastic team at that point.

No argument, but you have to remember that there was no salary cap in those days. If a club had the money to do so they could have bought the Aussie test team if they wanted to and there was nothing in the rules to prevent it.
AKA - The Brisbane Broncos.

AKA - The Brisbane Broncos.

Bingo.

Take a look at their 1993 Grand Final winning team as a prime example. And this was at a time when there was a salary cap.....in brackets is the player's then representative level achieved.

FB - Julian O'Neill (Qld)
WG - Willie Carne (Qld, Aust)
CE - Steve Renouf (Qld, Aust)
CE - Chris Johns (NSW, Aust)
WG - Michael Hancock (Qld, Aust)
FE - Kevin Walters (Qld, Aust)
HB - Allan Langer (Qld, Aust)
PR - Glenn Lazarus (NSW, Aust)
HK - Kerrod Walters (Qld, Aust)
PR - Mark Hohn (Qld)
SR - Trevor Gillmeister (Qld)
SR - Alan Cann
LK - Terry Matterson (NSW)

BE - Gavin Allen (Qld)
BE - Andrew Gee (Qld)
BE - John Plath
BE - Peter Ryan

Only Alan Cann, John Plath and Peter Ryan had not played rep footy at that point. Only Plath would fail to do so in his career. Mark Hohn would play test football in 1994 while Andrew Gee had toured PNG with the Kangaroos at the end of 1991 (no tests). Peter Ryan was also the only player in the 17 who hadn't played in the 1992 winning Grand Final team.

And they were under the salary cap?

Bingo.

Take a look at their 1993 Grand Final winning team as a prime example. And this was at a time when there was a salary cap.....in brackets is the player's then representative level achieved.

FB - Julian O'Neill (Qld)
WG - Willie Carne (Qld, Aust)
CE - Steve Renouf (Qld, Aust)
CE - Chris Johns (NSW, Aust)
WG - Michael Hancock (Qld, Aust)
FE - Kevin Walters (Qld, Aust)
HB - Allan Langer (Qld, Aust)
PR - Glenn Lazarus (NSW, Aust)
HK - Kerrod Walters (Qld, Aust)
PR - Mark Hohn (Qld)
SR - Trevor Gillmeister (Qld)
SR - Alan Cann
LK - Terry Matterson (NSW)

BE - Gavin Allen (Qld)
BE - Andrew Gee (Qld)
BE - John Plath
BE - Peter Ryan

Only Alan Cann, John Plath and Peter Ryan had not played rep footy at that point. Only Plath would fail to do so in his career. Mark Hohn would play test football in 1994 while Andrew Gee had toured PNG with the Kangaroos at the end of 1991 (no tests). Peter Ryan was also the only player in the 17 who hadn't played in the 1992 winning Grand Final team.

And they were under the salary cap?

Thoroughbreds and their endless (not club organised of coarse) 3rd party deals. Lol. NRL, you have become a fallacy of a business. Yet you question Brenda Duchn about what Kieran Foran does for you in an NRL stamped 3rd party.

Hahahaha....joke.

And I still maintain that through the Thoroughbreds there is an under-the-table slush fund to keep certain players in Brisbane should other cashed up clubs come calling. Darren Lockyer being the prime example.

Just had to lol

25398947_501263586921160_4095377709885369224_n.jpg

It would seem that N. Politis as Chooks boss had a word to his brother Nick of City Ford about the supply of paper ba....er......TPA of players, all in the presence of third brother and NRL board member Nick P (triplets you see) who declared everything above board.

Greenturd was satisfied on Nick P's word that there was nothing to see here.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him there next year after being given an early release. The Chooks apparently have enough under the cap for him in 2018 and I don’t know if Souths will stand in his way given the situation.

We get more spectators to our home matches. Crichton will get bored playing in front of 24 eastern suburb bogans (yes they exist) in a soulless sfs

Best thing Politis ever did was getting his lackey Greenslime in the CEO job, now he has control over everything.

It’s ****ing rigged I tell ya, as rigged and as rotten as you can imagine!

We get more spectators to our home matches. Crichton will get bored playing in front of 24 eastern suburb bogans (yes they exist) in a soulless sfs
True, but he'll be like Scrooge McDuck and just swim in his money during the quieter times

Meanwhile pocketing $20k a week, think about that for a moment , more per day than the average Aussie earns every two weeks!!

Though I do get your point that having the best players doesn't automatically mean winning premierships. In the early 80s we had internationals playing in reserve grade!!!! And while we still made a couple of Grand Final's, we couldn't get over doesn't-matta who it must be said that regardless of what we think of that club, they had a fantastic team at that point.
Also Manly could have easily have won a couple of more titles in the mid nineties or so and even allowing for the blatant and high level stacking of the Broncos at that time . So Manly were always still there abouts in terms of being a competitive premiership threat then also . How is the general state and over all interest in Rugby League in Adelaide and S A at the present time .?

I don’t blame the player or the buying club it’s the NRL that has these rules. Obvious questions over the Roosters cap management although realistically you would have a young bloke who has a decent offer from his club and a host of other clubs waiting to pounce come Nov 1. Like anyone you would listen to those offers. Then you have your club pressuring you to make a decision. You could sit back and wait, although most players find the contract discussions distract them from plying their best footy so everyone loses in that case. So you put an end to the speculation and pressure and cop it from all sides. NRL need to fix the problem, have a transfer window twice a year at the end and middle of the year (before June 30). Contracts can’t be announced until after season, so even if clubs know a player is gone it can’t be public so everyone can get on with it. It’s a broken system. Clubs and players just work with what they have.

Really hard to regulate or control the present T P A format . One feasible measure or practice perhaps could be to still allow the T P A 's in their existing form then applying a limit or cap to them and any excessive monetary or other benefits then reduces and is deducted from the club's cap allocation . Self explanatory but for example a club has one mill dollars in T P A 's organized or arranged . the limit is 500 k , so 500 k is reduced on the respective club's standard allocated cap . Would be hard to be challenge legally as well as in this instance the T P A 's are still permitted but just incorporated into a composite club player remuneration arrangement . Maybe this has been suggested before but really could have some merit and not so much result in a complete level playing field but at least a fairer one .

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8