Amateur players blog

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Put It Away
The problem is I don't have one in the first place to shelve. That's my issue, anything middle and leg and I'm trying to work it off my pads through on side, not playing straight in V. I play around my front pad all the time, so if I miss I'm Shane Watsoned. LOL. I was being facetious anyway - after 25 years of playing I'm no hope of learning an on-drive now. Just got to not miss the ball and all will be good. It's a **** of a sport when you don't get runs

The problem is I don't have one in the first place to shelve. That's my issue, anything middle and leg and I'm trying to work it off my pads through on side, not playing straight in V. I play around my front pad all the time, so if I miss I'm Shane Watsoned. LOL. I was being facetious anyway - after 25 years of playing I'm no hope of learning an on-drive now. Just got to not miss the ball and all will be good. It's a **** of a sport when you don't get runs
Fair enough

Watching my boy go round has sparked something in me to maybe go back again....I just need to find the lowest possible grade!

Today the ball sung to me for the first time in years

It sung a song of turning left late as it was pitching, some might say hooping

After firing back to back to back wides to loosen the frame and a four one was pitched on off to the left hander and rocketing into his pads six inches from the base from middle

2 balls later a ball was heading outside another off stump to another lefty and abruptly ending his time by slamming the pads covering off, a slightly dubious call but in line and clipping off

My next over i made a third left hander feel my wrath as his stump gently cartwheeled to first slip

A fourth left hander an over later hit a ball headed for the grass straight to cover

Then 3 overs of poo

12 wides one no ball 4/23 of 6

Today the ball sung to me for the first time in years

It sung a song of turning left late as it was pitching, some might say hooping

After firing back to back to back wides to loosen the frame and a four one was pitched on off to the left hander and rocketing into his pads six inches from the base from middle

2 balls later a ball was heading outside another off stump to another lefty and abruptly ending his time by slamming the pads covering off, a slightly dubious call but in line and clipping off

My next over i made a third left hander feel my wrath as his stump gently cartwheeled to first slip

A fourth left hander an over later hit a ball headed for the grass straight to cover

Then 3 overs of poo

12 wides one no ball 4/23 of 6
Sounds like a fair day out...

Decent day for my boy - kept for 10 overs without a bye and then a couple of overs of leg spin including a bowled (I celebrated more than an umpire should have)
Batting was hit and miss with running needing a heap of work

12 wides in 6 overs !!! Gee you have some radar issues going on there Cherry. But the good news is you'll be first picked when your team plays the Lefties First XI

12 wides in 6 overs !!! Gee you have some radar issues going on there Cherry. But the good news is you'll be first picked when your team plays the Lefties First XI
Radar issue was due to rarely bowling at lefties,they used to be my bunnies back when i swung the ball

The trend continued,belatedly

Unfortunately so did my obsession with leg side bowling,however back then it wasn't an instant wide

Decent day for my boy - kept for 10 overs without a bye and then a couple of overs of leg spin including a bowled (I celebrated more than an umpire should have)
It was a great day out,went up in a team bus which i drove back talking **** and laughing all the way

The team we played against has once featured 9 players with the same surname and another 2 brothers of another family #geneticdiversity #butt****nowheretas

Beastly work that bowling someone out with leg spin

Shane Watson school of running between the wickets? I'm a perpetual member,i should teach

Well cricket was back this weekend past

Went 1/37 off 10 and a third ball quacker

It was a day of bent backs and little luck, they stacked the team pretty massively

Their opening bat from round one came out at 8 and the bowlers weren't awful which means the ball needs to be sliced in 2.. shocking day

Back in the swing on the weekend and managed a few runs. 30 odd not out, bowling attack wasn’t much chop so not getting excited. Got a few overs down wind with a fairly stiff breeze so that was fun, gave me a couple of extra yards that I haven’t had for a few seasons - managed a couple of wickets too. Successful day all round as we won with an over to spare.

Had a few weeks of dead rubber to take us into the finals so haven't bowled much

Hit 30 though batting at 2, an hour and 1 minute in the middle only to be ran out

They called it early so at least we didn't have to go to the ground and sit around like stale bottles of pi$$ watching the rain drizzle down in the hope it would clear. End up bucketing down so we were no hope of getting through the game.

Well that's it for me for another season, last game yesterday. Second half of season wasn't great, too many single figure scores. Frustrating bloody game, but as a team we had a pretty good year - won more than we lost.

How did your U10's side end up @lsz ?? My boys' team all ended up improving over the course of the season. Batting probably more so then bowling (still some radar and bent arm issues with a couple of them), but in general as a group they all listened and learnt to some degree. Even had them thinking about their wild throws at the stumps and making an effort to back up the throws when they did let loose.

Well that's it for me for another season, last game yesterday. Second half of season wasn't great, too many single figure scores. Frustrating bloody game, but as a team we had a pretty good year - won more than we lost.

How did your U10's side end up @lsz ?? My boys' team all ended up improving over the course of the season. Batting probably more so then bowling (still some radar and bent arm issues with a couple of them), but in general as a group they all listened and learnt to some degree. Even had them thinking about their wild throws at the stumps and making an effort to back up the throws when they did let loose.

Got to be hoenst i was shocked at the level of improvement in the kids. They went from being pumped every week to being competitive and almost winning most games. A great example was this weekend

First time up the other team scored 3/192 (from 20 overs!) and we scored 11/56 - this week it was 2/96 v 3/89 which they just lost.

On a pers level i have been pretty proud of how my son has fallen in love with the game - he is set on being a wicket keeper batsman that bowls a bit of leg spin (from memory did Tim Zohrer used to do the same) and has gone from eeking out a single if the ball hit the bat to a solid opening bad whi regularly gets into double figures

Tim Zoehrer - LOL. Yes a wicketkeeper, yes did bowl some handy part time leg spin, but you wouldn't class him as a test class bat - certainly not to the level required today of keepers.

The funny thing is he can bowl a mean wrong un but struggles with the stock ball!

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2