Alternate view on Monaghan

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
Matabele on mercenaries

Follow the logic with me:

1. Several weeks ago Monaghan and Manly are close to signing a long term deal for him to play with the club.
2. The imminent contract signing is delayed as Monaghans manager goes on an overseas holiday.
3. Rumours start to circulate that Monaghan is being looked at by several English Super League sides.
4. Monaghans manager returns from holiday and all of a sudden the imminent signing becomes anything but.

Does anyone else get the feeling where being held over the barrel here? Incredibly the ME schmucks are defending Monaghans right to do the best by his family and his future. Lets forget sentiment and be realistic about this.

Club CEO Cummings announces on the news last night that Manly have made their final offer and have been informed that it is 30% short of what Monaghan wants. Im told this 30% represents a gap between offer and what is wanted of around nearly $100,000. You do the maths my friends.

That is the sort of money paid to stand out, marque players. Some would call them franchise players. Its the sort of money commanded by internationals or young players with the potential to have a long representative career. Its not the sort of money you pay to 26 year old journeymen who have yet to display any pedigree in a big match situation and, with the sands of time running out, are unlikely to do so.

Its a disgraceful situation when the captain of a club is prepared to put said club over a barrel for personal gain. Leadership equates to service and Monaghan is serving no one but himself by knocking back what equates to a very generous offer for a young man in his situation and trying to hold a gun to the clubs head for an unreasonable contract.

What he forgets is that whilst he might get more money in England he would also need to re-locate to the other side of the world, away from family and friends and endure the English weather and ridiculously high cost of living. Perhaps he should quantify those things before he shoots himself, and our club, in the foot. Who on earth is advising the man? His manager should be ashamed of himself for his complete inability to look at the big picture.

Watching Cummings on last nights news bought about a sense of deja vus. He indicated the club had made its final offer and it is now up to Monaghan to take or leave it. Weve drawn our line in the sand just as we did with John Hopoate last year. We wont allow it to descend into a circus or bidding war the ball is squarely in Monaghans court.

If he leaves we should be pro-active. That should start with stripping him of the captaincy, because Manly has no need for mercenary skippers or men who put themselves before the club. Give the captaincy to someone whose first interests are Manly, and with the leadership capacity to match. Kennedy comes to mind or, failing that, give it to one of the others like Williamson who have shown their blood runs with maroon rather than greenback.

A final thought. Monaghan is far from irreplaceable and there will be plenty of quality players on the market in a months time who are far more worthy of the sort of money that Monaghan is demanding. So if this little sideshow carries on Ive only one thing to say quoting a great thread that appeared this time last year.

**** off Monaghan.

Some thoughts on tonights game:

Last week we broke our night time and away game hoodoo with a strong win against the Premiers. Tonight we journey to a ground where we were roundly shellacked last year after a Hopoate brain explosion. Its not going to be easy.

Most of the focus has rested upon the loss of players for the State of Origin squads. Personally I think that Glenn Stewart is capable of a Watmough style game and that his exclusion will adequately plug the hole left by Watmough.

On the other hand losing Kennedy is a huge blow but it is matched in the Parramatta ranks by their loss of Hindmarsh. The Eels were impressive in their last outing, a thrashing of the in-form Cowboys where they notched a half century. The effect of the bye will be critical. We lost momentum during the bye weekend as have others. Lets hope that the bye will have a similar affect on the Eels.

Its going to be a tight one between a consistent but understrength Manly and an Eels side that can blow hot or cold. Manlys prospects rest with our forwards establishing an early dominance and holding it for the full eighty minutes. We certainly have the capacity to do just that with Kite now getting support from Leuluai and the ability to keep Harris, who has been impressive in recent weeks, on the bench to inject punch and go-forward late in each half.

Bring it on!!!

The alternate views are back!!! fantastic!

Good to see. Thanks Mata I was waiting for you're spin on the issue.

You may to do a 3 line version for Kiz though....hehe

Some interesting thought and good analysis though I don't agree with all you say.

This sort of negotiation has been going on for ever and a day in Pro footy. I don't knock Monas for asking for a lot - he is captain and a play maker but I do object to it being done on the front pages.

He didn't ask to be captain and he can't be abused for asking for top price - what I can't stand is the manager painting the club as disloyal when in fact all they are doing is standing their ground, just as Monaghan's manager has painted his line.

If this was going on behind closed doors we would be none the wiser and the only issue would be the announcement of signing or going on the open market.

In the same way that Kennedy left Newcastle - wanted more money and Kite left St George for better money, there is no big deal about a player wanting the best deal.

The manager has something to answer for - using the media to bargain with the club and casting aspersions on the club is not wise.

Hope it can be sorted but I am not as harsh on Monas as Mata. It is his right to ask for a lot of $ though he wears it if the advice given is bad and the price he asks is unrealistic.

That's better...I've been trying to spark a proper debate like this on ME's, only for it to end in a slanging match.

Well said Mata. Well thought out.

harsh but fair in my opinion,

just on CWs though, KIte Origin Rep, Kennedy Australian rep and almost Rugby League legend. Please let them ask for and get what ever they wish from the game.

Monaghan, has he played in 50 first grade games yet ? please mate, we love that your a battler, we love that you play with passion, we accept you for who you are, dont let your manager who seems to be more about looking after himself, tell you your something your not.

I'm with CW....I can't stand this being in the media. Do you think other clubs wouldn't have called his manager because of the free publicity Monas is getting?

Monas is entitled to what he wants. Manly management also makes a habit of leaving players in the lerch re:Mcdougal. so we shouldn't think for a second that any of the parties are being honest with each other.

Wether you accept it or not Mata Monas has been instrumental in Manlys success. Therefore he is entitled to ask for overs.

BUT SHOULD BE DISCUSSED WITHIN CLOSED DOORS. BOTH MANLY MANAGEMENT AND THE AGENT ARE HANDLING THIS BADLY....imo

I'm with CW....I can't stand this being in the media. Do you think other clubs wouldn't have called his manager because of the free publicity Monas is getting?

Monas is entitled to what he wants. Manly management also makes a habit of leaving players in the lerch re:Mcdougal. so we shouldn't think for a second that any of the parties are being honest with each other.

Wether you accept it or not Mata Monas has been instrumental in Manlys success. Therefore he is entitled to ask for overs.

BUT SHOULD BE DISCUSSED WITHIN CLOSED DOORS. BOTH MANLY MANAGEMENT AND THE AGENT ARE HANDLING THIS BADLY....imo

McWho ??????!!!

Ben Mcwho wether we liked him as a player doesn't matter. Players also get stuffed around. We never know the full story. Some of the PL players don't get signed untill it's too late to find another club.

Theres not as much loyalty as what we would like to think...imo!

i agree Byso, BUT you make your bed as a proffesional footballer, this goes with the territory, there are not many jobs , and lets use Monaghs as an example, where someone who say has average to above average ability in his role, can ask for 300K per year to work 10 months of the year!

now to get that you have to crawl up the mediocre and get on top of them, that includes fighting tooth and nail to get out of premier league.

Thats just the way it is.

I guess you have a much better relationship with the players and know most of them personally hence feel the issues such as this with a bit more sentiment than the average bloke.

Thank god your not negotiating for the eagles or we would double the salary cap !!!!

He is asking 300K then.

Probably not too far off what his team value is, if as reported Bk and Kite are on 400K each.

However i imagine none of these figures are right.

Ive given up believing any stories and the sooner it leaves the media the better for all involved bar branagan who is making his name well known.

He's asking for more than that Fluffy. And comparing Monaghan to Kite and Kennedy continues a treaured line of Fluffed comparisons (aka Monas better than Langer etc).

Byso, Monaghan needs to be appraised of his worth. I'm completely with the club deciding a maximum figure for what they are prepared to pay and to stick with it. If Monaghan thinks he can get more, then good riddance to him.

There's no need to pay over the odds for an AVERAGE player. And he is nothing more than AVERAGE in the scheme of things. This club will not fall apart if we decide we're not going to play an AVERAGE player more than $300k.

More strength to Cummings' arm.

So monas cannot be compared to any player.

I compared his worth at 3/4 of that of Kite and Bk and you still have to kick up a fuss. His importance to the club as playmaker and captain would have to be about that.

I have already posted my distaste for sticking this in the media.

On your figures Mata they are offering him 233k and he wants 333k. He should probably be around the the 250k, maybe a fraction more. I say that because we are equal top of the comp and it is a large part by his efforts, along with the good purchasing of BK & BK2 and obviously coaching which has lifted Stewart, Witt, Watmough and plenty of others.

I don't care what any one says - this is in the CEO of an Australian company market and a damn good income and sits well in the paying rates of professional footballers.

What he hasn't shown is the ability to go beyond the rest and stand with the best. As others have said he should go for a one year contract if he is so convinced he has the talent and prove it and then demand/command what he believes is right. Demanding much more than this he is a legend in his own mind.

There's some inventive maths going around.

If our offer is around the $250k mark (or just above) add 30% of that to $250k and what do you get?

Monas is worth around $250k tops for mine. I think we're already being generous offering him that much. I care not what Huddersfield are offering.

I have already posted my distaste for sticking this in the media.

On your figures Mata they are offering him 233k and he wants 333k. He should probably be around the the 250k, maybe a fraction more. I say that because we are equal top of the comp and it is a large part by his efforts, along with the good purchasing of BK & BK2 and obviously coaching which has lifted Stewart, Witt, Watmough and plenty of others.

I don't care what any one says - this is in the CEO of an Australian company market and a damn good income and sits well in the paying rates of professional footballers.

What he hasn't shown is the ability to go beyond the rest and stand with the best. As others have said he should go for a one year contract if he is so convinced he has the talent and prove it and then demand/command what he believes is right. Demanding much more than this he is a legend in his own mind.

No, according to Matabele's theory, Manly have offered Monaghan around $ 330 000 and Monas wants $ 430 000. Now If those figures are correct then fair enough Manly not committing, but I highly doubt those figures.

Club CEO Cummings announces on the news last night that Manly have made their final offer and have been informed that it is 30% short of what Monaghan wants. Im told this 30% represents a gap between offer and what is wanted of around nearly $100,000. You do the maths my friends.
Um, 100k is 30% below - 100k of 333k = 30%. I tried doing the maths.

Monas is only worth, what someone is willing to pay.
these players if any good have got a ten year use-by
I can remember a side early last year looking pretty
bloody ordinary, without this so called premier leaguer
he is in a good side, getting results.
Manly will only fork out what he's worth.

Guys when it comes to it, we need to pay the guys what we can. Of we just throw away 333k on monas because we feel all mushy towards him than we can throw away watmough, witt, hicks, kite, stewart who will all be looking for top dollar in a few seasons time. The more we can bargan the price down now, the better chance we have of keeping our younge stars. And really, if it came to the crunch and you had to release one of these blokes, who would go?

Monas
Kite
Stewart
Hicks
Watmough
Witt?

We want them all, so lets pay what we have to, to keep them. If that means monas must take a pay cut or find another team, I say so be it.

BTW, if someone offered me 250 a season to play with "MANLY" I would be a club man for life.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2