Alex Johnston

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I don’t believe we need to recruit anyone ‘special’......ok maybe Saab who really is an unknown to be honest. He hasn’t shown anything special from the games I’ve watched but his height is an advantage on what we have.
Tom T
Funa
Walker
Suli
Harper / Garrick
Schuster
DCE
Cust to 14......

I don’t believe we need to recruit anyone ‘special’......ok maybe Saab who really is an unknown to be honest. He hasn’t shown anything special from the games I’ve watched but his height is an advantage on what we have.
Tom T
Funa
Walker
Suli
Harper / Garrick
Schuster
DCE
Cust to 14......

Exactly what I've been thinking about Saab.

If we truly want an upgrade on our outside backs, we should be looking at someone who is named every week in a teams 17, not a player who can't even make a team that also sits outside the 8 like us.

Im not really thinking players are keeping away from Manly, more the fact there is so much tied up with DCE, Tom and Jake, we are limited to what can be offered in comparison to other NRL teams...

So stayed at souths.

Did he want to go or just testing the market through the media?

Im not really thinking players are keeping away from Manly, more the fact there is so much tied up with DCE, Tom and Jake, we are limited to what can be offered in comparison to other NRL teams...
He's not getting picked because he wants out! Only Des plays players who are leaving next year.
Saab would be a massive upgrade on Garrick and Taufua. He will be a gun, he is only young but is about ready to fire. He is the 1 signing I really want! I'd even let Walker go to get him. Use the spare money for a hooker

He isn't a star sure but after DCE and Turbo (when fit) he would be our best back yet your relieved we missed out on him lol.
If we want to spend 400-500K on a back id rather so so many backs than AJ. What my point is, is that AJ would be invisible without Trbo and DCE because he is a finisher, so I don't see how that is worth the investment when we lack game breakers like Staggs (not suggesting we are a realistic chance of Staggs). He's a decent back and a good option but I think you're a little too invested in AJ, he'd be a risky signing if we entered a bidding war for him. He is a better version of Garrick

I'd say Johnston, JAC and Vunivalu are the top three strike wingers off contract this year. Need to make a play for two of them imho
Vuni signed with The Reds and JAC looking to play fullback

Im happy with Johnston but think he is being overrated here a little

Exactly what I've been thinking about Saab.

If we truly want an upgrade on our outside backs, we should be looking at someone who is named every week in a teams 17, not a player who can't even make a team that also sits outside the 8 like us.

Dont support this logic at all

Saab is a youngster on the up. Now he is no sure bet but by your logic none of the clubs below should have signed the players listed as the were youngsters that hadnt really broken through at their respective clubs

Storm signing JAC from the Tigers
Storm signing Papy from the Tigers
Roosters signing JWH from us
Sharks signing Ramien from us
Penrith signing Kikau from the Cowboys
Parra signing Sivo from Penrith

Could go on and on, part of be succesful in the salary cap era is taking the right punt on the right young players

Saab is a youngster on the up. Now he is no sure bet but by your logic none of the clubs below should have signed the players listed as the were youngsters that hadnt really broken through at their respective clubs

Could go on and on, part of be succesful in the salary cap era is taking the right punt on the right young players

Fair point and you could say we've done the same with the likes of Garrick, Suli, Harper etc. which is why I made the point of also looking at someone who has proven consistency to be selected because we can only bring in so many rookies before we need to start looking at other options, especially when the Storm, and to an extent the Roosters had a lot more experienced campaigners in their sides compared to us.

So happy to take unders to stay with Souths, when not long ago couldn’t fit within the cap. Obviously nothing to see here, which is why there needs to be more transparency around salaries.

Or could be to do with them originally going after Addo-Carr but then unable to get his signature.

Or could be to do with them originally going after Addo-Carr but then unable to get his signature.
They never associated chasing JAC with resigning Johnson funnily enough, they maintained it was that kid they want to shell the $$ for as why they couldn't fit Johnson and part there of why their fans were livid.

So happy to take unders to stay with Souths, when not long ago couldn’t fit within the cap. Obviously nothing to see here, which is why there needs to be more transparency around salaries.
Maybe the "sacrifice" he made that was in the news is that he won't get to play FB staying at Souffs, not that he took unders to stay.

Didn’t know about Kikau....man, that must burn the Cowboys big time.
Its a good point you make @Disco. You’ve got to take a punt at some stage on the next (hopefully) big thing.

They never associated chasing JAC with resigning Johnson funnily enough, they maintained it was that kid they want to shell the $$ for as why they couldn't fit Johnson and part there of why their fans were livid.

Do you really think a kid at that age and of this generation would knock back $100K?

I’ll bet my left proverbial that there is a third party deal happening somewhere where this kid gets more than what they are claiming.

The gladiator has people in the know so it probably took a few phone calls to get it over the line.

Do you really think a kid at that age and of this generation would knock back $100K?

I’ll bet my left proverbial that there is a third party deal happening somewhere where this kid gets more than what they are claiming.

The gladiator has people in the know so it probably took a few phone calls to get it over the line.
Not sure your point ?
I was replying to a post that assumed one potential signing falling through resulted in Johnson resigning. I was in essence saying it smelt like a brown paper bag job to stay under the radar. TPA's are the new potential paper bag

Last edited:

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8