Albert Hopoate Jnr

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Bearfax and Bozo, I admire your faith in a player who hasn't played for 12 months and then it was only against kids. I would love nothing more than to see him become an instant hit in First Grade. But I refer you to the response from Smithy which seems a lot more plausible.

Hoppa was never in running for round 1.

Those news hounds must never leave the office.

Minus Turbot and Walks as well ....., I don’t want to think about the team sheet ... I’m sure Masters and Jennings are though

Dessie’s famous D is about to get a stern first up test.
I’m sure the attitude will be there though

Last edited:
Well thought out Ranger.

Short answers Yes. Possibly. No. No.

As you have already noted Albert is coming back from an ACL injury, he wont be rushed. When he is ready to return to the field he will be eased back and move through the grades. Word is he will play 20s, and NSW Cup first. There is even a chance he will start in 18s to get him comfortable and regain confidence in the knee. I would look towards a mid season debut on the wing.

That's great someone at the club protecting him and not rushing him.

• 🤝
Reactions: Sue
Ponga was an instant success. Wright only started playing football in his mid teens and then that was in Rugby Union. Unlike many juniors that come through the system, he was a late starter and had a lot to catch up. You could see that there were times when he got lost on the field. Genius with the ball, but positioning was something he found hard to learn. Albert is raised in a Rugby League family with a father, uncle and two brothers in or near the top team of an NRL club. He has been nurtured in an environment learning the skills and requirements of the game. Unlike Wright he has come through the junior ranks from a young age and knows what's required of him. No question he'll thrive in first grade and probably rep football in the years to come. Certainly the injury has stalled him, but at his age he'll get back into stride quickly. Barring serious injury or external factors, he'll be a star
So young Albert will be in court soon, because he is from a family who have had a lot of court time.

Forgive me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think I’ve seen a single pre season pic of Albert in full stride. I recall seeing a close up of him laughing & enjoying himself, but have there been any glimpses of him at all?

Forgive me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think I’ve seen a single pre season pic of Albert in full stride. I recall seeing a close up of him laughing & enjoying himself, but have there been any glimpses of him at all?
U18s nsw origin highlights...he created a winning try, running it out of his own line. Based on what I saw he is powerful rather than very fast, but also skilful.

A quick glance at history suggests that Des Hasler is a first grade coach of some notoriety...Trent Barrett has no such credentials other than carrying the clip board for 3 years of wayward, inconsistent ineptitude.
Go back to your Golden Books
Funny that Bozo rates your comment as a winner?Go back to your see Spot run books,maybe get your grandkids to read them to you in a couple of years.....

My $0.02 regarding Albert...

Will he debut in 2019?
Most likely. He is a representative junior but surely Des didn't just put a then 17 year old in the top 30 just on a whim. Worth pointing out also that until the last two weeks he was not really mentioned as a starting player.

Will he play at fullback this year?
Possibly, but only if Tom is off the field/injured. If he is such a revelation that he takes the fullback role off Tom, on merit, as an 18 year old rookie, I will be gobsmacked.

Will he debut in Round 1?
Not sure. Des is a harsh marker so we should be excited if he does. Hopefully there are no further issues with his knees having ruptured his ACL last year. Playing against u18s is very different to playing against grown men so I would prefer we wait if there is any substantial risk of injury. Though he would surely debut on the wing.

Will he debut in Round 1 as fullback?
Extremely unlikely. For all of the reasons above.

Probably worth asking @Snake or @smithy as they seem to have a good source or two.
I didn't think we'd see him early in the season and kinda still don't but...the Walker situation has complicated things and you just never know what could happen...Dessie's hand could be forced through further injuries...Hoppa has been handling himself really well at training and hurting some of the other boys with his power. I honestly don't think there is a hard and fast answer at this stage and anyone claiming to have one (including Des) is probably just taking a stab in the dark. I don't even think Dessie knows yet. It depends on how the 1st grade team is travelling (form and injuries) and how well Hoppa is performing in the lower grades. Those variables will produce an answer at some stage.

Anyone know when Fast Albert will be available to play. I realise he was still nursing that injury from last year but I had thought he was near ready to start in the early rounds. Anyone know what's happening?

All I know is he is not listed for any grade this weekend mate. I am sure he will be brought back slowly and will play FG when all our excellent staff say he is ready. They will not risk him. Good enough for me. I expect him to debut round 10 or so if all goes well.

Named to play centre in SG ball this weekend

Very interesting Josh, given I was only yesterday informed he is still doing rehab with an unknown date of return. Where did you get the info? Great if he plays and I guess bringing him through SG Ball before Blacktown would be logical at first. Hope it pans out.

Has had a long lay off injury wise, so for the best interest of Manly and more importantly himself....is 100% before playing any grade let alone NRL.
Pretty confident in the staff we have to get the timing right.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6