Albert Hopoate Jnr

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
I will be bloody surprised if a barely 18 year old kid who has never played a game of grade football and is coming off an ACL is picked at fullback over our next million dollar player.

Des may be known as the Mad Professor.....but he's not stupid is he. I agree with you that there is no way will he pick the completely untried Hopoate at fullback over Tom, even if we do need a centre.

If Hopoate is picked in first grade, at best it'll be him in the centres and not Tom. But most likely he'll be blooded on the wing.

I will be bloody surprised if a barely 18 year old kid who has never played a game of grade football and is coming off an ACL is picked at fullback over our next million dollar player.

That’s one way of looking at it . But the facts are , when Tom T plays centre he is a standout- he doesn’t have to worry about bombs , grubbers - picking up rolling balls or being caught out of position. Where at centre he strengthens that side . Young Hopa isn’t your average 18 year old - regardless of ACL comeback - if he is 100% fit his ability is something I’m backing.
I played 1st @ 17 after worse injuries and Hopa has tons more Natural skill , pace and ability then I had and not lose too much with Hopa .

Interesting times.

All will hinge on Walker's fitness to play.

Des is not really a gambler on selections but he also backs his ability to see if someone is ready or not if the time and need arises.

Maybe TT at centre is a good thing IF we need young Hoppa to fill Walker's spot in the 13 AND Des thinks he is ready.
FB is Hoppa's best position from what I can tell and asMR MANLY 007 points out, a spell without TT being exposed to things that trouble him may be a good thing for him.

I'm not really a fan of TT at FB so I can be swayed easily.

Whatever happens, i'm optimistic and enthusiastic about how we will go this year.

I find it unlikely that Hoppa will play anywhere but wing in first grade in 2019 - especially as he has no experience in first grade and is also very young.
I believe they will keep Tom at fullback as he is going into, I think, 4th season of first grade with the expectation of continued improvement in his game. Fullback being such an important position it does not make sense to move him.
In saying that playing wing is still an influential position in the game and Albert will get plenty of opportunities to get involved and show his skills.

If your good enough then your old enough .
Plenty of 18 year old's made their debut not only in the centres but also in the halves and the forwards and never looked back .
Albert is known to bench press more than veteran forward Joel Thompson. Some people must think 18 year old athletes are made like sponge cakes .

Never hold back a champion ,
Good luck son !!!
download.jpg

If your good enough then your old enough .
Plenty of 18 year old's made their debut not only in the centres but also in the halves and the forwards and never looked back .
Albert is known to bench press more than veteran forward Joel Thompson. Some people must think 18 year old athletes are made like sponge cakes .

Never hold back a champion ,
Good luck son !!!
View attachment 10735

John Hopoate started first grade when he had just turned 19. William Hopoate started first grade barely a month or two after he had turned 18. Jamil Hopoate was playing against men in a Rugby League-Union hybrid game at Brookie Oval when he was 16, and starred. Its in the genes. Some are not ready until their 20s. Some like Fulton, Eadie and the Hopoate family were and are ready in their late teens

John Hopoate started first grade when he had just turned 19. William Hopoate started first grade barely a month or two after he had turned 18. Jamil Hopoate was playing against men in a Rugby League-Union hybrid game at Brookie Oval when he was 16, and starred. Its in the genes. Some are not ready until their 20s. Some like Fulton, Eadie and the Hopoate family were and are ready in their late teens
Yes you are right . Every thing is in the Genes , Size , Speed , Strength , and freakish Skill .
Which goes back to .....
If you are good enough and got what it takes then you are old enough .

Yes you are right . Every thing is in the Genes , Size , Speed , Strength , and freakish Skill .
Which goes back to .....
If you are good enough and got what it takes then you are old enough .
I am not saying he won't debut in 2019. I just don't think he play fullback and more than likely it will be the same situation as his dad and brother where he will debut and play out his first season on the wing, (especially so as Tom is an elite player). However, I am not sure who is going to wear the number1 jersey when Tom is playing for NSW so there could be an opportunity at that time.

I am not saying he won't debut in 2019. I just don't think he play fullback and more than likely it will be the same situation as his dad and brother where he will debut and play out his first season on the wing, (especially so as Tom is an elite player). However, I am not sure who is going to wear the number1 jersey when Tom is playing for NSW so there could be an opportunity at that time.
You could well be right feathered friend

My $0.02 regarding Albert...

Will he debut in 2019?
Most likely. He is a representative junior but surely Des didn't just put a then 17 year old in the top 30 just on a whim. Worth pointing out also that until the last two weeks he was not really mentioned as a starting player.

Will he play at fullback this year?
Possibly, but only if Tom is off the field/injured. If he is such a revelation that he takes the fullback role off Tom, on merit, as an 18 year old rookie, I will be gobsmacked.

Will he debut in Round 1?
Not sure. Des is a harsh marker so we should be excited if he does. Hopefully there are no further issues with his knees having ruptured his ACL last year. Playing against u18s is very different to playing against grown men so I would prefer we wait if there is any substantial risk of injury. Though he would surely debut on the wing.

Will he debut in Round 1 as fullback?
Extremely unlikely. For all of the reasons above.

Probably worth asking @Snake or @smithy as they seem to have a good source or two.

Des knows. If he puts Albert in firsts in the first round, it will be as a result of trial performances and it will be on the wing. Otherwise he will keep him in the Blacktown side for a number of games to see how he handles playing against the seniors. My gut feeling says he'll be on in a contest for one wing spot with Garrick. Taufua will be given the other wing I suspect because he's an incumbent.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 56 16
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8