Alan Jones

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I actually really liked his idea that when you're offered a penalty you get one play. You kick for touch you go for goal or you tap it.

This is one of the worst ideas I’ve heard!

Under this rule, Manly would be rucking the ball out from their goal line and the opposition just need to lay over us or be offside and give away a penalty early in the count. Instead of us having 6 tackles we could end up with only 1 after the penalty.

Any defending team would be desperate to give away a penalty if it only meant one tackle to the opposition.

The other idea about not getting the ball back after missing I kick, I like... although most goals are taken close to the posts and not many miss these days.

This is one of the worst ideas I’ve heard!

Under this rule, Manly would be rucking the ball out from their goal line and the opposition just need to lay over us or be offside and give away a penalty early in the count. Instead of us having 6 tackles we could end up with only 1 after the penalty.

Any defending team would be desperate to give away a penalty if it only meant one tackle to the opposition.

The other idea about not getting the ball back after missing I kick, I like... although most goals are taken close to the posts and not many miss these days.
You would get another set of six after the penalty so not sure how you work out it's only one extra tackle.

I was referring to the idea of only getting one play after a penalty....which is what Alan Jones apparently put forward as an idea.
I think his idea is you get one free "kick" after a penalty - pretty much like it is in rugby. So you either kick for touch (not sure what his theory here is - do attacking team or defensive team get the ball from the restart ??), tap and go (another set of six) or kick for goal (you miss and opposition the ball from 20m restart)

I think his idea is you get one free "kick" after a penalty - pretty much like it is in rugby. So you either kick for touch (not sure what his theory here is - do attacking team or defensive team get the ball from the restart ??), tap and go (another set of six) or kick for goal (you miss and opposition the ball from 20m restart)

I’m not sure either as I didn’t hear it. I was just going on what was posted earlier in the thread. If a team ended up with a new set of 6 then it’s no different to what we’d have now.

I might listen to what he said later when I have time.

Sorry boys and girls but to me there is only one Alan Jones.....

Alan-Jones-Montreal-1980.jpg

Alan Jones only does things for his personal gain. He is an egotistical, agenda-driven nutcase. OK, he supports a charity or two - but does more damage to Australia than almost anyone else through his bigoted, uneducated ranting and political bias. He’s almost Trump-like in his ability to turn anything into a “its better because I was involved with it” moment.

“Heart of gold”, you say? Rude, small-minded right-wing attack dog, say I.

Was attacking Australia’s first female prime minister Julia Gillard, and suggesting that her recently deceased father had “died of shame because of her” acting with this so-called “heart of gold”? Whatever side of politics you sit on, that sort of thing is despicably low...

He also incited his attack-dogs to physically intimidate a female friend of mine who is a high-level political reporter, while at one of his “ditch the witch” rallies, at about the same time. Why? Because she happened to write something negative about him.

The ABC’s publishing division were going to publish Jonestown themselves, until he called in his mates in the Liberal party to put pressure on them to bin it. My company at the time stepped in and published it instead.

If he is involved with rugby league on any level, it will be to further his own cause in some way.

Alan Jones only does things for his personal gain. He is an egotistical, agenda-driven nutcase. OK, he supports a charity or two - but does more damage to Australia than almost anyone else through his bigoted, uneducated ranting and political bias. He’s almost Trump-like in his ability to turn anything into a “its better because I was involved with it” moment.

Was attacking Australia’s first female prime minister Julia Gillard, and suggesting that her recently deceased father had “died of shame because of her” acting with this so-called “heart of gold”? Whatever side of politics you sit on, that sort of thing is despicably low...

He also incited his attack-dogs to physically intimidate a female friend of mine who is a high-level political reporter, while at one of his “ditch the witch” rallies, at about the same time. Why? Because she happened to write something negative about him.

The ABC’s publishing division were going to publish Jonestown themselves, until he called in his mates in the Liberal party to put pressure on them to bin it. My company at the time stepped in and published it instead.

If he is involved with rugby league on any level, it will be to further his own cause in some way.
Wrong on so many levels.

At the end of the day, everyone has their own biases, that’s life. The sentiment is would he improve the NRL. Yes he would, hands down. The gap between the intelligence of this guy and the current keystone cops is an absolute chasm. I don’t agree with everything he says, but FMD he would be a serious upgrade on the current administration.

....and that's relevant because ?
Judge his character and leave everything else alone.
I judge his character by hearing stories told to me by people who played for the Marlins in the 1980's when he coached there as well as one player who went on the 1984 grand slam tour

I will leave it there

I judge his character by hearing stories told to me by people who played for the Marlins in the 1980's when he coached there as well as one player who went on the 1984 grand slam tour

I will leave it there
Don’t sit on the fence - have a go and share

Totally corrrect

At the end of the day, everyone has their own biases, that’s life. The sentiment is would he improve the NRL. Yes he would, hands down. The gap between the intelligence of this guy and the current keystone cops is an absolute chasm. I don’t agree with everything he says, but FMD he would be a serious upgrade on the current administration.
Jones likes getting sued too much to be in charge of the NRL. A quick search and you will see he says anything to push his agenda and then lets his owners pay for his mistakes.

What ever happened with the child sex rumours from his days at that school? Kings was it?

A
You're so far left leaning it's really not worth it . Ironic that you accuse him of political bias.

And...that's based on what, exactly? My thoughts on one particularly rabid conservative who happened to attack one of my friends? Don't accuse me of being "so far left-leaning" when you've never met me and don't know anything about me. I could say the same about you being "so far right leaning" based on your support of Alan Jones, but don't presume to know anything about you, so I won't.

I sit in the middle as it happens, somewhere between 'economic realism so mining and growth makes sense' and 'let's not **** the place up too much on our way out'. I have friends actively working on both sides of the political spectrum.

However, we digress. Football and stuff. The game needs a strong leader with vision, rather than idealists pushing their own agenda. Think about what John O'Neill did for Australian Rugby, getting behind the Super Rugby competitions and organising the massively successful 2003 World Cup, then moving to Soccer and launching the A-League which took the comp to a national level and increased crowds tenfold.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6