AFL Grand Final

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The AFL umpires have their fair share of rules to police during a game, a lot more than what the casual observer would know. And its no less than what an NRL referee has to watch and judge on during a game. And an AFL umpire has to do a lot of it on the run because Aussie rules is a lot more of a free flowing game where the ball travels a lot more quickly around a much larger field.

I don't dispute that and I am less than a casual viewer, so you would know a lot more than I, like you said they have more rules than a casual viewer would realise, but on the surface of it while they may have more than one realises the basis of the game means there is less to police purely in comparison to league.
The AFL games I have watched have a great deal less influence from the ref than league, that can't just be because the AFL refs are better or less "corrupt" than NRL, surely it less infringements to break leads to it as well.

Great game, first full AFL game I’ve watched in ages. It’s great to have a day time grand final and to see the fans given such s great experience. What struck me was how the Umpires were so sure of themselves, respectful to the players and allowed to show discretion to let the game flow - very refreshing.

Not only were the umpires sure of themselves but the commentators didn’t harp on about the calls they thought were incorrect even after watching the replay.

Not only were the umpires sure of themselves but the commentators didn’t harp on about the calls they thought were incorrect even after watching the replay.

Unfortunately the way its become these days, rugby league, the NRL in particular, is an agenda driven sport. And the media, be it print or visual, has a hell of a lot to do with that.

I don't dispute that and I am less than a casual viewer, so you would know a lot more than I, like you said they have more rules than a casual viewer would realise, but on the surface of it while they may have more than one realises the basis of the game means there is less to police purely in comparison to league.
The AFL games I have watched have a great deal less influence from the ref than league, that can't just be because the AFL refs are better or less "corrupt" than NRL, surely it less infringements to break leads to it as well.

As I said in my above post, there are too many agenda's going on in rugby league both on and off the field. And referees are the NRL's voice of the on-field agenda's.

I get that TV pays the bills but I still don't get why the NRL has to bend over as much as they do and let channel Nine dictate everything. It really ****s me.

I don't watch or know much about the AFL but I really enjoyed todays game.

Cause they made a big mistake of giving them too much control.

By allowing the broadcasters to control the game (amongst other factors), crowds have plummeted, and then the NRL chases the next big tv deal to salvage revenue. Perpetual cycle of trouble.

AFL and big bash have massive crowds, leading to big member numbers, new supporters, etc..

The NRL has to make a very tough decision to take back control and fix the game, or, start controlling the digital rights (partner with Google, Amazon, etc..) which will lead to the control the broadcast rights.

But this admin are more concerned with making sure the rooster can cheat the cap, and donkeys are the heart of the game.

See the same spectacle if you head down to the beach and throw a chip in the middle of a bunch of seagulls

People are carrying on about how refreshing to see refs not getting too involved, but they missed about 150 knock-ons.

2 fkn brilliant quotes to kick off Sunday morning. I think the laugh those quotes gave me will get me through the doom and gloom of this particular afternoon. Well played fellas!

It was on tv over here!

Hoping west coast would win (more anti collingwood than pro west coast)

1am - tired.

Also a few years ago I started an afl thread and @Jethro booted it outta this forum. So it may happen again! (not by me though... nighty night)

Official attendance: 100,022

!
I don't remember that at all however it is quite possible that I did do it because this is a Rugby League forum after all to "Discuss all things Rugby League in here" and AFL certainly has nothing to do with Rugby League. If I did, I would have only moved it to a more relevant forum for discussion there. I certainly wouldn't have deleted it in it's entirety. Do you want me to move this one too?
icon_rolleyes.gif

When its free running its a spectacle, when it gets bugged down like the chip and seagulls, no thanks
The NRL has been bogged down since the Storm wrestle a decade ago.3 robot runs from athletes( not footballers), a block play then set up for the Hail Mary kick. Yawn. We are heading down the path of Union and the crowds are voting with their feet. I’ve never seen more apathy with the game from my league mates than right now ,and that includes Super League.Most of my crew watch more junior and ISC games than NRL because they still actually play rugby league.

One of the good things about the AFL is the air of unpredictability it has as a result of the vagaries of a bouncing ball. Those “knock ons” provide uncertainty.The other is the lack of influence from referees/umpires.

I have played , coached and watched league for 45 years and this year for the first time I watched more AFL games than NRL. And I fear I’m not alone.

The AFL is a juggernaut run by professionals , we are a joke run by corrupt incompetent charletons.

Last edited:
The NRL has been bogged down since the Storm wrestle a decade ago.3 robot runs from athletes( not footballers), a block play then set up for the Hail Mary kick. Yawn. We are heading down the path of Union and the crowds are voting with their feet. I’ve never seen more apathy with the game from my league mates than right now ,and that includes Super League.Most of my crew watch more junior and ISC games than NRL because they still actually play rugby league.

One of the good things about the AFL is the air of unpredictability it has as a result of the vagaries of a bouncing ball. Those “knock ons” provide uncertainty.The other is the lack of influence from referees/umpires.

I have played , coached and watched league for 45 years and this year for the first time I watched more AFL games than NRL. And I fear I’m not alone.

The AFL is a juggernaut run by professionals , we are a joke run by corrupt incompetent charletons.
Whilst i don't like toddy and co one bit i don't think it's that bad. The nrl (not including origin) did just trump the season collective tv ratings of the afl

My first full year in Adelaide so i went to an AFL party. Kids had one TV, went to the park and kicked a footy when they got bored, adults out the back. What a great afternoon. Im sold. Having a game in the arvo, the history of doing the same process, great coverage, plenty of fun. BBQ! Beer, sunshine, a decent contest. Everyone interested in the contest and no off feild baggage. .belief and hope. It was really good to be surrounded by footy and not politics

Sunday night, netflix,

So i still watch manly, afl is now on my hit list. As are the NRL administartion. I will continue to vote with my feet with ch 9 . I got foxtel this year for the first time in maybe 15 years but after my 12 monts is up im gornski. Moving here i thought i might want it again but faaaaaark them all. Back to my free telstra downloads on the i pad

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8