AFL Grand Final

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It was on tv over here!

Hoping west coast would win (more anti collingwood than pro west coast)

1am - tired.

Also a few years ago I started an afl thread and @Jethro booted it outta this forum. So it may happen again! (not by me though... nighty night)

Official attendance: 100,022

!

Just got back to the hotel after the game.
100k in attendance...the atmosphere was electric.

And as an aside, the MCG does everything better than we do for major events in Sydney.
The guy next to me got up at half time to get 4 beers, and was back within about 6 minutes. Try doing that at a packed Homebush.

Great event, pity about the result, although I couldn't help but to sing along to Eagle Rock, much to my wife's disgust.

I watch one game a year. Jeez they do the whole thing well. ****s on what the NRL serve up. I like the traditions and how they haven't bent over to the TV network and play the game in the arvo. It was also good not seeing KFC ads every time someone scored.

Other than one is Aussie rules and the other is rugby league, that is the biggest difference between the AFL and NRL.

The AFL runs their competition and Channel 7 is nothing more than the broadcaster. Seven conform to what the AFL wants. The NRL bow to every whim of Channel 9 and the game is basically run to how they want it done.

As a South Australian who has seen countless games of Aussie rules football, today's wasn't the best game I've seen. But it was definitely worthy of a Grand Final. West Coast fell behind early, but never gave up and clawed their way back into it and ultimately to victory.

Other than one is Aussie rules and the other is rugby league, that is the biggest difference between the AFL and NRL.

The AFL runs their competition and Channel 7 is nothing more than the broadcaster. Seven conform to what the AFL wants. The NRL bow to every whim of Channel 9 and the game is basically run to how they want it done.

As a South Australian who has seen countless games of Aussie rules football, today's wasn't the best game I've seen. But it was definitely worthy of a Grand Final. West Coast fell behind early, but never gave up and clawed their way back into it and ultimately to victory.
I get that TV pays the bills but I still don't get why the NRL has to bend over as much as they do and let channel Nine dictate everything. It really ****s me.

I don't watch or know much about the AFL but I really enjoyed todays game.

Because if they don’t have the massive profits to point to as success then it becomes obvious that these politicians running the game aren’t doing anything else.

You really have to say that the AFL absolutely ****s on the NRL from go to whoa.

Friday public holiday, Grand Final parade ( attended by gazillions) , Saturday it all starts on TV at 7.00am and is very professional and what I think is unbiased.

People line up 3 days early for a GA seat ( and that’s just to get a better position ).

Meatloaf aside their entertainment is usually first class, with many international artists having graced the stage.

The TV presentation is slick , a few adverts but not thick with them AND when they go to a review there’s no KFC time.

The umpires seemed respectful and everything was done quickly not really affecting the speed of the game.

Can’t say I like the game much ( only ever watch one game a year) but if you had to rate the two as spectacles I’d say,

AFL 9.5/10
NRL 5.5/10

You really have to say that the AFL absolutely ****s on the NRL from go to whoa.

Friday public holiday, Grand Final parade ( attended by gazillions) , Saturday it all starts on TV at 7.00am and is very professional and what I think is unbiased.

People line up 3 days early for a GA seat ( and that’s just to get a better position ).

Meatloaf aside their entertainment is usually first class, with many international artists having graced the stage.

The TV presentation is slick , a few adverts but not thick with them AND when they go to a review there’s no KFC time.

The umpires seemed respectful and everything was done quickly not really affecting the speed of the game.

Can’t say I like the game much ( only ever watch one game a year) but if you had to rate the two as spectacles I’d say,

AFL 9.5/10
NRL 5.5/10
Couldn't believe how quick and professional the umpires seemed to be. When they wanted to check wether old mate got a hand to the footy before going thru the goal, it was bang, bang, bang...decision....yes he did, it's a behind (listen to me, talking like I know my shiit!..) and play on. No SCam Smith in the refs face whinging, trying to slow the game down.
@globaleagle I do remember @Jethro pulling your AFL thread down, and thought, yeah get that shiit outta here!....and yet, here I
am,participating in one!
Sums up the year really. Bring on 2019!

I get that TV pays the bills but I still don't get why the NRL has to bend over as much as they do and let channel Nine dictate everything. It really ****s me.

I don't watch or know much about the AFL but I really enjoyed todays game.

As I said, I've seen better games of Aussie rules and in my life I've probably seen well over 1,000 games. But as far as Grand Finals go it had everything you'd want as a spectator, even a neutral like myself. A gripping contest and umpires who let the game flow and if not for their fluro green tops you'd have hardly noticed them. It was the players who decided the outcome.

I fear that will be in stark contrast to tomorrow because although I won't be watching, I have a feeling Sutton and Klein are going to have a lot more influence over who wins.

As I said, I've seen better games of Aussie rules and in my life I've probably seen well over 1,000 games. But as far as Grand Finals go it had everything you'd want as a spectator, even a neutral like myself. A gripping contest and umpires who let the game flow and if not for their fluro green tops you'd have hardly noticed them. It was the players who decided the outcome.

I fear that will be in stark contrast to tomorrow because although I won't be watching, I have a feeling Sutton and Klein are going to have a lot more influence over who wins.

Don't get me wrong I agree with your point and by no means am I an AFL fan, but isn't that the main difference anyway, AFL have a great deal less rules to police for the ref to blow compared to League regardless of who is the ref ? No 10m no knock ons, besides tackling low, incorrect disposals and obvious cheap shots there isn't much else for the ref to blow on is there ?

Don't get me wrong I agree with your point and by no means am I an AFL fan, but isn't that the main difference anyway, AFL have a great deal less rules to police for the ref to blow compared to League regardless of who is the ref ? No 10m no knock ons, besides tackling low, incorrect disposals and obvious cheap shots there isn't much else for the ref to blow on is there ?

The AFL umpires have their fair share of rules to police during a game, a lot more than what the casual observer would know. And its no less than what an NRL referee has to watch and judge on during a game. And an AFL umpire has to do a lot of it on the run because Aussie rules is a lot more of a free flowing game where the ball travels a lot more quickly around a much larger field.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8