AE's First Birthday - A present from Haig

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

I played First Grade Union so I have an inkling of what it takes and have done it.

12 months ago I was a King supporter as many here will attest. However his injury rate and restricted playing time over the last 2 years does leave a big question mark over his value to the side - no?

This is the best debate ever on any of the sites. Well done to the both of you. Please keep going.

No offence Matabele, I played 2nd Grade Rugby for Manly and A grade rugby league for Narrawena, there is no comparison bewteen the intensinty and the physical collisions between the 2 codes. RL leaves RU for dead in that regard, my body on any Monday was living testimony to that.

I did not intend it to be a debate about wether King was good enough to play first grade, just that the princess tag is unwarranted. I understand the intended humour of the proncess tag, I just dont agree.

The seething masses are still waiting for your visions on where the Manly management have failed,. If your only negatives are with the quality of the web site I am dissapointed, you teased the masses with your word of your prophecies but you failed to deliver, you obvioulsy know the laws of defamation, I do and I get the distinct impression you know how to write what you believe without any fear of of an action. Common stop hiding behind veiled threats and publically state your opinions, you after all an ex rah rah and we all know they are far more intelligent than us mere leaguey's!!!!

Defamation laws are one consideration. The other is the trust that has been placed in me by various sources.

It seems as though you're now goading me into something rash?

Here's a few morsels to feed on:

1. Reading between the lines it seems as though we've been strong-armed into a compromise with Monaghan. He's either an expensive hooker or a disgruntled half back. What to do? Well, either we drop off Orford or someone takes a stand of principle about Monaghan. You are right in saying owners influence clubs. But a quick watch of "Any Given Sunday" will show the tensions that this can create and what it can do to the culture of a football club. It is VERY dangerous territory that we seem to have entered.

2. It is not about THE web-site. It is about our marketing and promotion in general as well as our handling of the media. Why do we have our captain airing his dirty laundry in various publications. Who is in control here? Why are we short of the mark in memberships. Why are we struggling to attract decent sponsorship - perhaps because the sponsors aren't convinced they'll get the bang for the buck? Hopefully Pat Wilson can take this by the throat, But I fear that to do it he will require the ability to sack, and that may not be given.

3. On the field our intensity has dropped off. There are several theories as to why this may be. The Monas saga? Injuries? Des' words becoming tired? Who can tell? We will know more on this after we've returned to our home ground on Sunday, won't we?

How's that for starters.

(Oh, by the way, I did play League and agree with what you say about its toll on the body.)

Its late and I am tired after 5:00am start, so I will be brief:
1) Private ownership, it goes with the territory get over it. I did watch On Any Sunday and private ownership has its drawbacks. The positives are that we still have a Manly team that has resememblance to the club we all love, without Delmege we may not have a club at all and if we did we would certainly be at the blunt end of the ladder.

2) The membership drive has been dissapointing, it is clearly related to the price and this needs to be addressed. I have no doubts that it will be and look forward to those changes. If you information that is privy to you is that costs will not be lowered then there are problems, but as you will not divulge your true thoughts this debate is somewhat restricted. I also feel that more could be done for season ticket holders, but then I have a vested interest in that so maybe that comment is biased.

3) All teams (Bronco's excepted) have suffered form slumps this year, we have had ours and it is little surprise given that our 3 most effective players this year have ll been involved in SOO during this period. Our slump will finish this Sunday (pete crosses himself, looks towards the heavens& says a short prayer).

Look forward to the main course because the entree that you have served deserves the main course, stop hiding behind a skirt and deliver, otheriwse the entree is wasted,

Great stuff boys. Pete, I argued intensely with Matabele last year about our end of season form for a week and gave up, not because I was losing or his superior intellect ( :lol: ) but eventually because he was like a dog with a bone and wouldn't give in. :wall: Good luck in your 'keeping the bastard honest". :bdh:

Some very well discussed arguments put forward in theses pages. From different sides of the fence.

All three of those points are connected. I disagree that we are "stuck" with Max. It is also spurious to compare his ownership with other models.

Max described himself as a benefactor which, at the time was basically described to the fanbase as a "non-involved" equity partner with a buy out option. The vote for him to get his share of the club went forward on those lines. What has happened since has been different to what was promised.

Also, because there is a buy-out option, we have the power to take back what was ours at any point. But the way we have been told that this will be done is through the money raised from seeling memberships. Can you see why this is not an optional extra then? It is imperitave that as much money is raised as soon as possible to buy back the club and put it back in public hands, rather than in the hands of one person who sees himself as "owner" and feels free to go over the heads of the "management" that we all apparently have such confidence in.

At the very least we should be busting our arses to reduce the Delmege share to less than 50%.

LEt's be clear, MSE is full of "thanks MAx" threads, and we are fortunate in some ways that he came along. However, he is not proving to be the silent equity partner he was spruiked to be.

LEt's be clear about something else. Our form slides co-incides with the untimely intervention in the Monas' situation. Read this week's Big LEague and you will see what is becoming common knowledge - the club wants Orford but MAx intervened.

Now we're shedding reasonable quality forwards like Harris to secure ORford, when it was really Monas that the coaching staff wanted to see out the door. And we have this turncoat captain undermining our administration and coaching staff everytime a microphone is thrust under his nose.

Something will have to give - but it could involve a lot of bloodletting and maybe some expensive pay outs. Sadly, it could have been avoided.

So the cycle goes - we do not have the ideal model of ownership or governance, the method that can be used to correct this is not being pushed to anywhere near capacity and the results of the factions and frictions this is creating is being demonstrated on the field.'

I too hope that we turn things around tomorrow. But to pretend that all is rosey and on track is to put one's head in the sand.

Well done Mata. You know what I mean :D

Just in a cheeky mood today. Now keep it going.

Thanks for the advice. I shall delete that. However, the typos can stay to show I'm fallible.

Max described himself as a benefactor which, at the time was basically described to the fanbase as a "non-involved" equity partner with a buy out option. The vote for him to get his share of the club went forward on those lines. What has happened since has been different to what was promised.

Business men who become multi's from nothing will very rareley, if ever give away power, they have worked hard to achieve their status. To expect these type of men to be able to walk away from a position influence is naive.

It is imperitave that as much money is raised as soon as possible to buy back the club and put it back in public hands, rather than in the hands of one person who sees himself as "owner" and feels free to go over the heads of the "management" that we all apparently have such confidence in.

Blind Freddy can see that, of course we want the club back in "our hands" the problem was the kitty was empty and we were saved from a fate worse than death by Max and his dollars. It is apparent that the membership has not fullfilled expectations, but do you know through your "priviliged information" that you are loathe to share that this is not to be rectified for 2006. Management would be painfully aware that memebership needs to be revamped, if it is not I will cross to the dark side and support your arguement.

LEt's be clear about something else. Our form slides co-incides with the untimely intervention in the Monas' situation. Read this week's Big LEague and you will see what is becoming common knowledge - the club wants Orford but MAx intervened.

It also coincided with SOO and Watmough's injury, How are North Qld going at the moment? Let me answer for you, not good, in previous years the Bronco's form has also been poor through the SOO series. You may be right, but then again, you could be wrong & I am right!

I too hope that we turn things around tomorrow. But to pretend that all is rosey and on track is to put one's head in the sand.

Please don't accuse me of having my head in the sand. You can accuse me of being passionate, supporting our team & supporting management & supporting the coaching staff simply because I could not do a better job than those people. If I see things that don't improve I will be critical, but never ever do I see the world through maroon and white glasses.

Matabele you clearly feel that you can do a better job,, the CEO position was recently advertised, did you ever consider applying for the role and then you would have been able to change the wrongs and deal with us poor fans who whinge and moan about whatever the current gripe of the month will be.

Our arguement has become circular, but I have read that you will always have the final comment, so the invitation is extended for you to have the final word. I will not be responding.

Thank you for the debate, it was enjoyable for me. We may not agree on everything but I think we are as one in saying
"GO YOU MIGHTY SEA EAGLES" .

Thank you for the debate, it was enjoyable for me. We may not agree on everything but I think we are as one in saying
\"GO YOU MIGHTY SEA EAGLES\" .

A good debate and a top closing comment!

I wish I had concentrated more in school to have been able to debate like that :D

Instead I debate like Monty Python's 5 min argument.

I wish I had concentrated more in school to have been able to debate like that :D

Instead I debate like Monty Python's 5 min argument.

then pull out a trout and start slapping people with it :D ???

Max described himself as a benefactor which, at the time was basically described to the fanbase as a \"non-involved\" equity partner with a buy out option. The vote for him to get his share of the club went forward on those lines. What has happened since has been different to what was promised.

Business men who become multi's from nothing will very rareley, if ever give away power, they have worked hard to achieve their status. To expect these type of men to be able to walk away from a position influence is naive.

\"GO YOU MIGHTY SEA EAGLES\" .
It's not that Max will 'walk away'. It's that people voted with quite different expectations of what his involvement would be I believe. But you are right, without his money we would be without the likes of BK and no hope for finals football this year.

We shall see what happens with the memberships. I certainly hope there is no need for you to join my dark side. That would be a lose-lose situation.

In conclusion, thank you for a civilised and intelligent discourse. Whilst there are things we agree to disagree on I think it is clear that we both wish to see the club being everything it can be.

I might be a little more impatient though. :evil:

"Manly travelling nicely" Yeah, good one Haig. Where the hell are you now? Pop your head up above the parapet for us will you?

"Manly travelling nicely" "Manly travelling nicely" "Manly travelling nicely" "Manly travelling nicely" "Manly travelling nicely" "Manly travelling nicely" "Manly travelling nicely" "Manly travelling nicely" "Manly travelling nicely" "Manly travelling nicely" "Manly travelling nicely" "Manly travelling nicely" "Manly travelling nicely" "Manly travelling nicely" "Manly travelling nicely" "Manly travelling nicely" "Manly travelling nicely" "Manly travelling nicely"

:lol: :lol::lol: :lol::lol: :lol::lol: :lol::lol: :lol::lol: :lol::lol: :lol::lol: :lol::lol: :lol::lol: :lol::lol: :lol::lol: :lol::lol: :lol::lol: :lol::lol: :lol::lol: :lol::lol: :lol::lol: :lol::lol: :lol::lol: :lol::lol: :lol::lol: :lol::lol: :lol::lol: :lol:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4