A message to the panic merchants and dummy spitters.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Gee I wouldn't call the last 8 years all mediocrity ... yes we have had some poor years but at least two of those years - both semi's against Souths when Jake was sent off and last year when the Suli interference and no try and the Turbo dropped ball we had bloody good seasons. Certainly if Jake is not sent off, that game is different. 2014 we finished second, 2016 we made the semis, 2019 was the Souths/Jake send off game and last year was a great year. Certainly some ordinary years interspersed - totally agree.
2015, 2016, 2018, 2020 We can all agree were failed campaigns.

2019 whilst an admirable effort all things considered, we were never realistically a contender (despite the bad luck against Souths)

2017, 2021 would consider positive in where we finished, again never really in contention (last year's top 4 finish was a massive overachievement imo) - in both of these reasonably successful years, our defence was certainly not worthy of top 4

2022...well we can see where this is heading

My point: whilst I agree there were highlights, we were never a chance of ever winning a premiership. That is my definition of 'mediocre'

I agree with this with the caveat that like in real life some kind of social etiquette needs to apply. Say like someone posting negative crap every 5 seconds when we are losing a game. That’s bloody annoying and inconsiderate and should be branded. It’s like if you constantly fart at the dinner table at family dinners you will certainly be branded and your behaviour will be constrained even though farting is natural and technically can not hurt you. 😀
for sure. i realise all environments set there own barometers but should they be set by the people who yell louder. this is often seen as a bad thing when paul kent does it while others who use the same tactic see themselves as being positive peacekeepers because they believe they are right

the farty arses have no place in a respectful dinner table, but if the body odour , plumber cracks, cheese feet, window lickers start setting the tone that isnt social etiquette. closer to ignorance if you ask me and that manifests itself in many ways

there are plenty of things that annoy me on here but i try to explain myself, ask questions, see if the positive powers can teach but are rarely there when it matters. sometime people just want to whinge and they are dressed as positive and negative, but its still a whinge. how can someone judge others if they dont really know themselves and admit who they are, but even better talk footy and leave judgement to sundays

I can see a long and fruitful life of disagreement and hearty keyboard conflict in our future Pete.

Obviously given pretty well everything I say is countered with a negative on your side, you enjoy sitting at one end of the rainbow ( the brown smelly end) while I like to sit at the other.

That's cool. we all have our opinions and feelings so power to you.

If I were to address your points I would probably double down on the fact Penrith ( a side that's lost probably 6 times in 2 years) having scored their first Prem in 20 years in QLD returns home in front of a sellout and plays a special special game of footy. Not sure you watched it but if you think they didn't lift for that game you're kidding yourself. That side in round one was the side that smashed Melbourne and I'm not referring to Nathan Cleary in the least. It's cultural, it's built, and in that playing group at the moment it's scary.

next is the the big D in the corner.

Lets deep dive into some stats because I'm sure you like stats.

out of the 10 games and 40 tries you talk about 29 were scored in 5 rounds. Shocking yes but hang on.

5 v the panthers on their turf in round 1 ( see above for that one)
5 v rooters at the SCG
6 V sharks at shark park ( 6 tries in 40 min - anomaly moment)
7 v the rabbits on the central coast ( v 12 men for 70 min)
6 v broncos at Suncorp ( at night, home game for them, huge result)

see any themes there?

exactly!

Apart from the broncos all against teams going pretty bloody well on their home grounds. All night games. 2 against last year's GF teams. rooters and sharks are going pretty well. we take OUR home game to Brisbane for magic round (great idea not)....

we have issues. we need to start firing. we need fit players. we need some LUCK!

So yes Pete you are correct we have let in 40 tries and that's not good enough. But 29 of them in 4 1/2 matches of footy gives some clarity.

Of course its probably easier just to spout off about the Dogs and Hasler so fill ya boots buddy.
Yeah I get it, it's all excusable... BTW I would consider Souths, Broncos, Sharks as top 8 sides (not top 4 this year). We should also be a top 8 side right? So letting in 6-7 tries against each of these teams seems reasonable to you? I notice that when we lose, we ALWAYS lose BIG. Does this not highlight a deeper issue possibly?

Anyway, there's nothing I would love more than to be proven wrong and see our team again reach the top...

for sure. i realise all environments set there own barometers but should they be set by the people who yell louder. this is often seen as a bad thing when paul kent does it while others who use the same tactic see themselves as being positive peacekeepers because they believe they are right

the farty arses have no place in a respectful dinner table, but if the body odour , plumber cracks, cheese feet, window lickers start setting the tone that isnt social etiquette. closer to ignorance if you ask me and that manifests itself in many ways

there are plenty of things that annoy me on here but i try to explain myself, ask questions, see if the positive powers can teach but are rarely there when it matters. sometime people just want to whinge and they are dressed as positive and negative, but its still a whinge. how can someone judge others if they dont really know themselves and admit who they are, but even better talk footy and leave judgement to sundays
Lots of deep thinking mate. What I think you are referring too is happening everywhere. The loudest voices creating the rules and limits. Some call it cancel culture. I am passionate like most others on here about the team etc but footy and sites like this are a good escape. Things can get heated and passionate on here but as soon as I turn the computer off or log off it completely all disappears and escapes my mind. Sure this does not mean you get personal. As human beings we are all judging in one way or another. You make a judgement when you cross the road, choose what to eat for breakfast etc etc it is part of who we all are. We are forever labelling whether we are aware of it or not. We would not survive if we were not forever judging.

2015, 2016, 2018, 2020 We can all agree were failed campaigns.

2019 whilst an admirable effort all things considered, we were never realistically a contender (despite the bad luck against Souths)

2017, 2021 would consider positive in where we finished, again never really in contention (last year's top 4 finish was a massive overachievement imo) - in both of these reasonably successful years, our defence was certainly not worthy of top 4

2022...well we can see where this is heading

My point: whilst I agree there were highlights, we were never a chance of ever winning a premiership. That is my definition of 'mediocre'

mate! you are acting way too happy! stop it.

I too enjoyed last year. some of the best footy any NRL side has played.

2019 was so close to being very different until the ref decided it.

2014 should have been ours. again stolen with one bad ref decision on the non forward pass from Maloney.

we beat Parra 50 nill in that time when I was actually back in Aus and at Brookie. what a day.

we beat the dogs 66 nill.

some good times.
yes I am sorry - I need to be more doom and gloom. I disagree completely with Pete... no way were we no chance to win it all last year and in 2019. We were every chance both years. I certainly dont think we overachieved last year at all. I think the roster with the injury gods on our side is a top 4 side - plain and simple. I certainly don't see 4 years out of 8 making the semis and three of those years where we were huge chances anywhere near mediocre. There are probably 13 other clubs who would love to have had that record.

Yeah I get it, it's all excusable... BTW I would consider Souths, Broncos, Sharks as top 8 sides (not top 4 this year). We should also be a top 8 side right? So letting in 6-7 tries against each of these teams seems reasonable to you? I notice that when we lose, we ALWAYS lose BIG. Does this not highlight a deeper issue possibly?

Anyway, there's nothing I would love more than to be proven wrong and see our team again reach the top...
Souths 12 men. Always going to loose at the end of the game.
Sharks 40 min of madness. Didn't score in second half.
Broncs just a bad night at the office.

3 results and 40% of our tries against.

Its not great no but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Panic merchants, dummy spitters? Lol, is it all really so hard to understand?

Outrage, anger, vitriol, even depression, are very human responses to feeling let down or cheated.

Personally, the times I recall feeling most deflated by a Manly failure are when, without realising, I have most needed their success. Typically times when my own life was somehow frustrating or unsatisfying, empty, regretful.

Despite never having even played for Manly, at quite an early age (and probably a significant age for emotional development) I unwittingly (recklessly?) attached my emotional stability to that marvellous, admirable and winning organisation, the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles. Even though the players’ performance in a game was always entirely beyond my own ability to influence!

Reckless indeed. Desperate even? And utterly human, to search for something beyond my immediate self to identify with, to belong to, to validate me.

Nowadays after each disappointing loss I am more likely to isolate and try to repair my aching psyche by finding something else to think about. Get over it relatively quickly, really. But I understand those who need to vent and I feel for them for the pain their rage is expressing.

I suspect those who most stridently call out the terminal shortcomings of players and continue to predict the abject failure of the team are unconsciously trying to insulate their own emotional wellbeing by pointing out (including to themselves) how absurd it is to attach one’s very happiness to such a deficient and incompetent rabble.

And I agree!

So let's just simply rejoice in our various all-too-human behaviours and patterns. Sure, there is a time and place for conscious attempts at rational decision making, but that's probably not when getting into the footy. And after last week I have merely the barest a glimmer of hope we'll beat the Eels. And if we don't I'm giving up my hopes for premiership success this year. I'll need to, for my own well-being :)

Lots of deep thinking mate. What I think you are referring too is happening everywhere. The loudest voices creating the rules and limits. Some call it cancel culture. I am passionate like most others on here about the team etc but footy and sites like this are a good escape. Things can get heated and passionate on here but as soon as I turn the computer off or log off it completely all disappears and escapes my mind. Sure this does not mean you get personal. As human beings we are all judging in one way or another. You make a judgement when you cross the road, choose what to eat for breakfast etc etc it is part of who we all are. We are forever labelling whether we are aware of it or not. We would not survive if we were not forever judging.
very cool points. please dont think i am directing any of this your way. i just enjoyed your analogy and went with the chat

the term people in glass houses has been around since windows got greedy and demanded more exposure i presume, so its not a new concept at all. just **** tonnes or irony with a new names and labels for the same cycles that repeat themselves.

i rarely dwell on footy results. its a game im passionate about but when the tv goes off, its off.
the forum is what you make it. i enjoy it for all of the lessons/facts/jibberish and footy stuff it provides. there are plenty of people on here id like to buy a beer for and chat with, some because they seem cool, some because it would be cool to do so and some are just funnier drunk

I agree with this with the caveat that like in real life some kind of social etiquette needs to apply. Say like someone posting negative crap every 5 seconds when we are losing a game. That’s bloody annoying and inconsiderate and should be branded. It’s like if you constantly fart at the dinner table at family dinners you will certainly be branded and your behaviour will be constrained even though farting is natural and technically can not hurt you. 😀

I like to think I am a reasonably educated and "life" experienced person .. moderate in all things and kind to women, children and small animals

But I can't for all the 2 short legged haggis roaming the highlands ... understand how anybody can achieve happiness or satisfaction watching a game with a phone in hand .. waiting breathlessly to type .. "he dropped the ****ing ball the useless flop" .. to be read by other people watching the same game with their phone in their hands to take their eyes of the game to read it ..

No wonder they then come on here and sprout nonSense about moving Cuthbetson to a wing ..

I like to think I am a reasonably educated and "life" experienced person .. moderate in all things and kind to women, children and small animals

But I can't for all the 2 short legged haggis roaming the highlands ... understand how anybody can achieve happiness or satisfaction watching a game with a phone in hand .. waiting breathlessly to type .. "he dropped the ****ing ball the useless flop" .. to be read by other people watching the same game with their phone in their hands to take their eyes of the game to read it ..

No wonder they then come on here and sprout nonSense about moving Cuthbetson to a wing ..
well done, needed to be said. i often wonder this also . i try to catch up on the thread at half time but rarely get close. i always pause the game for 10 minutes so i dont have to watch conversions and listen to dribble .

very cool points. please dont think i am directing any of this your way. i just enjoyed your analogy and went with the chat

the term people in glass houses has been around since windows got greedy and demanded more exposure i presume, so its not a new concept at all. just **** tonnes or irony with a new names and labels for the same cycles that repeat themselves.

i rarely dwell on footy results. its a game im passionate about but when the tv goes off, its off.
the forum is what you make it. i enjoy it for all of the lessons/facts/jibberish and footy stuff it provides. there are plenty of people on here id like to buy a beer for and chat with, some because they seem cool, some because it would be cool to do so and some are just funnier drunk
Agree, I suspect already many of posts during and after a game are made when we have had a few drinks. I know I have.

Thank, ... the #@# that's is not to be named I'm not the only one, thankyou for pointing that out.
I get the sh1ts when family try to talk while watching the game let alone typing text.

Understanding that premiership years are the best you must be dead if you did not enjoy last year - for me it was as good as any year we had especially considering the state of the world etc
Last year was good and certainly the best since 2013 or even 2014 when we came 2nd BUT there was always this issue of being nowhere near competative with the top 4 or 5. A fit and full strength Roosters would have knocked us out in week 2 last year.

Panic merchants, dummy spitters? Lol, is it all really so hard to understand?

Outrage, anger, vitriol, even depression, are very human responses to feeling let down or cheated.

Personally, the times I recall feeling most deflated by a Manly failure are when, without realising, I have most needed their success. Typically times when my own life was somehow frustrating or unsatisfying, empty, regretful.

Despite never having even played for Manly, at quite an early age (and probably a significant age for emotional development) I unwittingly (recklessly?) attached my emotional stability to that marvellous, admirable and winning organisation, the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles. Even though the players’ performance in a game was always entirely beyond my own ability to influence!

Reckless indeed. Desperate even? And utterly human, to search for something beyond my immediate self to identify with, to belong to, to validate me.

Nowadays after each disappointing loss I am more likely to isolate and try to repair my aching psyche by finding something else to think about. Get over it relatively quickly, really. But I understand those who need to vent and I feel for them for the pain their rage is expressing.

I suspect those who most stridently call out the terminal shortcomings of players and continue to predict the abject failure of the team are unconsciously trying to insulate their own emotional wellbeing by pointing out (including to themselves) how absurd it is to attach one’s very happiness to such a deficient and incompetent rabble.

And I agree!

So let's just simply rejoice in our various all-too-human behaviours and patterns. Sure, there is a time and place for conscious attempts at rational decision making, but that's probably not when getting into the footy. And after last week I have merely the barest a glimmer of hope we'll beat the Eels. And if we don't I'm giving up my hopes for premiership success this year. I'll need to, for my own well-being :)

Nice story. nice share. i must admit my early years were similar in how i found and relied on manly for some life satisfaction. lived in housos at eastlakes and a mate gave me a jersey hand me down in 1973. a good time to start watching those colours in retrospect and it gave me something to cling to when life was ****e

I generally find hatred for anything or anyone ugly. the LOL at parra threads and hate barrett threads are not my go although ive probably dabbled in them.

People think i am a hater but its all footy. i dont make **** up ,its my opinion i provide reasoning, examples and have been shouted down more times than i care to remember without the same opportunities, but i listen, try to mend bridges and try to set up threads to allow others to show me there views. the thread the other day about forwards and halfback and the grind was actually a social experiment by me so for once i did have an agenda, other than to see how manly could improve but also to allow me to better understand the people i share the forum with

I did despise the storm for a bit but i was a lightweight in the company i kept at the time. going to the footy in large supporter groups was both beautiful and ugly when you see how some people react to a loss live

these days i have time, enjoy footy too much and live in Adelaide and have had a few injuries over the last few months so i have been frequent. i have a parra mate here and yesterday i had to explain to him how teams are built around the spine so he isnt passionate and the chat is , well he didnt know the spine thing

the game itself, doesnt really affect me anymore although last season was really good mentally , more so for the state of the world than the game. It was something to look forward too. If i may quote Jacques from the simpsons. a true ladies man. its better than the deed, its better than the memory. its the AN TIC I PATION. and thats what i love about the forum

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4