A message to the panic merchants and dummy spitters.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Fair enough! It appears harder being optimistic after some setbacks than pessimistic. Say a optimist speaks up after a game we lose and gets hosed down by the more pessimistic members. The optimist calls out the pessimists as they believe it’s to early to throw the baby out with the bath water. The pessimist’s explodes!!! and so does the thread. Kaboom 🤯
If Manly keep losing the optimist gets smashed by the pessimists. If Manly win all is forgiven and peace returns to the forum. It’s so much easier being pessimistic if Manly lose you can bitch and moan if we win you celebrate! 😀. I honestly think we have some solid foundations still in place if managed the right way. Did we play like crap on the weekend? Absolutely!! we expected to beat the broncos the same lazy way we beat the tigers the week before.
This is about my 15th year on ST.

I’m far from the longest serving member as it was going for quite some years when I was in the ( then ) clubs official forum.

It was considered a place where the rebels went to bicker and talk **** because they could AND the clubs own forum was heavily moderated.

Let me tell you that it was the same when I started , the same in the middle and exactly the same now!!

It’s the very DNA of the joint

You just have to embrace it.

This is about my 15th year on ST.

I’m far from the longest serving member as it was going for quite some years when I was in the ( then ) clubs official forum.

It was considered a place where the rebels went to bicker and talk **** because they could AND the clubs own forum was heavily moderated.

Let me tell you that it was the same when I started , the same in the middle and exactly the same now!!

It’s the very DNA of the joint

You just have to embrace it.
All good mate. I respect your wisdom and experience. I also accept the status quo and will not complain if I get belted if we keep losing. All part of the territory but more importantly this is the same in most walks of life. GO MANLY .

All good mate. I respect your wisdom and experience. I also accept the status quo and will not complain if I get belted if we keep losing. All part of the territory but more importantly this is the same in most walks of life. GO MANLY .
The world is full of

Pessimism and Optimism

Neither is right or wrong , it’s just kind of “ the way things roll”.

We have plenty to work on and need to improve if we are to make a fist of this season.

We seem fairly predictable in attack and seems our mental strength is lacking so we crumble hard when things go against us.

The good news is we are playing poorly and are 5 from 5 and 2 points off the top 4 so we are still in the mix.

Time for Dessie and the team to lift and hopefully it starts with Parra!!!
Yep, history tells us that you win half your games you should make the top 8.

For and against will fluctuate over the season but means diddly squat if you don't win at least half your games.

Look at Parra, beat both Storm and Panthers but effectively gave those points back against the Tigers and the Sharks so the net gain is 0.
Look at the Sharks, beat the Parra and have performed admirably but have lost twice to the Raiders.
We haven't exactly coughed up 2pts that could be regared as gimmes.

Beat the teams you're supposed to beat with a hiccup along the way and maybe jag a win you're not expected to.

When you play teams is a key too, we play the Warriors pre Origin 1 so will most likely be sans DCE, Turbo and maybe Jake with the Tigers straight after so most likely no Turbo there.
That's two games against opposition we're expected to beat but they won't be Origin affected.

Then we play both the Cowboys and Storm before and after Origin 2, but it's played on the Sunday so I don't think we have to be without those three for the Cowboys but back up v the Storm.
We back up after Origin 3 v the Knights, again a team we should beat at home.
4 out of 5 home games that will be Origin affected, is 3/5 a pass mark then?

Not making excuses but this is where you just need to win ugly, get through, win the games you're expected to.
Finish as high as you can, as long as you've got your key players and as close to your top 17 at the back end you're in with a show.

Regardless of what we think of Harper, Parker and Saab, they were part of our top 17 plus no Schu, Paseka that's 5/17 out, six if you throw in Lawton but like last year we've seen the emergence of Tui and Koula to kind of balance that.

The next 5 or 6 weeks may just tell u where we're at.

agree Red P ,
better to be an optimist who gets disappointed than a pessimist who has no hope
Go Manly
Totally totally agree there and what is worse an optimist with no idea or a pessimist with no idea - we all have no idea on here - absolutely none but I would rather be someone who thinks the glass is always half full albeit with a dose of realism than a pessimist who is all doom and gloom with no idea

Well done @Ryan. We all have differing opinions and we don't have to all agree with each other and thats what makes silvertails interesting to read at times, lets get back to talking about footy.

So who are they? the options are pretty thin

Offer Payne Haas 800k? David Klemmer 400k if Knights dont want anymore? NAS 2024?
Hope Manase gets off? what other quality hookers are available on market?
Herbie Farnworth is the only centre of note available for 2023. Stephen Crichton / Matt Burton 2024?
NAS would be a great pick up
And now that Twenty’s gone I hear Burton might look to leave. He’s quality

Friday nite is a 50/50 game decided by playing angry with fire and energy, rather than pretty football.
Eels will test the shells early and if soft, Brown and co will smell it and embarrass Manly right through the heart....the outside backs will of course get the blame as always, but the real damage even against Brisbane was a soft, unwilling middle.
Anyways, this negative panic merchant tips a close contest and much more committed Manly side.

Not scoring a single point was the biggest concern for me against the Broncs , realize that a lot depends on Turbo 's dynamic type engagement when he can produce it but side last season in particular was still showing some really well constructed attack even when Turbo was absent . Fluency and attacking structure has been very ordinary to pathetic recently . Taking into account that 3 of the Broncs tries came from kicks and one intercept and that the side hung in there defensively for much of the i st half and with bugger all possession themselves , think that there is still a bit of ticker there . Having two of the most experienced halfs just isn 't cutting it at the moment and the break down and disorganized attack surely can be improved upon . As good as Reyolds was and Broncs quite committed all round , just don 't think that they are a top tier side at the moment . Going to have to be a huge turn around to get back on track , Schuster "s return can certainly help , a fit full back but have to get some much better attack back to be at least competitive again
We only had minimal chances with the ball to apply pressure and we either dropped the ball or made a mistake

But again you can take any point or points in isolation in an attempt to make YOUR point.
Yes D is an issue. Yes we need to tighten up a lot. Yes its an issue.
But in the bigger picture comparing us to the tigers and dogs by picking out one stat where we are deficient is disingenuous.

Let's look at facts.

PENRITH - We played the Penrith side that smashed the storm yesterday. As good as they are they have only really turned it on 3 or 4 times this year. We were hammered.

SHARKS - terrible first half which added to out tries against. We only lost by 12 after sprited second half.

SOUTHS - 12 me for 70 min pretty well explains that

BRONCOS - no excuses. Bad bad bad.

So take this 4 games and you can see where a lot of those tries have been scored.

Facts are we are not in a great head position right now. I can only hope the people in charge can turn it around sooner rather than later. But the Sky isn't falling in just yet.

Perhaps in 2 weeks time I may have a different opinion but I hope not.
Excuses excuses excuses (btw Panthers didn'teven have Cleary when we played them)... as if other teams don't also play the best, suffer injuries, or misfortunes. If letting in 40 tries in 10 games (12th in NRL, behind Barrett's Dogs - the worst year in Hasler's career barring 2020) is just a little rut mostly due to bad luck in your opinion, then we'll just have to agree to disagree champ

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8