A Daily Telegraph Blog on Brett Stewart

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
For those disgusted as I am at the way that the media reported on the Brett Stewart matter and the subsequent farcical treatment from Gallop and the NRL, there is a blog in which Manly (and other fairminded) fans can relate their comments.

http://blogs.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sarrahlemarquand/index.php/dailytelegraph/comments/stewart_held_back_by_the_league_of_non_gentlemen/

At least it is an honest blog - quite well written I think. I wonder if any others will own up in the same way?

I do think we get too much trial by media in which their are no rules other than what the media decides is 'newsworthy'. Not just Stewart but in plenty of other things too.

Comment written

"Well written apology,i just wish other so-called journos would be making the same article from theyre point of view,the veil has been lifted from this great young man and alot of apologies are in order,Especially the likes of David Gallop,Magnay,Vautin amongst a range of others,may god have mercy on theyre pathetic souls and may Brett leave this awful memory behind him"

Lets see if this is published

Pretty sure its their not they're mate? Otherwise a well written response. I hope Magnay and R Wilson get what's coming to them. They were two of the worst in my opinion.

I've sent the article personally to Rebbecca, along with:-

Here is a REAL article, written with honesty, an open mind, and with transparency (a lot could be learnt here):-
What a fair, mature, and obviously balanced woman. Someone who can admit they were wrong, and without
abuse to her readers.

Thank you Rebecca.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

All I did was comment about the article in a fair way.

They don't seem to be publishing reader comments, but here is what I added:

"It was the dubious track record of some of his NRL peers that led many to assume he, too, was guilty..."

Really Sarah?

Can you please name one NRL player who has been convicted anything even remotely similar to what Brett was accused of?

Just one will do.

Good on her for concluding she was bigoted against NRL players, but it seems there is still way to go.

Post  automatically merged: [time]1285973077[/time]

And for those you who may think the media may change as a result of Snake's trial...

Our game's co-owner's news web site has today a front page link to this "story":
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/sydney-confidential/league-star-bad-boys-title-bid/story-e6frewz0-1225932997228

11 comments now up so far.

What refreshing story to see. I just added a comment, not sure how long it takes before they decide whether to publish it.

I posted a reply to the girl who argued that character witness is not real evidence, and pointed out that real evidence is what the prosecution seemed to be lacking, we'll see if it gets published ... doubt it.

In all honesty one of the reasons I don't comment to often on the forum is due to my lack of penmanship and I'm well aware that mediocrity will not be tolerated..lol

Hi Sarah and let me say straight up how much I appreciate someone taking the time to allow others to voice their opinions in a public forum.
I work voluntarily for a counselling service and in truth I hear first hand of abhorrent behaviour displayed by some men towards women in society.
My job is not to pass judgement on the perpetrators but to listen and hopefully help clients in taking the first steps in finding a way to continue to rebuild their lives,  conversely I speak to many distraught men who's lives have been shattered by women who have made false accusations regarding sexual misconduct towards their own children out of spite or for monetary gain.

What I do know is that common sense and respect told me it would be improper of me to speculate on the reasons or motives that lead to Brett's trial before he had his day in court.

One hopes that those who had Brett guilty by innuendo and prejudice are feeling some sense of remorse for their actions but I guess time will tell...thank-you  

Brookie4eva link said:
I posted a reply to the girl who argued that character witness is not real evidence, and pointed out that real evidence is what the prosecution seemed to be lacking, we'll see if it gets published ... doubt it.

I made a similar comment in response to her post too.

Also responded to the guy who suggested he was guilty because he spent a lot of money on his defence.  What a moron.

One journo it may be worth emailing is Paul Sheehan who writes for the SMH in their opinion page on Mndays. He often takes a contrary line to other journos (even the Herald) and loves exposing hypocrisy. I'm not a relative or anything but sick of journalistic double standards. Even today R. Wilson's column has nothing about Brett. Fitzsimons in the SMH, always quick to expose league's boofheads does not even mention Brett at all. This is a great injustice and I hope someone can expose their hypocrisy over this.

I never get involved in blogs but in this case I think all of us should make an effort.

We should put out some sane & sensible responses to some of silly comments posted out there.

Calm logic is firmly on Brett's side and we should keep that in mind when drafting our responses.

This really is a way we can help clear his name, by throwing some light on how the lingering public suspicions are really based on ignorance.

So far I added my own comment, and also replied to the person who said "2 things bother me about this case" and also replied to 'Brett from Wollongong'. Neither published yet.

manlyborn link said:
In all honesty one of the reasons I don't comment to often on the forum is due to my lack of penmanship and I'm well aware that mediocrity will not be tolerated..lol

Hi Sarah and let me say straight up how much I appreciate someone taking the time to allow others to voice their opinions in a public forum.
I work voluntarily for a counselling service and in truth I hear first hand of abhorrent behaviour displayed by some men towards women in society.
My job is not to pass judgement on the perpetrators but to listen and hopefully help clients in taking the first steps in finding a way to continue to rebuild their lives,  conversely I speak to many distraught men who's lives have been shattered by women who have made false accusations regarding sexual misconduct towards their own children out of spite or for monetary gain.

What I do know is that common sense and respect told me it would be improper of me to speculate on the reasons or motives that lead to Brett's trial before he had his day in court.

One hopes that those who had Brett guilty by innuendo and prejudice are feeling some sense of remorse for their actions but I guess time will tell...thank-you 

Good enough penmanship in my books. Post away champ.

Volley link said:
[quote author=manlyborn link=topic=185655.msg300514#msg300514 date=1285981415]

My job is not to pass judgement on the perpetrators but to listen and hopefully help clients in taking the first steps in finding a way to continue to rebuild their lives,  conversely I speak to many distraught men who's lives have been shattered by women who have made false accusations regarding sexual misconduct towards their own children out of spite or for monetary gain.

Good enough penmanship in my books.
[/quote]

I agree. Don't let your thoughts of supposed "lack of penmanship" stop you from posting manlyborn.

Well written.  But you're writing for the publication that was most rabid about trashing him in the days after the allegations came to line.  Front page banner headlines screaming his guilt, and months of referring to him as "disgraced footballer".

If the Daily Telegraph had a conscience they would provide him with a front page photo under the screaming headline "Sorry, we were wrong".  This is a tangible and achievable way for your paper to redress the wrongs done on him, and the tarnishing you gave him in the public eye.

I'm not holding my breath though.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4