7 pages wiped without a trace

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Matabele said:
bones said:
Matabele said:
bones said:
However I just wanted to make my point that I still believe I was wrongly banned .....and I didn't particularly care if a Bulldogs fan got banned in the process as I don't believe they should be here anyway.
Get over it. It's not as though the site owes you anything.

Get over yourself it's not your site. The site is awesome because of Dan, not the likes of you.

Let's take the inflammatory trading of barbs out of the picture. It's a shame you feel fit to keep on complaining and reporting threads to make a point. The whole point all mods are making in his thread is we are a bit irked of being volunteer kindergarten cops. So please don't.

As for some of the relationships on this site. There is a core group who were here on day one. We met here but over the years our relationships have gone far beyond these forums. we've housed each other at times, celebrated milestones, been there in good and bad times. We've become friends and mates. That's not to say it's an exclusive clique. The site evolves all the time, none more so than when MWSE shut down. And I hope this site fosters much more of that kind of kinship and relationship[/b].

I'm pleased to read you taking that point of view because I picked on in the past that you seemed to be unhappy with the amount of "new" fans to this site.

Masked Eagle said:
And I hope this site fosters much more of that kind of kinship and relationship[/b].
I'm pleased to read you taking that point of view because I picked on in the past that you seemed to be unhappy with the amount of "new" fans to this site.

When the MWSE forums closed down there was a large influx of new posters, and there had been several years of tension and conflict between some posters on silvertails and over at MWSE. Some MWSE people refused to post here because of perceived negativity (surprise!) until they had no choice. And some silvertails bods, myself included, were known for guerilla type shoot and runs over at MWSE.

Like the influx of any large migrant population there are initial tensions and bedding down problems but most MWSE folk seem well assimilated now. I'd hate to have seen the last 5 weeks if there was still the traditional Silvertails/MWSE divide.

I should also note the friendships I mentioned above are not just about the first day silvertails. Many have joined subsequently and become friends.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Chip and Chase said:
You can't have it both ways. On one hand you want to be all grown up and be advocates for free speech and then as soon as someone posts something "offensive" (however tongue in cheek or innocent) we get calls of racism and political correctness and criticism of moderators for not doing anything. I for one aren't going to waste my time sifting through every post and delete them individually (especially when the ironstine complaining quotes the offensive post so its repeated again for all to see). You want to whinge then the whole thread gets sent to the bin.
C & C I accept that the role of moderator can be tricky at times. And to the extent I may have been 'sniping' at moderators lately, can I balance that by repeating my view (expressed several times in the past) that the mods on this site do a brilliant job, and the forum policy of minimum censorship makes the site the vibrant place it is.

Mata makes the point that we are in an extreme time. This is certainly true, but in my experience these are the times when fans most want to discuss what is happening. Through discussion some important concepts are inevitably raised. Open discussion allows these topics to be examined and allows faulty reasoning to be exposed. The danger in wiping entire topics, rather than individual offensive posts, is that it has the effect of making certain topics 'taboo'. In the case of racism, as an example, making it a taboo and preventing discussion of it is not a neutral position. Because racism relies on ignorance to survive, making it a banned topic actually allows it to persist unchallenged. That is my view, anyway.

In any case, as both C & C and Matabele concede, sifting through posts in such a high volume period is a mammoth task. However, for a mod to proclaim that reading the posts is a waste of time, and a complaint will result in deleting the whole thread, raises some alarm bells. It is understandable if the current mods are overworked and jaded. However it would be a mighty shame if the openness of this forum is diminished as a result.

and the last time that I went through a thread and deleted much of it's content ("New signing - Liam Roach" thread) because it was offensive and off-topic there was nothing but complaining by some because it was deleted.

Mods seem to not be able to take a trick these days. We get calls to delete threads and when we do, we get criticised for doing so. We get calls to delete thread content and when we do we again get criticised and the same goes if we close a thread. We can't win and as that is the case, and it is proven that we can't please everybody, you all will just have to take whatever decision that we make on the chin and just accept it as the way that it is going to be.

Hopefully things will settle down and we can all move on to better days and the forum can get back to it's normal free flowing self where we don't have to be forced into having to moderate it's content like we have had to over the last month or so.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Stevo said:
Jatz Crackers said:
Stevo said:
Um Mah..... Kiwi Eagle swore! lol

MadMarcus said:
This post doesn't belong in this thread. The thread is about b!tching, not football. Keep on topic please.

These two posts above could well be the best in this thread.

Do i get a prize?

2 tix with Capt Kissass to Bulldogs v Souffs at ANZ

So it's not worth anything then?

It's not too bad. 2nd place prize - 2 tix with Capt Kissass to dogs v souths at ANZ + admission to after game function for player autograph session.

Look, sometimes there are a number of posts within a thread that need to be edited or deleted, usually it gets to the point, where it is just easier to delete the entire thread rather than delete individual posts. Please remember that all of the moderators have lives and jobs, this is just something they do in their spare time and do it for free. Silvertails does not make a whole lot of money and most of the money that the site does make, goes back into the cost of keeping the site up, though I admit it has financed at least one case of beer for me.

Being a moderator is a thankless task.

One of the best things about Rugby League is how tribal and how passionate fans are about their team and about the sport. Unfortunately when this passion is put into the world of online media, it can sometimes quite quickly swell to a point that is inappropriate. The anonymity of the web, often allows people to express themselves somewhat more robustly than they otherwise would. I liken it to a few pints of beer, dutch courage if you will.

We have an obligation to keep the site accessible to all, we don't want to alienate any group, but natural that is often a somewhat impossible task, because we are talking about human beings and passionate ones at that. It would be great to include younger generations on the site but that is somewhat impossible, and it seems that we sometimes forget that the things we write on this site are viewable to anyone and everyone that wants to read it, and at times this site descends into the realm of men.

None of that is ever deliberate but it happens, and when it does, it is unbecoming not only to you but to everyone that is associated with the fan base. You are responsible for your own actions but sometimes your actions reflect on others.
So what I am saying here is that whilst you may want to act a fool, throw barbs, swear and carry on, it may often be worth stopping and considering how that makes the rest of the Sea Eagles supporters, including children look.

Many of us found "Tim and Tom" funny on the Matty Johns show, but did it ever occur to you that, that is exactly how we are perceived by other fans, are you happy with that? I am certainly not.

So rather than carry on like a fool and have the few ruin it for the many, as is the case with the thread in question, why not think about what you are doing, and act in a normal, rational and polite manner, rather than complain about the consequences of not doing so, once they impact you.

I would also suggest that anyone who was unhappy with the thread being deleted, not turn in on the moderators who were well within their rights to delete the post and issue warnings, but instead turn your ire towards those that caused the moderators to take that action!

Why don't we as a fan base try to change the image that others have of us, by speaking up against certain behavior rather than condoning it.

The moderators aren't the enemy, they are just normal manly fans in a tough spot, they may agree with some of the things that are said, but know that they aren't things that should be said.

In other words, stop acting like children and start acting in a manner that you want to be treated.

Some people like to re- read their posts, and other peoples responses to them, to make themselves feel all warm, fuzzy and loved. There's nothing better than being told how funny you are whislt dumping tons of ****e on someone else. There may be a little bully in all of us.
Go the mods, and thank you for deleting some of my less memorable dribble. You guys do a great job!

images

Sorry if I offended anyone through the seven pages and also apologise that this is a bit topic, but we have spent years trying to change the communities perception of those with a disability.

The Spastic Centre, after 60 years changed their name to the Cerebral Palsy Alliance, it argues that these days the word spastic has too many negative connotations, and after reading the comment from Captain Hero, it just confirmed what was thought, and I seen red.

Most of these kids with CP are very intelligent, my grandson adores Manly and going to games at Brookie when we can get there. He is 2011 Next Generation Member of the Manly Sea Eagles and has earnt his membership wings for 2012. His favourite player is Brett Stewart.

He is fortunate that he only has mild CP, so he can most things normal kids do, he doesn't ask to be treated different, but like all kids when they are the brunt of peoples "humour", it hurts them.

So to you Captain, I think you mentioned you have children, how would you feel if they were the brunt of peoples sick sense of humour?

To you Mods, you have a very difficult job and I for one appreciate what you do. It like referees, everyone criticises them but they wouldn't take the job on.

Go Manly

Earnie the Eagle said:
Sorry if I offended anyone through the seven pages and also apologise that this is a bit topic, but we have spent years trying to change the communities perception of those with a disability.

The Spastic Centre, after 60 years changed their name to the Cerebral Palsy Alliance, it argues that these days the word spastic has too many negative connotations, and after reading the comment from Captain Hero, it just confirmed what was thought, and I seen red.

Most of these kids with CP are very intelligent, my grandson adores Manly and going to games at Brookie when we can get there. He is 2011 Next Generation Member of the Manly Sea Eagles and has earnt his membership wings for 2012. His favourite player is Brett Stewart.

He is fortunate that he only has mild CP, so he can most things normal kids do, he doesn't ask to be treated different, but like all kids when they are the brunt of peoples "humour", it hurts them.

So to you Captain, I think you mentioned you have children, how would you feel if they were the brunt of peoples sick sense of humour?

To you Mods, you have a very difficult job and I for one appreciate what you do. It like referees, everyone criticises them but they wouldn't take the job on.

Go Manly

This is a subject close to my heart also. My attitudes on the use of words like "spastic" and "retard" have changed greatly.
My sister in law is uniquely disabled with a number of different issues that I won't go into here (though he biggest in my opinion is that she is a Parra supporter).

Anyway words like spastic and retard just don't enter my vocabulary anymore and I am now offended when I hear them

A friend of mine since childhood has mild CP, one night we were out and someone used "spastic" as an insult, he over heard them and politely said

"please don't use that term, in not ashamed of my condition - but I am ashamed that it is now associated with a moron like you."

Classy way to shut the guy up - and sure enough it did

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7