6 again rule. I haven’t the foggiest

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Hibyemama

Reserve Grader
Can someone please explain how this rule works? On countless occasions I see manly players been penalised for staying in the tackle too long. However, opposition players lay all over our players for even a longer duration yet do not get penalised.. terribly confused.

i like to see one game since round 2 this year where manly has been given more 6 again than the opposing team.

not only have we had key injuries but I really feel we are not good at the new 6 again rule.

not only have we had key injuries but I really feel we are not good at the new 6 again rule.
We don't hold the ball for long enough to put pressure on the opposition to make them give up 6 again by slowing us down. Even some games when we've held the ball for a decent period the other team has too, and we've been first to blink by giving up possession.
We gave up possession very meekly several times against Storm and Des was furious about it, it is amateur hour.
Having said all that, the 6 again is very subjective and I agree there's been times we should have got the call and didn't, and plenty where I'm yelling 'why did they get an extra 6 against us??' It is such a massive advantage, hence so many games end up with big winning margins.
My guess, anyway.

We don't hold the ball for long enough to put pressure on the opposition to make them give up 6 again by slowing us down. Even some games when we've held the ball for a decent period the other team has too, and we've been first to blink by giving up possession.
We gave up possession very meekly several times against Storm and Des was furious about it, it is amateur hour.
Having said all that, the 6 again is very subjective and I agree there's been times we should have got the call and didn't, and plenty where I'm yelling 'why did they get an extra 6 against us??' It is such a massive advantage, hence so many games end up with big winning margins.
My guess, anyway.
perhaps our 6-10 record is a result of the 6 again rule. Under the old rules, our style of play would have earn us a few more wins I reckon.

6 again rule has killed us. Last year we stood offside all game. Up & in defense rattled the opposition ball players and we wrestled/lied in the ruck. We frustrated and niggled our way to victory. Doesn’t cut it now and we haven’t adjusted. New rule really exposes our lack of speed.

I hate it and it simply gives the referees a free ticket to smack one team and often not the other. It is a game changer for the worst and causing plenty of injuries. It was suppose to reduce the wrestle but guess what it hasn't - I still see tacklers lying on the tackled player looking up at the referee waiting to be told to get off - the only person not allowed to hang on is Jake.

Last edited:
I think Jake is unfairly targeted with this rule. He only needs to look like he might tackle a player and EVERY ref yells “get off him Jake” and then gets the six again faster than any other player. I swear he’s top of every ref tip sheet. And that sucks.

Last edited:
The idea behind the rules are great, as helps the game flow and is designed to both make the game a better spectacle and reduce the teams who defensively stifle the attackers momentum.
Totally agree we have been shafted and the referee has very inconsistent calls that have burn't manly in most games...at vital times.
I do however have the opinion that Manly do not apply pressure on the referee's very well, as say other Top sides...even NZ of late, struggle in the tackle to win the ground war and find feet to play the ball quickly, manly players even after a powerful charge, kind of lay limp looking at the ref and calling for a penalty. The fact we are not fighting in this area not only reduces the chance of "Winning" a penaly, but reflects on the players looking for a way out, rather than fighting for a way out.

Is there any after match stats on these rulings? When we get them in appears to be on tackle 1 and we're like 10 metres from our own tryline.

If we had some mapping tool it will tell an interesting story. When it happened, why the team was given 6 again and field position.

It's like the salary cap a complete mystery!

Have hated this rule from the outset. And if it was just about us not adapting we wouldn’t see other sides having blowouts against them (eels top 4 losing 38-0) They have underestimated the momentum impact of this imo and it seems to be taking the closeness of the contest out of games. I’m not that interested in watching touch football type games. The 6 again rule and siren reeks of that.

Melbourne get it set after set, then no payback to manly for similar wrestling tactics by melbourne
Totally agree Shoe in the sense that Melbourne were not penalised for holding on as long...if not longer in many tackles....but their players were fighting to play the ball, while Manly don't....as well as Cam Smiths voice is consantly in their ears as an extra official.

We dont really fight hard to get up and play the ball either. Teams like the storm really make it hard to slow the play the ball down on them without it being an obvious penalty. We sort of just lay there.

Before the introduction of this rule, games always had a settling in period, where both teams would work out the ref's timing (phrasing) in how long he would allow tackles to last via verbal warnings & eventually a penalty.

Now, under this new rule, instead of verbal warnings culminating in a penalty, 6 agains are given from the first indiscretion so the defending team are on the backfoot from the get go, scrambling to get onside & tackle, resulting in more 6 agains, eventually snowballing into a dearth of possession & fatigue from so much defending.

Before the introduction of this rule, games always had a settling in period, where both teams would work out the ref's timing (phrasing) in how long he would allow tackles to last via verbal warnings & eventually a penalty.
Now, under this new rule, instead of verbal warnings culminating in a penalty, 6 agains are given from the first indiscretion so the defending team are on the backfoot from the get go, scrambling to get onside & tackle, resulting in more 6 agains, eventually snowballing into a dearth of possession & fatigue from so much defending.
Which ultimately results in our one sided contests with large scores and ironically poor spectacles as well as increased fatigue and ensuing injury - imo

Can someone please explain how this rule works? On countless occasions I see manly players been penalised for staying in the tackle too long. However, opposition players lay all over our players for even a longer duration yet do not get penalised.. terribly confused.

i like to see one game since round 2 this year where manly has been given more 6 again than the opposing team.

no ****in idea. At least with a penalty you know whats its for, the 6 to go is a mystery! Hopefully it goes, cant stand it

Agree with everything mentioned about this rule and have no idea when or why a repeat set is being awarded.
Another confusing point to a lesser degree is the late offload.
The ref telling them to let go then a late offload sometimes called back others let go.
Does my head in

Agree about the "late offload"; it's a lottery.
And what about the knock-back rule? Why has this been taken out of the rule book?
I'm sure in each match I see at least six knock-backs-play-ons ruled knock-ons. Not every ball that is mishandled is knocked forward.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7