<3 Roy Masters article on engrish

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Eagle

First Grader
:h: Roy Masters article on engrish

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/how-a-30000-quibble-is-sending-ripples-right-through-rugby-league-20101108-17kjm.html

How a $30,000 quibble is sending ripples right through rugby league Roy Masters
November 9, 2010

The Greg Inglis case is a legal minefield that has already damaged the game's most lethal player and has the potential to blow up the NRL's salary cap rules as well.

When the bill from a Melbourne law firm for defending Inglis in an action over the alleged assault of his girlfriend arrived at Storm headquarters, his manager, Allan Gainey, challenged the cost on behalf of Inglis. He was willing to pay $87,000 of the $117,000 bill, arguing the Storm hired the expensive senior counsel who defended him to protect the name of the club, not the player. It is a specious argument. Inglis obtained a good outcome. He didn't have to enter a plea; he could continue playing football; his reputation is intact.

Advertisement: Story continues below Perhaps he should ask Manly's Brett Stewart, broke after defending his sexual assault case, if $117,000 is a reasonable cost to protect an annual income of $1 million.

The NRL's approach to the case also raises questions because salary cap commissioner Ian Schubert has declared any amount Inglis does not pay is assessable in next year's cap.

No one, including the Storm, who released Inglis to Brisbane, can explain why the $30,000 being challenged could not be included in this year's cap. ''The only answer we have been given is that it is at the discretion of the salary cap auditor,'' a Storm spokesman said.

The bill was incurred this year. Given the massive blow-out in the Storm's salary bill this year, surely an extra $30,000 wouldn't make any difference to the penalties imposed.

As it stands, if the Storm paid the $30,000, it would count in their first-tier cap and mean the club would be forced to shed a player.

So the amount has become a transfer fee in the sense that whichever club secures Inglis must have the amount included in its salary cap for next year.

Yet if an NRL club contracts a player from the English Super League, as South Sydney did with Sam Burgess, while the NRL club must pay any transfer fee involved, it does not count in their salary cap.

In other words, the Rabbitohs didn't have to include the transfer fee levied on Burgess by Bradford in their cap but they must include the fee involved in the possible transfer of Inglis from the Storm.

Who did the deal with Inglis and Souths? Gainey said on Sydney radio yesterday it wasn't him, yet admitted the terms - $300,000 a year - were the same as the Broncos were prepared to pay for Inglis.

And how can the Rabbitohs afford him? Souths chief executive Shane Richardson was quoted at the weekend saying of the club's capacity to sign Inglis: ''I always leave a bit of room to manoeuvre.''

Yet on August 26, he told a Sydney newspaper Souths could not re-sign utility back Luke Capewell because the club had no cap space.

Since making that statement, the Rabbitohs have signed two players, and while there has been speculation they might release forwards Roy Asotasi and Michael Crocker, they must find $300,000 for Inglis.

The Storm's readiness to assist Inglis in his legal action will cause clubs to seriously consider protection of their players in future embarrassments. Given the crazy world of a social media network out of control, this will become a big challenge to club boards.

And if legal expenses of defending a player before the NRL judiciary must be met by the player, how many will plead guilty rather than meet the cost themselves?

The anomalies over ''inherited transfer fees'', such as legal bills, will mean clubs will look to England for more and more players.

As the salary cap drives players to England at increasingly younger ages, they will return well before their use-by date.

Greg Eastwood left the Broncos for the Bulldogs and then moved to Leeds but returns to the Bulldogs without any transfer fees counting in the Canterbury cap and still capable of making a difference at the club that went from first to worst while he was away.

And why have the News Ltd-owned Broncos gone cold on Inglis?

The headline in the city's weekend News Ltd monopoly paper said of Inglis, ''Get Lost''.

The club imposed a deadline on him two weeks ago, then moved it.

The Broncos would be reluctant to take action against the NRL - still half-owned by News Ltd - over its salary cap rules. Perhaps Souths will.

Re: :h: Roy Masters article on engrish

His manager says Inglis stands to make $300,000 per year with Souths, same as Brisbane offered. He does'nt mention the $100,000 a year he gets from Andrew Forrest if he joins Souths, not included under the cap.

well its the best way to beat teh cap, have a private 3rd party pay the player.

thoroughbreds

If only we could get Sarah's husband to be our thoroubred ! She certainly gets a lot of publicity with links to the brand.

Disturbing !
it all smells like Gallop wants souffs to win next year by turning a blind eye to the obvious rorts that Crowe is allowed to get away with

I don't think I could be accused of coming on here and making consistent negative statements so allow me the odd dummy spit.

I'm seriously concerned about our capabilities to remain financially competitive in the current climate and fear we might become the north-side equivalent of the Sharks. I'm not here to have a go at the current administration but a deteriorating home ground, no major sponsor (let alone third party agreements) and no current first grade recruitment after the loss Farrar, Perry, Bailey and Hodkisson is more than a little bit baffling.
Fire away boy's, I'm old enough and ugly enough to cop the hammering that may now come my way..

manlyborn link said:
I don't think I could be accused of coming on here and making consistent negative statements so allow me the odd dummy spit.

I'm seriously concerned about our capabilities to remain financially competitive in the current climate and fear we might become the north-side equivalent of the Sharks. I'm not here to have a go at the current administration but a deteriorating home ground, no major sponsor (let alone third party agreements) and no current first grade recruitment after the loss Farrar, Perry, Bailey and Hodkisson is more than a little bit baffling.
Fire away boy's, I'm old enough and ugly enough to cop the hammering that may now come my way..

Its a worry we all share,hopefully we're just worried about nothing though

manlyborn link said:

mate the  clubs is looking at the future thats why they in sports super  with amp, they do the right thing its the supporters  that bag out their ideas..  e.g pet memberships  is one they trying to get extra money in the place ,  & all you`s do is bag it out, same as sports super.. if you not going to contribute to them dnt sit here telling us how we  dont have money or we might not be around  .. contribute to the club & then it will be..  im  not having a go at you manly born ...

Australia is one of the best placed countries in the world financially. Corporate profits are rising substantially but generally business is cautious. Despite that, what we need from the top office is the ability to get in their ear and get large sponsorship deals signed. That will make more difference than 2000 pet memberships (and I have no criticism of this or other initiatives).

I'm always surprised that we haven't been able to attain a large corporate as a major sponsor for a very long time.

We seem to focus on medium sized enterprise. The problem with that, is that tenure is generally an issue.

Not many small (if you look at Quantum, and Max) or medium sized enterprises can afford the circa $1 million dollar investment.

I'd get on the blower, probably spend $3k-4k in lunches, and bed the large corporates consistently. The club needs to sell a positive ideal (how these corporates can benefit from an association with us), rather than what money they need...as money is not particularly a concern for the bigger boys in town.

Souths sold it to Nab based on "community", and based on "improving youth" etc....THAT should be the focus.

I've said many, MANY times, priorities are out of sync. at Narrabeen...on many levels.

jjai link said:
[quote author=manlyborn link=topic=185920.msg305344#msg305344 date=1289255296]

mate the  clubs is looking at the future thats why they in sports super  with amp, they do the right thing its the supporters  that bag out their ideas..  e.g pet memberships  is one they trying to get extra money in the place ,  & all you`s do is bag it out, same as sports super.. if you not going to contribute to them dnt sit here telling us how we  dont have money or we might not be around  .. contribute to the club & then it will be..  im   not having a go at you manly born ...
[/quote] ManlyBorn is spot on and dreamers like you come up with sports super lol, the facts are we are struggling the ground is a joke, and NO signs of money from federal government. No major sponsor and our 2 major signings for this year are a couple of PNG standard players ( I guess that will make you happy lmfao) . The joke is most people don't want to hear or see the truth, the excuse that we are on the salary cap is wearing thin, with the players we have let go and the fact we tried to sign Burgess it is that we are struggling with finance. It is sad fact that from 1970 to today in November I would already be excited about our chances going into the next season but not this year, the only more disappointing fact is that as fans we have started to except this for a ONCE great club

It may surprise everyone, but Pepsi (Smiths) Head Offices are in the same set of buildings as me. I wrote a very good submission to get Nab to see Pat Wilson (hell, Nab's marketing manager suggested I work for them at the time !).

I'm considering getting off my tuffet, walking straight over there (or contacting them) to see what I can do.

I'd love to see "Smiths" Sea Eagles. And who DOESN'T prefer Pepsi over coke ?

kramer lmao..  ;D  so do we have 2 PNG players?? i didnt knw that ...

Careful Joe you almost made sense there :)

he said PNG standard Jjai, and on this one he is right.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8