2025 recruitment & retention

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Ryan

Journey Man
I wouldn’t be too concerned about how many we have/don’t have in these underage rep sides

We have had quite a few over recent years, who haven’t really amounted to much, and we currently have Lehi Hopoate who didn’t feature in them the past few seasons yet is going very well in first grade

Our last bunch were Tolu Koula, Kaeo Weekes & Samuela Fainu.

We need a complete overhaul in pathways, development, recruitment, retention, because our talent pool has rapidly dried up. I've heard a first hand account from a parent of one of these kids, and it isn't pretty for Manly - AT ALL.

In fact, let's do this:

1st Grade: 8th from 17
NSW Cup: 8th from 13
Jersey Flegg: 6th from 14
SG Ball: 14th from 16
Harold Matts: 7th from 17

Not really ANY teams there setting the standard (all pretty average 6th-14th).

Last edited:

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Our last bunch were Tolu Koula, Kaeo Weekes & Samuela Fainu.

We need a complete overhaul in pathways, development, recruitment, retention, because our talent pool has rapidly dried up. I've heard a first hand account from a parent of one of these kids, and it isn't pretty for Manly - AT ALL.

In fact, let's do this:

1st Grade: 8th from 17
NSW Cup: 8th from 13
Jersey Flegg: 6th from 14
SG Ball: 14th from 16
Harold Matts: 7th from 17

Not really ANY teams there setting the standard (all pretty average 6th-14th).
I was thinking along the lines of when Ben T, Schuster, Albert Hopoate, all the Fainu’s etc were in all these sides, not much has really amounted to anything for us (which may be due to coaching and development, who knows)

The prop Fainu a good example , destroyed everything under age and I’m not sure has even debuted yet

Team results in those grades don’t really matter too much, it’s picking the special talents out of the sides and bringing them through correctly

Frogz

Bencher
Premium Member
I was thinking along the lines of when Ben T, Schuster, Albert Hopoate, all the Fainu’s etc were in all these sides, not much has really amounted to anything for us (which may be due to coaching and development, who knows)

The prop Fainu a good example , destroyed everything under age and I’m not sure has even debuted yet

Team results in those grades don’t really matter too much, it’s picking the special talents out of the sides and bringing them through correctly
But if you havent got any players in these rep squads, where are the "special talents" coming from. We don't have the cash, it would seem, to match it with the best for the best.

The Wheel

https://membership.seaeagles.com.au/
Premium Member
I wonder who found and sourced players like the Stewart's, Matai & others. Who was that and where are they? Also, you're correct, there are absolutely no Manly players in either squad, which is worrisome given our slant for attracting players who are either unwanted, downgraded, can't crack first grade, ageing, injury prone and / or winding down.

Maybe it's time to pull the old Ben Ikin with our roster, and release some of the marquee paid players, so that we can resize / retool, and go in another direction.
Stewart’s were found pre crusher by a RM Keith someone

Smokin Joe

Bencher
But if you havent got any players in these rep squads, where are the "special talents" coming from. We don't have the cash, it would seem, to match it with the best for the best.
If you asked 20 silvertailers to name the best 17 Manly players out of our best 30,you would get 20 different combos,same for selecting an origin side from us.
Why do you think that a couple of selectors haven't overlooked a ****load of deserving players and just selected who is in the pathways instead of selecting on form?
We don't think most rep sides at senior level are correct......
We have seen Lehi and Navale who are special talents come through,they weren't selected for junior origin

Ryan

Journey Man
If you asked 20 silvertailers to name the best 17 Manly players out of our best 30,you would get 20 different combos,same for selecting an origin side from us.
Why do you think that a couple of selectors haven't overlooked a ****load of deserving players and just selected who is in the pathways instead of selecting on form?
We don't think most rep sides at senior level are correct......
We have seen Lehi and Navale who are special talents come through,they weren't selected for junior origin

Tough one mate, because you have to weigh up experience vs. potential, but can I please have a shot?

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jason Saab
03. Tolu Koula
04. Reuben Garrick
05. Tommy Talau
06. Luke Brooks
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Taniela Paseka
09. Jake Simpkin
10. Josh Aloiai
11. Haumole Olakau'atu
12. Ethan Bullemor
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Jamie Humphreys
15. Matt Lodge
16. Toff Sipley
17. Nathan Brown

• I think Reuben Garrick comes good
  • Tom is way to class when available to play anything but fullback
  • Bullemor (in my opinion) is our 3rd best forward at the club
  • Get Sipley / Lodge fit unsuspended for some time, they'd be workable
  • Get Jamie Humphreys in there !!!!!!!
  • Talau has picked himself (I REALLY wanted Paulo to bloom, but alas)

Smokin Joe

Bencher
Tough one mate, because you have to weigh up experience vs. potential, but can I please have a shot?

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jason Saab
03. Tolu Koula
04. Reuben Garrick
05. Tommy Talau
06. Luke Brooks
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Taniela Paseka
09. Jake Simpkin
10. Josh Aloiai
11. Haumole Olakau'atu
12. Ethan Bullemor
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Jamie Humphreys
15. Matt Lodge
16. Toff Sipley
17. Nathan Brown

• I think Reuben Garrick comes good
  • Tom is way to class when available to play anything but fullback
  • Bullemor (in my opinion) is our 3rd best forward at the club
  • Get Sipley / Lodge fit unsuspended for some time, they'd be workable
  • Get Jamie Humphreys in there !!!!!!!
  • Talau has picked himself (I REALLY wanted Paulo to bloom, but alas)
Nothing against your side,but it would be different to my side,that is the point I was making about junior rep sides and how they aren't that important.
You and I watch the same players each week from the same team and pick a different side,you have a couple of selectors who have to pick from a whole bunch of kids that they don't individually watch every week.
No offence to the selectors but the 2 sides running out tonight are not necessarily the best u19 sides possible.
You could argue that Naiyep at centre for us and Weatherall-Stacey at wing could be in the Qld side and Laiafi at prop could represent NSW.
Don't get me wrong,there are some serious talents out there who will be NRL players soon(some who already are)

Ryan

Journey Man
Nothing against your side,but it would be different to my side,that is the point I was making about junior rep sides and how they aren't that important.
You and I watch the same players each week from the same team and pick a different side,you have a couple of selectors who have to pick from a whole bunch of kids that they don't individually watch every week.
No offence to the selectors but the 2 sides running out tonight are not necessarily the best u19 sides possible.
You could argue that Naiyep at centre for us and Weatherall-Stacey at wing could be in the Qld side and Laiafi at prop could represent NSW.
Don't get me wrong,there are some serious talents out there who will be NRL players soon(some who already are)

Mate, thank you for that info, it does certainly give me a lot more confidence in our pathways, then.

Frogz

Bencher
Premium Member
Lehi Hopoate has come from absolutely nowhere, who knows what else may be lurking in there
Well not really out of nowhere.... But I know what you are saying. I still like us to have some on show in the rep teams.

Lehi has risen through the Sea Eagles Pathways program after joining the club at the age of 12.

He was a real leader at full-back in Manly’s undefeated Harold Matthews Cup Premiership winning team in 2021 before taking on the captaincy duties for the team in 2022.

Lehi went on to captain Manly’s SG Ball team in 2023 before being promoted to the Jersey Flegg Cup.

Following an impressive pre-season with the NRL squad, Lehi started the season at centre for the Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles in The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup.

Last November, Lehi was re-signed by Manly for a further three years.

He has also represented City at U16's

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member
Can we get them back? Crusher found Lyon didn't he? He's only 65 mate. RM Keith, you legend, where ARE you !!

So you are back on board with Crusher?

Personally think his time has past.

[*]We need new recruitment staff (Fulton is okay), but Crusher, Warwick and Des have been crap

Isn't that what Fulton, Crusher , Des and Warwick are employed for? Their sum total of the last 12 months can't be Ethan bloody Bullemor, surely.

Put it this way. Crusher failed his KPI's so badly at The Dogs, they wanted to sack him. Des then brings him back to Manly! It's a job for the boys.

Des insistence that a failing Crusher remain recruiter after failing all KPI's doesn't?

Mestrov + Des + Fulton + Crusher + Warwick is extremely underwhelming.

2 fringe signings in 2 years (despite a mass exodus) from cellar dweller teams in Bullemor and Tuilagi.

Let's at least call a spade a spade. If this is the quality we are seeking, questions have to be asked about Fulton, Des and Crusher.

Also good to see you have come around on Bullemor, always been a solid bench middle IMO

Last edited:

Ryan

Journey Man
So you are back on board with Crusher?

Personally think his time has past.

Also good to see you have come around on Bullemor, always been a solid bench middle IMO

Well, yes. When you consider what we have now, it makes Crusher look like a Porsche 718. That's what happens with time. It provides both perspective & hindsight, doesn't it. But thank you for the time you've taken to research and explore there, I hope it gave you the dopamine hit you were looking for, and hey, you extrapolated ONE emoji from it, so good for you - yaaaay.

And for the record, Crushers pots of gold DID dry up towards the end, which is why Bulldogs fired him (failing KPI's), then he stepped away at Manly. Those players he found were early on, remember, which kind of makes the time you invested into attempting to shame me wasted, mate - sorry to disappoint.

BUT, like I said, hope it gave you the thrills you were after. I'm sure you'll say that wasn't your intention, but that's just BS, and just shows how petty you've become.

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member
Well, yes. When you consider what we have now, it makes Crusher look like a Porsche 718. That's what happens with time. It provides both perspective & hindsight, doesn't it. But thank you for the time you've taken to research and explore there, I hope it gave you the dopamine hit you were looking for, and hey, you extrapolated ONE emoji from it, so good for you - yaaaay.

And for the record, Crushers pots of gold DID dry up towards the end, which is why Bulldogs fired him (failing KPI's), then he stepped away at Manly. Those players he found were early on, remember, which kind of makes the time you invested into attempting to shame me wasted, mate - sorry to disappoint.

BUT, like I said, hope it gave you the thrills you were after. I'm sure you'll say that wasn't your intention, but that's just BS, and just shows how petty you've become.
Dont get salty, was simply asking you a question.

You seemed to want Crusher out and now you want him back so was keen to hear your reasoning.

As you say, Crushers gold did dry up, so why do you think bringing him back now would be different?

*as for research, the search function is your friend. The above took about two minutes

Smokin Joe

Bencher
Maybe Rubes can get his future brother in law, Wishart up here from the Storm
Have to agree,was watching the Storm game and even though he was playing 6,he came in regularly to dummy half and the vision and passing and running was outstanding.
He is a natural 9 but gets little opportunity behind Grant(even when he is out),he is so versatile,he can play half and wing as well.
Would love to have him here,a real competitor too.

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18
14 7 7 -50 18
14 7 7 -79 18
15 7 7 28 17