2024 Optimist/Pessimist Thread - How are you feeling?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

2024 Optimist/Pessimist Thread - How are you feeling?

• Optimistic

Votes: 72 88.9%
  • On the fence (get off it!)

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Pessimistic

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
Can I just also say, in respect to what I've written, I "HOPE" I'm terribly ****ing wrong , and that we go undefeated and destroy every team we play, teaching them a lesson in pain and suffering along the way.
I hope your way off Ryan, but respect to the fact your simply participating in this good thread with your own opinion and being honest...your as Avid a Manly supporter as anyone on here, but keeping it real is what makes this site an interesting read.

I would concur that a lot of teams have improved , so it’s not like we are the only one on the improve which will see us jump 7 spots, we’ve improved but so have many others.

The reason I’m optimistic, is it’s February, and we haven’t lost a run of games yet , maybe ask me again in April as we really do have a horror start to season 24.

In answer to @Ryan yes I hope you’re wrong , but sadly for a fair while you’ve been bang on.

However one of the very big reasons you could be wrong mate is , and finally , after a string of years there really does seem to be competition for spots.

Who is guaranteed

DCE
Brooks
Jurbo
Turbo
Garrick
Big O
Croker ( he wouldn’t be a guarantee with me coach but I reckon Seibs will pick him every week based around his work ethic).
Saab
Koula

To me that leaves 4 run on spots ( one a winger ) & 4 bench spots very much up for competition.

Assume Jake is prop

You then have Lodge , Paseka , Sipley , AOA & my man Bully fighting for one run on spot.

Who partners Big O in the second row ?? Strangely , Burbo might be the man.

And you’d assume there’s quite a few vying for lock, Schuster / Brown the front runners.

Then the bench,

Obviously two more big men
Then maybe you have Humphreys / Arthur / Gordie
And possibly Lawton who can be a bit of a put anywhere man.

But for those 8 spots there’s literally the rest of the top 30 all fighting for the spots and most of them will do a good job.

And that’s the difference from say 2-3 years ago @Ryan and where I think we have actually improved.

I’m confident , but ask me again in 2 months or so.

All very good points mate. And agree on Bullemor. Probably my favourite Manly forward. Garrick favourite back. They just exude class and character to me.

Agree, our start (draw) is horrendous. It's such a shame Lodge isn't ready to go.

Also, we only need one (was it one?) more win than last season and we are playing finals. It's all so close.

It'll be a bloody exciting season though. I'm really looking more forward to this one than the last few, don't know why, but it seems the whole community is like that right now, which is great.

The off field stuff, mint. Top notch. Amazing. And they've all also behaved. Say AAA+ on that front Mr Mestrov and co (and this may be unpopular, but our owner has been willing to invest big in back staff this year).

All very good points mate. And agree on Bullemor. Probably my favourite Manly forward. Garrick favourite back. They just exude class and character to me.

Agree, our start (draw) is horrendous. It's such a shame Lodge isn't ready to go.

Also, we only need one (was it one?) more win than last season and we are playing finals. It's all so close.

It'll be a bloody exciting season though. I'm really looking more forward to this one than the last few, don't know why, but it seems the whole community is like that right now, which is great.

The off field stuff, mint. Top notch. Amazing. And they've all also behaved. Say AAA+ on that front Mr Mestrov and co (and this may be unpopular, but our owner has been willing to invest big in back staff this year).
Yes it would seem that way ( your last line ).

The fan engagement this year has been the best I’ve ever seen , there’s enthusiasm being shown from all quarters.

I really like that hard nosed pommy trainer they’ve brought in.

Loads of reasons to be optimistic BUT s as I say , ask me in two months.

I would concur that a lot of teams have improved , so it’s not like we are the only one on the improve which will see us jump 7 spots, we’ve improved but so have many others.

The reason I’m optimistic, is it’s February, and we haven’t lost a run of games yet , maybe ask me again in April as we really do have a horror start to season 24.

In answer to @Ryan yes I hope you’re wrong , but sadly for a fair while you’ve been bang on.

However one of the very big reasons you could be wrong mate is , and finally , after a string of years there really does seem to be competition for spots.

Who is guaranteed

DCE
Brooks
Jurbo
Turbo
Garrick
Big O
Croker ( he wouldn’t be a guarantee with me coach but I reckon Seibs will pick him every week based around his work ethic).
Saab
Koula

To me that leaves 4 run on spots ( one a winger ) & 4 bench spots very much up for competition.

Assume Jake is prop

You then have Lodge , Paseka , Sipley , AOA & my man Bully fighting for one run on spot.

Who partners Big O in the second row ?? Strangely , Burbo might be the man.

And you’d assume there’s quite a few vying for lock, Schuster / Brown the front runners.

Then the bench,

Obviously two more big men
Then maybe you have Humphreys / Arthur / Gordie
And possibly Lawton who can be a bit of a put anywhere man.

But for those 8 spots there’s literally the rest of the top 30 all fighting for the spots and most of them will do a good job.

And that’s the difference from say 2-3 years ago @Ryan and where I think we have actually improved.

I’m confident , but ask me again in 2 months or so.
I think you are right on the safe list. Seibs implied he would rest all the safe guys and none of them are playing this week.

Paseka & Sipley MUST be starting props. Those two are as good as any starting props from any other teams. Our forwards can match it with all teams. If they do our backs will kill it.
Paseka
Sipley
Jrbo
Lodge
Aloiai
Ola'kauatu
Schuster
Bullemor
Brbo
Brown
Lawton
Aitasi James
Waddell
Woods
Matterson
Condon

Don't tell me we haven't got competitive forwards!!!! As for the backs.......speed to burn & cause major damage.
Trbo
Saab
Garrick
Koula
Paulo
Talau
Parker
Veaga
Faulalo
Hodgson

Halves plenty of depth also.
DCE
Brooks
Arthur
Humphreys
Wakeham

Hookers......Croker, GKCT, Humphreys

YES I'm very optimistic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Finally feels like no matter who we put on the team sheet we will be competing.. and that feeling hasn't been around for a while.. even 2021 we still carried duds on the team sheet

I am really, really excited for this season. I have loved everything that I have seen from the club and players in the off season and that has totally brainwashed me into me being a tentative optimist. That's huge for me because it is the first time I have felt positive about a season in ages ..... BUT ...... We have a tough draw to start the season and that causes my default realist / pessimist / grumpy old bastard persona to kick in.
  1. South (away) L We all know we rarely start a season well
  2. Roosters (home) L
  3. Parra (away) 50/50
  4. Dragons (away) 50/50 Even though they are **** we rarely beat them down there.
  5. Panthers (home) L
  6. Warriors (away) 50/50
  7. Titans W
  8. Parra 50/50
  9. Raider W
  10. Titans W
  11. Broncos L
  12. Storm (at home) 50/50
  13. Bye W
  14. Panthers L
So for the moment my arse will stay with splinters on it from sitting on the fence.

If after the first 6 rounds we are 3 from 6 or better then for the first time ever I will join the optimist side.

Last edited:
I am really, really excited for this season. I have loved everything that I have seen from the club and players in the off season and that has totally brainwashed me into me being a tentative optimist. That's huge for me because it is the first time I have felt positive about a season in ages ..... BUT ...... We have a tough draw to start the season and that causes my default realist / pessimist / grumpy old bastard persona to kick in.
  1. South (away) L We all know we rarely start a season well
  2. Roosters (home) L
  3. Parra (away) 50/50
  4. Dragons (away) 50/50 Even though they are **** we rarely beat them down there.
  5. Panthers (home) L
  6. Warriors (away) 50/50
  7. Titans W
  8. Parra 50/50
  9. Raider W
  10. Titans W
  11. Broncos L
  12. Storm (at home) 50/50
  13. Bye W
  14. Panthers L
So for the moment my arse will stay with splinters on it from sitting on the fence.

If after the first 6 rounds we are 3 from 6 or better then for the first time ever I will join the optimist side.
I am a little bit more optimistic about our first five games @Wombat64 . I can see us 4/5 after five rounds, with our first loss being either Parra away, or the Panthers at home.

I think the Souths game will be a hard read too.

Smaller field, the unique travel and experience. Not sure we'll be able to read much into a win or loss.

Love that we are one of the Vegas teams but it does disrupt us

100% optimistic.

It's all sunshine, rainbows and lollipops.
I can't believe you used the "r" word, mave. Asking for trouble!

Just like last year, I think it's pointless to hazard a guess as to where we might end up without first seeing the team play. Give it six or eight rounds and we should have a better idea. Even then, things can go south in a hurry, and we have a habit of finding new and creative ways to shoot ourselves in our collective foot. Which I guess makes me a pessimist who's hoping for the best.

I’m more optimistic this year than I have been for the last couple… the manly media team have done a great job of brainwashing me.

It just seems like our squad is much more balanced and has matured into a very competitive unit.

Realistically we will still rely on Tom. But if he plays a good portion of the season we will make the top 6.

6th to 10th. If we have a good run with injuries (and if Brooksy is in the running for buy of year) I think we can squeeze into the 8.

But gee it looks tight and will be one of the closest comps on record.

Always optimistic, a tough start, but I am predicting wins the first 3 games on the trot, is that optimistic enough? We are better this year than last, more depth, we should of finished higher last year but for a bounce of the ball, no Turbo last year, and if we lose him, we have better coverage, possible 4, definite 8

Round 7 v Titans
Seibold v Des
This is not just Premiership Points
For those that know Des. His Big Ego is out of control and Des is Pissed off
This is Personal
1708046930937.png

I enjoyed reading this thread—a lot of quality posts.

I could see Manly finishing anywhere from 3rd to 13th. Our range would be one of the widest of any team. Our best is very good. Our worst is pretty grim.

The bookies have us finishing around 9th based on their odds. So given that I'm an optimist. Here's hoping everything can click and I'm going to say we finish 5th.

Tommy will be injured for more of the season than is not, just like last few seasons.
Its hard to disagree. If the team shares the workload around a bit more it might help, but our need to put nearly all of the creation workload on his shoulders is pretty evident on the field and with results when he is out.

manly really needs to use him more as a hole runner, rather than a tackle breaker or the man to open up the defence. In half gaps he is elite, he just has to do so much himself and has that mindset to do so

its up to brooks and dce to do more in the frontline And maybe we will get more game time out of our biggest hope

even last year when he was hobbling, the ball was just handed off to him rather than trying to stretch or confuse the defence first

to be any chance of being a finals team we need to be smarter , just not sure we have those smarts yet

He may injure himself in the shower though

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8