2024 Optimist/Pessimist Thread - How are you feeling?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

2024 Optimist/Pessimist Thread - How are you feeling?

• Optimistic

Votes: 72 88.9%
  • On the fence (get off it!)

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Pessimistic

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters
Come on what's not to be optimistic about at this time of year. I like our recruitment and our squad has some real depth. I agree with the view that a lot will depend on our forwards standing up and dominating opposition packs this year. Plus we need to improve our defence and tenacity significantly this year. I like what I've seen on the "Manly Way" and the players look happy and appear to be bonding and buying into the approach of the coaching staff. Hoping the injury gods are kind to us and that we fly high this year! I was confident last year but this is a new year. Go Manly.

Liked what i have seen from seibs. Love we have got a prop , a halfback and some depth. Look a little less reliant on Tommy who has to have some luck surely

just wondering if that fixes our mental toughness and aptitude which has been our achilles heel. Tommy does fix that to a certain extent as he sets the bar very high and expects others to follow

im optimistic that we are better without tommy if he is injured ,and super optimistic if he is there but as we have seen no guarantees

last year pessimist i was, this year fence sitter due to how poorly we cope without our fullback

If the Roosters put a score on us on the weekend the wrist slashers will be back in force on Monday -calling for Siebs head, recruitment suck eg Paulo and Talau are rubbish…..
hence why I wanted tog et the poll rolling early - as we might eb about to test the Optimism!

We will finish in about the same position as we did last year. I am genuinely struggling to see real improvements in the squad. If you have second rate first graders with third & fourth rate depth players, it doesn't mean you have improved the roster. Brooks has a losing culture ingrained in him and that doesn't evaporate with a single pre-season. The forward pack is fundamentally no different to last year. Difficult to be optimistic with those ingredients.

Paseka & Sipley MUST be starting props. Those two are as good as any starting props from any other teams. Our forwards can match it with all teams. If they do our backs will kill it.
Paseka
Sipley
Jrbo
Lodge
Aloiai
Ola'kauatu
Schuster
Bullemor
Brbo
Brown
Lawton
Aitasi James
Waddell
Woods
Matterson
Condon

Don't tell me we haven't got competitive forwards!!!! As for the backs.......speed to burn & cause major damage.
Trbo
Saab
Garrick
Koula
Paulo
Talau
Parker
Veaga
Faulalo
Hodgson

Halves plenty of depth also.
DCE
Brooks
Arthur
Humphreys
Wakeham

Hookers......Croker, GKCT, Humphreys

YES I'm very optimistic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the Roosters put a score on us on the weekend the wrist slashers will be back in force on Monday -calling for Siebs head, recruitment suck eg Paulo and Talau are rubbish…..

I expect the roosters to win comfortably in the trial, we seem to be resting most the big names where the roosters seem to be near full strength.
Their stars will probably get less than half a game but still will win by a decent margin.

I'm expecting to finish the season somewhere around eighth but depending on injuries and the rub of the green we will finish anywhere from fourth to twelfth.

Last year, I have never looked forward to a season less. Following the Pride-less mutiny, Dessie's sacking, choice of the wrong coach and assistants, injury curse. Had no confidence and was fully justified, unfortunately.
This year, I am allowing myself a twinge of (premature?) optimism. At least while Tommy is fully fit and raring to go. Surely the squad as per @madmax post is better than what we saw in 2023!
I have to count as a fence sitter, with a definite tendency to be one of @The Wheel's wrist slashers. But I will not be freaked out by losing our Preseason Challenge crown, LOL.

We will surprise a few good teams this year. Top 4 finish.

The small tweaks to the playing squad are just what we needed.

For me, players like Garrick, Koula, Burbo, Froggy and Guacamole are going to be big standouts.

If the forwards can hit the advantage line we will be hard to stop.

We will finish in about the same position as we did last year. I am genuinely struggling to see real improvements in the squad. If you have second rate first graders with third & fourth rate depth players, it doesn't mean you have improved the roster. Brooks has a losing culture ingrained in him and that doesn't evaporate with a single pre-season. The forward pack is fundamentally no different to last year. Difficult to be optimistic with those ingredients.
You could be right but tommy is always the wildcard based on appearances. His presence is HUUUUGE

If we can keep our Best 17 - 22 players healthy in 2024, this is a very competitive looking squad, who have the ability to score many points from anywhere.....the thing will be stopping them.
The key to defence is and always will be attitude, with structures, technique and high fitness levels to execute this apprears to have been prioritised over the off season, but can't be assessed till the season proper kicks off.
Everything seems to be aligning in area's we needed...
A few youngsters coming into Prime form
Additional tough heads to add that needed mongrel
Another 3 potential X factors as "Tom Is Back", Brooks adds flair in a speedy backline, Schu has trained well (regardless of negative press) - all 3 were pretty much non factors in 2023.
The Garrick to centre I like and he has become more than an honest player and I reckon will make numerous linebreaks this season.
Another Massive part of this season which will be key, is the options off the bench at dummy half, which will add far more attacking thrust and the rugged Croker can handle the tough early exchanges with some zip off the bench 25m into each half thru Hump[hrey / GCKT.
THere is a huge improvement in depth when needed and almost an awakening where Beaver, Snake, Cliffy, Watmough, Tooves and other past greats are now getting involved to try gain back that Manly DNA with the curreny squad and this is a Huge factor imo.
Optimistic yes, realistic yes - there is no doubt this side has the makings of a genuine contender, but as fans we have to now pass the baton to the players, who need to show the desire of these past great sides to make a serious play at the Premieship title....Let's Go !!!

Quietly optimistic. I expect we will comfortably make the 8, and even a real chance of the 4 if key things fall into place.

On paper, generally happy with the team. Recruitment has been a positive, and we've added a 5/8 and depth across the team. The only area on paper that concerns me is hooker. I love Froggy, and also excited and hopeful for Hump and Go Kart coming through. However, I still don't see that position as being top level with the better teams, at this point. Hopefully, one of Go Kart or Hump have a huge year, and help Froggy to strengthen that role.

A few key things that need to improve ...

1. Less injuries (especially to key players)
2. Better control of the ruck (ruck speed)
3. Performances for the full 80 (not giving away cheap points just before half or full time, nor a cluster of points in a short time)

And Schu is as much an off-field X-factor as he is an on-field X-factor. If he plays, and turns things around he could be a huge bonus for us. However, I still think this team can do extremely well, even if Schu continues to splutter this season.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8